32 vs 64 bit OS

Thread: 32 vs 64 bit OS

Default 32 vs 64 bit OS

Hi,
    I just bought a toshiba laptop with 32bit OS, I found another laptop with same configuration but with 64bit OS about the same price. Is it worth returning this one and buying the other?

I am just a home user no funky stuff here..

toshiba a305-s6905 vs toshiba a305-s6908, 674 vs 650

appreciate your help..

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I bought the 64 bit and have found that a lot more programs will not run on 64 bit as 32. I wish I had 32. I really wish I had XP
    Ashland, Kentucky

don't go 64 bit unless you have a reason to
    it creates compatibility issues and gives you a performance boost of a type you probably don't need

Dave

OHHH ba humbug Yaw bunch o scrooges!!

If your getting a laptop it will have all the drivers you need for the machine installed. Any addon equipment after that, just check before you buy. Most things will work if they are new. The 64 bit OS (Windoz) I'm assuming will emulate the 32 bit system to run your 32 bit software.

Just know that 32 software runs with 32 bit access, so it will not run as fast as the same 64 bit software. So you will see some better performance overall but not everything. Software companies are being slow to move up, but more are coming along all the time. You aren't going to have all the problems everyone likes to lay claim to. I've been running on it for a long time now. Nothing I've wanted to do yet that I can't.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Depends on your uses. Graphics programs with their high need for memory and a fast memory pipeline really benefit from 64 bit, as 64 bit versions of Windows can process twice as much information in the same time as 32 bit, and can access much more RAM than 32 bit counterparts. That includes vector/raster programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop or other image processing programs, and games. Spreadsheets, word processing, browsing the web will run about the same speed on both 32 and 64 OS's.

Most 32 bit software is compatible on 64 bit operating systems. The only problem might be older hardware, where 64 bit drivers might be difficult to obtain (such as scanners and some printers).

MM

Mapman is right. We bought a 64 bit server at work as a test. A lot of printer drivers only kind of work. Copy machine/scanner drivers are a real headache. Then you find the program that you really want but it won't run in the environment.

We ran Autocad on it but didn't see any appreciable advantage. It might be easier for home if you just run the run of the mill programs and make sure your printer will have 64 bit drivers. When you have 20 printers/copiers and only half work it is a headache.

and with a 64 bit machine you can address a little more RAM as well I think, which can really speed things up

Quote Originally Posted by beedeetee View Post
    We ran Autocad on it but didn't see any appreciable advantage.
    You must have a 64-bit version of Autocad in order to see any difference - Autocad has been behind on developing 64-bit Vista-compliant software. In fact, VBA routines within Autocad are taking more time to run because VBA until recently has been 32-bit.

Where you'll see a large increase in speed is when you are dealing with huge data files, which formerly had to be swapped to disk. In addition, with 64-bit you'll see a performance gain because you can access this faster memory through a faster bus.

Did you know that you can utilize - fast - SD flash cards/USB drives as additional memory within Vista 64? I'm not talking as swap memory, but directly as RAM. See Microsoft ReadyBoost for more info.

MM

Thumbs Up

Thanks guys, as always you guys are great!

I think I'll keep it. besides there's a 15% restocking fee.. I was just kinda feeling that I didn't get the latest laptop!

do you think 32 bit will be outdated in next 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by balhanapi View Post
    do you think 32 bit will be outdated in next 3 years?
    Of course, there will be a gradual move to 64. It has taken quite a while to get it accepted by more vendors, and some software developers have taken a hands-off approach, as the user base has been slow to adopt 64-bit architecture machines. Seeing Win XP 64 was released nearly four years ago, you're probably okay for now.

I use 64-bit Vista because I use graphics-oriented software, some of which is very pricey (Arc-GIS, AutoCAD Map 3D, etc...) . Updating the software was a cost I could live with, and pass along to clients.

MM