Tree stump
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tree stump

Default Tree stump

We brought down a 24 inch tree down in my backyard. My question is what do I use to kill the stump?

By the way Poulan 400E electric chainsaw is absolutely phenomenonal!!

and by the way now my bees will have much more sun

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

What I've been doing is-

Wrap it with black plastic, couple of layers, and cover it with a deep mound of much. No Sun = Dead stump and its non-toxic.

take it from me, A FULL time tree service. Stump kill solutions do not work. Find someone with a stumpgrinder in your area and have it done.....once and for all. We grind stumps as a part of our removals....

There are some fungal innoc's you can drill and fill with. Kinda like growing Shitake mushrooms......but it will take TIME!

That's kinda what I was thinking. If you like mushrooms and have a stump to get rid of, enjoy the best of both worlds.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Default Stump killer

One of the best ways to kill the tree stump is to make a checkerboard cut pattern with your new chainsaw and pour about 2 cups of ammonium nitrate fertilizer over the cuts. Potassium nitrate is sold in garden centers as stump killer. Both of the nitrates are highly soluable in water and that is the way they kill the stump. The nitrate will help the stump to decompose over time.
    Ammonium sulphate is also used.
    Just do not mix any charcoal and sulpher with your ammonuim nitrate.
    Regards,
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Thanks for the responses. I kinda want to have it there so don't want to get it grinded.
    was thinking isn't there a solution that can preserve it as it is? it is close to my bees so don't want to use anything harmful.

How long will I have to cover it to make sure it is dead?

Thanks Bizzybee for the fertilizer idea, hadn't read your response when I was writing the reply..

just trim all the new shoots that come up on it
    no leaves, no photosynthesis
    it'll take it a little while to work (maybe 2 years) but who's in a hurry
    if you want to save it pour linseed oil on it
    it won't last forever but that will help
    disclaimer: I'm making this up as I go
    we did the same thing on Saturday and my wife wants to put a potted plant on the stump, this is my plan
    man, I got a lot of firewood to split

Dave

Default What kind of tree was it?

Some trees do not sprout from stumps or roots if they do not have adventitious buds.

Hey what can I say, if you like the idea and it works, I'll take the credit

Even I surprise me sometimes!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

I have a can of linseed oil sitting around, I can definately use it. Will it kill the tree?

Hey Odfrank it was a maple tree. I know now u will say it is a good source of early pollen but this one was too shady for the hives. I have 5-6 more on my property..

Drobbins I can keep cutting the shoots thats not a problem. I was told by a friend that if I don't take care of the stump then the roots will keep growing and may cause problems like get to the foundation etc. Don't know how true it is..

Quote Originally Posted by BEES4U View Post
    One of the best ways to kill the tree stump is to make a checkerboard cut pattern with your new chainsaw and pour about 2 cups of ammonium nitrate fertilizer over the cuts. Ernie
    Naw you gots to have a little deisel fuel and a long fuse to remove it with the fertilizer method

Quote Originally Posted by balhanapi View Post

By the way Poulan 400E electric chainsaw is absolutely phenomenonal!!

Wait till you get your hands on a real saw

I always knew you had an alter ego riverrat, the pryorat is finally rearing it's ugly head

Riverrat, yes this is my first chainsaw, but my friend who was helping me has used chainsaws in the past and he was also impressed with it. did the job well and costs 80 dollars! I am impressed..

*never mind* Comment was answered in a post I had skipped.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by BEES4U View Post
    One of the best ways to kill the tree stump is to make a checkerboard cut pattern with your new chainsaw and pour about 2 cups of ammonium nitrate fertilizer over the cuts.
    I've read that the same can be done with a little Roundup, poured on the # cuts full strength.

be done with it....GRIND it. stump kill solutions are hogwash....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpnfnpU65jg

Quote Originally Posted by No_Bivy View Post
    take it from me, A FULL time tree service. Stump kill solutions do not work. Find someone with a stumpgrinder in your area and have it done.....once and for all. We grind stumps as a part of our removals....
    I agree. The only way to go is a stump grinder. In our area the local tool rental places rent stump grinders. The are interesting machines, easy to operate, and you may save some money by DIY. A few years ago, I ground about fifteen oak and ash stumps with no previous experience and no difficulties.

About twenty years ago I tried to get rid of a stump using both chemicals, fire, rotting, etc. The stump was still there many years later and after much effort. I even tried burning brush over it. But, I'll have to admit it was a black locust tree. There is a reason black locust is used for fence posts. A stump grinder is the way to remove stumps.
    Last edited by Galaxy; 12-09-2008 at 07:46 AM.
    From each according to his ability, to each according to his contribution. Charles Koch

>>>>I kinda want to have it there so don't want to get it grinded.
    was thinking isn't there a solution that can preserve it as it is?<<<<

Someone isn't reading. He doesn't want the stump gone, just not re-sprouting. Grinding is OUT! He wants to kill and preserve it.

Yes iddee, I do not always read all the previous posts.

How high is the stump? I have seen some stumps that are a few feet high in lawns that have been made very attractive by planting vines like clementis, ivy, confederate jasmine, etc. around the base and allowing them to cover the stump.

If you cut the shoots regularly, the stump will die.
    From each according to his ability, to each according to his contribution. Charles Koch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast