Ford truck fuel pump
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ford truck fuel pump

Twice during the last week, the fuel pump on my Ford 350 stopped working. A couple raps on the tank with a hammer and it would start working again. Decided I better get it replaced before it quits altogether, or stops at a very inconvenient time. The truck is six years old. Anyone else had to have their pump replaced? I was floored to find out the cost of the repair. $546
    The pump alone was $364.
    Regards, Barry

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

When the fuel pump went out on my Isuzu truck, the dealer wanted 325 for a replacement. I went to a local parts chain and got it for 46.50. Maybe you should shop around.

Own a Ford, NEVER.

Are you sure it's not the gas you bought? The reason I ask is that DH had a Ford truck several years ago that started acting like the fuel pump was out when he bought some Texaco gas that turned out to be bad. Saved him a fortune when he figured out what it was.
    Now I'll go back to the other threads where I don't feel completely incompetent.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Default Hey Barry

Those things do wear out. Many of them are internal, in the tank. Liability to repair...Get two estimates to know more. I used to LOVE TO WORK ON CARS but now find it better to leave to the pros. Also, better to fix now before it completely gives up the ghost on the side of the road.

Default Also

Get down on a creeper go underneath and check the GROUND. Could be a poor connection to ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    Get down on a creeper go underneath and check the GROUND. Could be a poor connection to ground.
    Very sound advice Tom, ditto here.

Ah heck, that's not much for the repair Barry, considering all that money you saved on pollen patties.

there are several pumps that fit you truck make sure you repalce the strainer,and might have to get wiring harness for warranty on new pump here is a pice sheet on pumps from napa in tn you will see my cost and list which most shop sell at because they warranty their work i pulled a trans 7 times last week the customer only paid for 1 time thats why we have markup i have put pumps in that are defected, not fum pullings tank with gas in the for free busby
    Fuel Pump - Electric In-Tank Type - Actual MFG OEM 1 0 184.90 127.12

NFP P74942M
    Fuel Pump Assembly - Electric In-Tank Type - OEM Equivalent 1 0 389.65 244.93

Comment: Chassis Cab w/ 19 Gallon Midship Tank Except California Emissions

NFP P75035M
    Fuel Pump Assembly - Electric In-Tank Type - OEM Equivalent 1 0 342.54 215.31

Comment: w/ 142", 156" Wheelbase, Midship Tank Except California Emissions

NFP P75036M
    Fuel Pump Assembly - Electric In-Tank Type - OEM Equivalent 1 0 343.86 216.14
    EngineVIN:L;
    Comment: w/ 137", 158", 172" Wheelbase, Midship Tank Except California Emissions Except Chassis Cab

NFP P76107M
    Fuel Pump Assembly - Electric In-Tank Type - OEM Equivalent 1 0 449.84 282.76

Comment: w/ 142", 156" Wheelbase, Midship Tank w/ California Emissions

NFP P75037M
    Fuel Pump Assembly - Electric In-Tank Type - OEM Equivalent 1 0 347.43 218.38
    Comment: w/ Aft Axle Tank Except California Emissions

NFP P76119M
    Fuel Pump Assembly - Electric In-Tank Type - OEM Equivalent 1 0 367.11 230.76

Comment: w/ 40 Gallon Aft Axle Tank w/ California Emissions

BSH N67230
    Fuel Pump Assembly - Electric In-Tank Type - OEM Equivalent 1 0 580.09 398.81

Comment: w/ 139" Wheelbase Except Super Cab

BSH N67230
    Fuel Pump Assembly - Electric In-Tank Type - OEM Equivalent 1 0 580.09 398.81

Comment: w/ 157" Wheelbase

BSH N67180
    Fuel Pump Assembly - Electric In-Tank Type - OEM Equivalent 1 0 632.30 434.70
    Comment: w/ California Emissions w/ Aft Axle Tank

Think I would agree with something along the lines of loose connections or trash in the tank possibly. Rapping on the tank wouldn't affectively have a great effect on breaking loose a pump that was stuck I don't believe. Causing a loose connection electrically to make contact makes sense or breaking away trash from a strainer maybe.

But, what the heck do I know? Just get under there and get dirty! And take lots of video so we can watch you bust your knuckles and make fun of you!!
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

My thoughts exactly, Tom. The mechanic I use is honest. They had to drop the tank, not something I wanted to do myself, and not something I wanted to have stop working again in a very undesirable place or time. First time it stuck in my driveway and my friendly mechanic came over on his lunch break with his mallet, whacked the tank and it started right up, but second time was on a busy street when I turned off the engine while waiting on a train and I had to wait for help so one could start it as I whacked. I still have had very good service out of my last two Ford trucks. Had the front sway bar bushings replaced also. What a difference!
    Regards, Barry

Of course at this point Bizzy, I have to disagree with you cause I spent so much money!
    Regards, Barry

All the natural pollen,the bees are bringing in should be able to buy a new truck.J/K. LOL. Gotta love the bees.

That's ok Barry. Glad to hear you aren't stuck out in the middle of traffic up there. That kinda thing can get you killed around there!

Besides, you gotta have ole Bessy running good come election day so you can get around to all the polls and vote as many times as you can! Did I say that?
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." Winston Churchill

Thumbs Up

Polls,Im just glad my post hasnt been thrown under the bus yet.LOL.

Try checking the ground,like everyone else spoke about.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    My thoughts exactly, Tom. The mechanic I use is honest. They had to drop the tank, not something I wanted to do myself, and not something I wanted to have stop working again in a very undesirable place or time. First time it stuck in my driveway and my friendly mechanic came over on his lunch break with his mallet, whacked the tank and it started right up, but second time was on a busy street when I turned off the engine while waiting on a train and I had to wait for help so one could start it as I whacked. I still have had very good service out of my last two Ford trucks. Had the front sway bar bushings replaced also. What a difference!
    <<< but second time was on a busy street when I turned off the engine while waiting on a train >>>

Good thing it wasn't on the tracks!

<<< Had the front sway bar bushings replaced also.>>>

Don't tell Kyle Bush.

If it is trash that can be disolved and burned. Use Seafoam in the tank and though the brake booster. Might as will clean it all out.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

I had that problem on a dodge once. It was the sludge in the pump. They didn't replace it, but they did have to flush or clean it out. So I watched where I got gas being reluctant from then on. I was afraid I would get stuck somewhere.
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    Besides, you gotta have ole Bessy running good come election day so you can get around to all the polls and vote as many times as you can!
    At least as many times as Ed!
    Regards, Barry

Default Fuel pump

Been driving Fords since the 60's. Have replaced a few pumps along the way. The modern electric in-tank pumps are great compared to the old mechanical diaphragm ones. Replacing one is not that hard to do. (Replaced one on my wifes Cherokee last month in less than an hour) Just drive it until the tank is near empty and get a good mechanic if you don't want to DIY.

That darned scoundrel!! I think he's found out how to do early voting and he's already started!!

Post RE Ford fuel pump

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzybee View Post
    That darned scoundrel!! I think he's found out how to do early voting and he's already started!!
    Get U a Chevy and you wont have to worry about getting to da poles, but then I do live within walking distance

Hey guys over here they bus high school students to da poles so mabee I can hitch a ride to different poles, oh no that is in the gheto dang

Edit:
    Danged if you guys didnt draw me into yadagator
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 09-27-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: New coment
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Default '86 Ford

My '86 Ford f-350 went through two or maybe three of those in tank pumps in 88000 miles. It also went through three clutches, a radiator, the rear end, the starter, the master brake cylinder and every other component on the truck except the engine and transmission. The '97 f-350 I replaced it with has been trouble free other than it had to have it's 4X4 front differential rebuilt. My '93 f450 has had two automatic transmissions. It also didn't like when my employee filled it's tanks with gasoline. It has a diesel engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast