Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How to price bee removal

99K views 48 replies 36 participants last post by  Beebeard 
#1 ·
I was thinking of doing some bee removal and wanted to know how everyone figures pricing.

#2 ·
This is the rules for this thread..

Feel free to post the metheod by which you calulate bee removal prices...

Stay on topic...anything that I deem is off topic or not advancing the topic will be deleted.

Some of my calulations include..location in the building..the higher they are, the more I charge..distance from me...the further away, the higher the price..:)

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Feel free to post the metheod by which you calulate bee removal prices...

Stay on topic...anything that I deem is off topic or not advancing the topic will be deleted.

Some of my calulations include..location in the building..the higher they are, the more I charge..distance from me...the further away, the higher the price..:)

75 per man hr...the higher they are the better

#7 ·
Well a near by swarm I can see doing it for free since it is free bees. It is in a wall of a house or attic that is really what I am looking for. Do you have any trouble after you told the homeowner you are going to cut his wall open and are done with the job. Do you get a signed contract and when do you ask for the money?

#8 ·
Do you get a signed contract and when do you ask for the money?

Always get a signed contract..I require money at the end of the cutout...I let my wife collect, they don't give her a hard time:D.

The contract should spell out exactly what will be done, and that you do not repair the damage, you just make it(hole)..and make sure you include any electrical damage as well, ya just never know what you will run into.:)

#9 ·
I don't do removals....... but I do overhead door
work. The same issues apply. Give the customer
a write up on what you are doing in detail and
the price before you do the work. They are happy,
no surprises.

Write the same work up after.......... same amount
of money......... they scream.

#11 ·
How to have (semi) flexible pricing in a professional way... I would be very seriously interested in how others have managed this.

I charge $75 an hour with a travel charge. I am not a contractor so I do not do repairs.

I often run into people who either:
-aren't able/ willing to pay this price
-are going to spray raid at the bees after I tell them my price, even though I tell them I charge 2-3 times as much to come clean up the results of their bad choice

In many cases (when I am not too busy) I would be happy or willing to do these jobs at at a reduced rate.

My question: how do you manage to adjust your rates, to get these 'customers' back but still sound totally professional?

thanks for the input.

#13 ·
Ditto. In my experience a good portion of them clearly have been sprayed. And YEP I charge... removals are physical, messy and dangerous, wielding power tools up on ladders and such. And the work is about half done when you get home, don't forget the care for the bees and the CLEANUP when you get home.

#14 ·
I also run into colonies that have been sprayed, and tell everyone beforehand (in a contract) that I will be able to see this (it is obvious) and charge more accordingly....

however, in my part of the world, (from what I have read about you guys all trapping, chasing swarms, etc) the population of unmanaged /"feral" hives is MUCH less up here.

I therefore wouldn't mind adjusting my rate ocasionally. any advice?

yes, the CLEAN UP at home is something that should obviously be factored in...

#15 ·
How to Price Removals

I'm in PA outside Philadelphia.

I charge by the hour - $75, with a two hour minimum. Thinking about upping this by $10 or $20 - what are others charging in the PA/NJ/NY area?

When I first talk to the potential customer, I let them describe the situation to me in as much detail as they can, and let them tell me if they sprayed or not. I charge $15/hr more if the bees have been sprayed.

I have been out to do removals in the past where I was assured they were honeybees, only to find yellowjackets. The prep work (empty supers, empty frames with rubber bands, etc., loading up, travel time, etc.) makes the minimum a necessity.

Last year I did not do removals as a result of moving a good distance from my hives. This year I'll be doing them again as a result of losing my job back in February.

Travel time sounds like a good idea - I sometimes get calls from people an hour or more away. What do you charge for this? An extra hour tacked onto your minimum? I advertise "free estimates," but when they're real far, I can't do this and need to figure a fair way to charge for the travel.

Oh - I have a contract that I describe to the customer before I even drive out, and I have them sign it after I've looked over the situation but before I start any actual work. It says basically three things:

1. Bees sting. I'm not liable for any stings that occur on the property.
2. Accidental damage may occur - I'm not liable for accidental damage.
3. The Homeowner is responsible for any repairs that may be necessary.

-Pete :)

#16 ·
For cutouts, I charge $100.00 per hour with a 2 hr minimum for the time to access the bees and remove them. I do not charge for the time waiting around for them to cluster back up. If it is more than a 25 or 30 mile round trip, I charge $0.50 per mile for travel time. If the colony is in an object that I can just screen off and take with me I usually charge 1/2 the minimum ($100.00) depending on how easy it is to screen them off and load them up.

If the owner has some materials available (insulation, sheetrock, plywood, etc.) then I will do quick simple rough repairs to get the cavity closed up. They will be responsible for any finish work (plaster repair, texture, caulking, painting, etc.).

For swarms, if they are within an hours drive, its a $75.00 service charge, even if the swarm is gone when I get there.

When folks decide that my fee is too high and they say they will just spray the bees themselves or such, I tell them good luck, I also remind them that I have no interest in helping after their failed attempt. A "You started it, you finish it" type attitude. If they tell me its been several months or more since they were sprayed, then I tell them I will evaluate the situation on site and may or may not accept the job.

I have been known to cut my fee substantially in cases of extreme need (widows on fixed income, etc.). Once in a while I have been known to trade services for items of equal value (boats, autos, etc.) as well.

#17 ·
$0.50 per mile, plus $100 per hour. 1 hour minimum. I did remove a swarm two days ago for the cost of fuel, and I will never do that again!

I got the bees hived, they started building comb, took off, and now all I have for the three hours it took me to drive there, hive the swarm, drive back home, and set them up is the 10 or so bees that were left in the box! I guess I'm building up the population of feral bees in the area!

justgojumpit

#18 ·
I charge $100 per hr with a two hr minimum for cutouts. A helper is charged at $20 per hr. I charge 50 cents a mile for those over 10 miles from my location. Any special equipment (scaffolding for instance) is additional. $250 toxic exposure fee if they have been sprayed. Swarms are usually free unless they settle inside a difficult area for removal.

I have not yet encountered a financially stressed situation but would eliminate any cost for someone in financial difficulty.

#19 ·
I have been asking for gas money on swarms that are 30+ miles away and havent had any problems getting it. I've only done 3 cutouts, the first one was free:)doh:) and I charged $150 for the next 2. It wasnt enough for the work but I had fun working bee's w/ my wife and made a couple families happy they had no bee's in their home anymore!!!! They didnt seem to have a problem w/ $150.00 either. I may start charging more just to see where I stand around here. I think I'd chg more for a trapout due to the time it takes to keep goining back and possible loss of equipment etc..

#20 ·
Depends on a number of factors-distance-time involved-the attitude of the people requesting my services (the ruder or whiney the more it costs them) and the cooperation of the person requesting services, and for my own reasons the age of the people requesting my services the older the cheaper it is.

#24 ·
I am not a lawyer. Use the below at your own risk - I assume NO RESPONSIBILITY should you decide to use any or all of the following verbiage.

Constructive criticism is welcome.

AGAIN: YOU assume ALL risk and responsibility should you choose to use any or all of the below verbiage in any contract:

------

Bee Removal Date__________________

Location ______________________________________

Cost/Rate _______________________

I have been warned that bees sting, and that there will be flying bees during the bee/hive removal process. I agree that [BEEKEEPER'S NAME] shall not be held liable for any stings that occur on the above property.

Significant care will be taken not to create damage other than that required to remove the bees/hive. I understand that accidental damage may occur, and I therefore agree that [BEEKEEPER'S NAME] shall not be held liable for damage that may occur during the bee/hive removal process.

The terms of this agreement are for bee/hive removal only. Once the bees and hive are removed, the Property Owner is responsible for any repairs that may be necessary.

By signing below I agree to the terms of this agreement.

Property Owner ______________________________________ Date______________

Beekeeper ___________________________________________ Date______________

#25 ·
BTW, I now charge $100/hr with a $250 minimum. I price most of my jobs by the hour, though I price some jobs (where I have a reasonably good idea how long the job will take) by the job - usually in the $400 - $500 range. When I price a job by the hour, I provide a "cap" so the client knows the maximum the job will cost - usually around $600. I maintain a list of reference clients, and I keep track of all jobs and estimates with both photos and written records.

I provide free honeybee removal estimates, but charge $35 - $50 ($50 for a commercial client) if I show up and the "honeybees" are YJs or some other insect. I explain this clearly beforehand, and talk the client through identification for as long as it takes (so we both feel comfortable) on the phone prior to the estimate.

I service three counties, so I sometimes drive over an hour to get to a job. When all is said and done, I can spend 8 to 9 hours including prep, drive time, bee disposal (hive setup, etc.), and cleanup on a 4 hour job, which works out to $50/hr. Pretty reasonable for the client and for me, in my opinion.

HTH

-Pete

#28 ·
Do not forget to treat them before you bring them home.

Treat them for what? Treat them with what?

Some of my strongest hives going into winter were cutouts I did this summer. The combs got rubber banded into frames, put into boxes, and I brought them home like that. The only treatment they received is a 'smoke treatment' to calm them down during the cutout.

Kokosing Valley Beekeepers meet in MV during the summer. I encourage you to show up. Email knoxbees@yahoo.com to get added to the mailing list.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.