bee gum

Thread: bee gum

Default bee gum

We recently cut down a large tree in our backyard. I have some large pieces of trunk laying around. My question is how do I cut out the insides of a trunk to make it hollow from inside so as to resemble a natural bee tree? I have variable lengths 1ft to 10 feet and 1 feet wide to almost 2.5 feet wide.

Any sugesstions?

p.s I know its illegal to keep bees in non removable frame hives this is more for experimental purposes..

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Chainsaw with carving bar and chain.

you split it in half and chop out the centers and tie the 2 halves together (with a vine if you wanna be super authentic) the bees will glue up the cracks. normally one would put a swarm in such a gum. i had a neighbor years ago that kept bees in gums. not recommended.
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Now this is entirely new to me. whats a carving chain and bar? I tried to look online for a while but couldn't get a good idea about it.

where can I actually see this bar and chain in real? I mean what store would carry it?

call a tree service and see if they have any hollow logs........or maybe a wood waste recycling place.

I don't really want to contradict you but I got a lot of hits when I googled chainsaw carving bar. the bar is wider near to where it attaches to the saw and tapers down as it gets near the tip. But you will have to plunge cut with it to make it work and if you haven't tried that before it can be a little intimidating, especially if the saw starts to chatter.