A Good Cigar
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Good Cigar

Default A Good Cigar

Quote Originally Posted by cow pollinater View Post
    It won't match a homebrew and a cigar on the back porch,
    I'm still searching for both of these. Plenty of them that don't match up, but tell me about the cigar(s) you rank tops.
    Regards, Barry

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

The best cigar I ever had was an actual Cuban that a guy I work with got in Panama. I have had about 3 more Cubans in Mexico that I don't think were real. This one was either the real deal or an extrodinary fake. It was a Cohiba Esplindido.

I ended up getting adicted to nicotine through my cigar smoking (which led to chewing tobacco all the time) and only have one very rarely now so I don't have to quit again. One of my favorite affordable cigars that is legal is an H. Upmann Monarch. They used to sell those in a metal tube, which keeps them properly humified.

If you want a stronger cigar, try a Padron, which are made in Nicarauga or a La Gloira Cubana made in florida.

If you don't smoke much and want a mild cigar, try a Macanudo Hyde Park.

My favorite cheap/domestic cigar is a Toppers Old Fashioned, if they still make them.

My main advice about cigars is to not try too many or you may end up with a tough addiction. But I do like 'em and every now and then should not be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ndvan View Post
    If you want a stronger cigar
    I occasionally like light one. Especially when fly fishing. I think I have found the best very light cigar (#1). TEMPLE HALL. And I like best # 700.

Because I stopped smoking last fall I think I probably should not be posting in this thread, as the temptation might be more than I can resist. However, I would like to point out that circumstances have a lot to do with what makes a good smoke. I think that a smuggled Havana, rolled on the fat brown thighs of a Cuban maiden and smoked on the stern of about a 41' sailboat while watching the sunset off the Keys after a nice meal of freshly caught fish is hard to beat. Unless you brought some homebrew along. Then it would be even better.

You're too funny Barry! As with most things, the circumstance/setting is what's memorable. I don't have a cigar often (my sinuses won't allow it), but in certain settings (yours trumps mine) it is quite enjoyable. My wife loves the smell of a cigar so it's not something I have to do away from her.
    Regards, Barry

For just an occasional cigar, a Macanudo ascot fits. They're not to big and not to strong.
    But if you really want to mellow out, try a big mug of Morebeers all grain bitter with an Onyx Reserve#4 after a big meal with lots of red meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Digman View Post
    I stopped smoking last fall... rolled on the fat brown thighs of a Cuban maiden...
    Just the thought makes me want to quit smoking cigars to!

Mild and readily available: Arturo Fuente
    Kevin
    Milton Township, Michigan (near South Bend, Indiana)

A lot of really good suggestions here! However I have to say that almost any Macanudo (the black ones) are way too heavy for the occasional smoker. If you want a nice lite smoke the Arturo Fuente is really nice, and the Cohiba's are fine choice too. Try dipping the end in a glass of Hot **** occasionally.

I have pretty much given up the old man's stinky cigars, what I really enjoy and have about one every evening or so is the Havana Honeys del Sol vanilla. That is a great sweet smoke that won't drive people off, not quite a chick magnet but close. It is dipped in honey on the tip that sweetens it on the lip, certainly a better if not different taste than the one aquired by the sweaty glans of a fat Cuban woman's thighs.

Remember to blow out every few puffs, that will ensure a pleasant smoke all the way to the end. A sure way to ruin a good smoke is to light it with a cigarette lighter with lighter fluid or the sulfur off a match. Use a quality propane torch that will not tarnish the taste.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I'm with you BB. Most cigars are way to heavy and not enjoyable to me. I've had the Tatiana vanilla cigar which is pretty good.
    (http://www.tatianacigars.com/Tatiana...la_cigars.html)

I'll give the Havana Honeys a try.
    Regards, Barry

Sancho Panza box press does it for me!
    A big dog weighs a hundred.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLSEYE BILL View Post

It is dipped in honey on the tip that sweetens it on the lip, certainly a better if not different taste than the one aquired by the sweaty glans of a fat Cuban woman's thighs.
    I thought all cigar smokers had heard this lovely old story and understood it to be such. Apparently not.

The Virgin Cigars
    South African cigar expert Theo Rudman addresses this hoary old legend in his on-line magazine. “It is a lovely idea,” he writes, “but alas is a legend that has persisted since the mid-forties, when a visiting journalist saw tobacco leaves being sorted and graded by women who placed the respective piles on their laps.” The visitor apparently took some imaginative journalistic license when he later wrote that Havanas were rolled on the thighs of virgins. Certainly, this story hasn’t hurt the mystique-laden marketing of Habanos.
    “Yes, they would stretch the leaves on their uncovered skin, but to roll a cigar on one’s leg - you cannot do that,” Borhani says with a snicker. “I challenge anyone - man or woman - to put bunched tobacco on their thigh and roll a successful cigar.”

I thought all cigar smokers had heard this lovely old story and understood it to be such. Apparently not.
    That's what you get for thinking, wrong again.

Another favorite of mine is the Backwoods Honey Berry. It is a small roughly made cigarillo (think Jose Wales), that doesn't take an hour to enjoy like a regular cigar.

I do remember hearing that from somewhere. I just figured it was the anti-tobbacco nuts trying to convince me smoking was bad anyway they could.

It just about worked!

Hey guys!! I'am trying to QUIT here! lol.

If you want a very mild light cigar Montero churchill is the one to go with but good luck finding it in a cigar store. It will also last well over an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by sds888 View Post
    If you want a very mild light cigar Montero churchill is the one to go with but good luck finding it in a cigar store. It will also last well over an hour.
    Where do you buy it?

Catalog and on line ordering company's like Thompson's Cigar in Fl. is where I order from.

http://www.thompsoncigar.com/default.aspx

mmmm, and just a few clicks away.
    Now I just need a credit card account my wife does not read.

Quote Originally Posted by BULLSEYE BILL View Post
    Catalog and on line ordering company's like Thompson's Cigar in Fl. is where I order from.

http://www.thompsoncigar.com/default.aspx
    I do not see Montero churchill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast