Hummer-Bee vs Swinger
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hummer-Bee vs Swinger

Hey, its about time we had a place to go for the commercial end of beekeeping, so lets start it out with a thread that is pretty much side-liner proof. I bought a new Hummer-bee turbo in Dec. and was wondering if any of you guys have tried the new swinger they are making now? I know three guys with the Hummer, but no one with the Swinger. What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Sorry cant help.Spoke to a friend today who just purchased another hummerbee,because he was told that they arent making the new style swinger.

They were making them in December when we bought the Hummer, but now that you mention it, thier ad in the bee journal was missing this month. Mabee they did not sell, and they are doing something else.(?) We went with the Hummer because we had delt with a&o for years, and knew we could get parts from them.

Sideliner looking to buy out another to be closer to commercial. Being that I am moving all of my hives to pallets I have been looking at fork lifts for the bees. I have been looking at the hummer bee and wanted to know what you guys felt about them. Do they last long? Do they nickle and dime you in repairs? How are they on all types of roads, dirt, mud, rock etc.? I guess what I am trying to find out is if they are practicle and are worth the investment. Over just a reg fork lift. As since I have pallets now I need a way of lifting them.

Angi

We have a Swinger from the days when A&O (the manufacturer of Hummer-bee) put the mast on Swinger's machine. We are very happy with this older Swinger, but when we update we will be going with the Hummer. When we looked at them last the new Swinger has two foot pedals for forward/reverse instead of the one pedal on our machine and the new Hummers. This is a considerable con against the new Swinger from those we talked to. Not sure about the Swinger but the Hummer also has a low gear so you can pull yourself out of the mud when ya get stuck. Both have bigger engines than our older model.
    A&O which manufactures the Hummer and where we purchased our original Swinger, is a great outfit to do business with. They have been very responsive with any repairs or parts that have been needed, not that there have been a lot of repairs over the years. Good dependable machine, we couldn't run our bees without it.
    Sheri

Quote Originally Posted by Angi_H View Post
    How are they on all types of roads, dirt, mud, rock etc.? I guess what I am trying to find out is if they are practicle and are worth the investment. Over just a reg fork lift. As since I have pallets now I need a way of lifting them.Angi
    Angi, a regular forklift cannot go outside on rough terrain. You will need an outdoor forklift like a Swinger/Hummer or some folks use a bobcat, although I know some who used to use a bobcat are now using a Swinger or Hummer. Our Swinger is indispensable for moving pallets in the outyards. We can use it to get pallets into yards where it is too wet to get our truck in. They are articulated so give a more even ride on rough uneven ground, less dumping of pallets.
    Sheri

Default Swinger

We have a older Swinger too also have a old Bobcat we use. Dad keeps one with him in FL and leaves me in GA with the other. I hope that Bobcat dies soon so we can replace it with a HummerBee for me. I can't compair Swingers and Hummers but I know Dean Voss now works on his own making his lifts the Hummerbees. I spoke to him once and he seems to be a nice guy to do business with.

Default Forklifts

I have a swinger. I think I'd like to get a piggyback type of forklift. Actually it;s the tandem axle truck I'd like to have. Then with a piggyback type of forklift there is no need for a trailer.

Jean-Marc

Hey John, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the Hummerbee weighing in at about 7500 where the swinger is weighing in at about 4500? Thats a little bit of a weight difference to be pulling. I was wondering if you noticed it and how it does in yards that may be wet. I like the hummerbee, but am a little concerned about the weight...just like to hear what people that are using them think about it.

I have had all of the above (bobcat,swinger,hummerbee) and imo there is only one real forklift thats the hummerbee , its fast smooth lifts good and very dependable.. Not to mention Dean at A and O forklifts always takes care of the customer!!!! Just my 2 cents

Sorry this took so long. I have been on the road with the bees. (again) The Hummer weighs 4800 lbs. Not sure where you got the 7500. Now that is a bit more than the old swinger I have (an old 100) which is around 4000. But the Hummer is so much better its no contest. The hummer has big tires which smooth out the bumps a little, a seat with an air bladder under it so it takes some of the jolt out of the bumps. Feels good on the old back! One of the best things they put on it is a deal on the mast that takes the jolt out of hitting bumps. Makes the load kind of float when you hit a bump. I'm going to buy one and put it on the swinger. Its a real simple looking thing, that should not be too expensive. Lets see, it has tons of power, goes twice as fast as a swinger in high, and has enough power to push stuck trucks out in low gear.
    Not much down side to it except mabee the price$$$ but what isnt expencive now days?

I had read it somewhere, but didn't verify the source. Guess I should have researched it better myself. It sounds great, you have me sold. What model do you have exactly John?

I have the turbo one. The XL is a lot less $$ but it is about the same thing as the old Swinger 1600. No two speed, no load cushon, no air seat (need that if you are old like me and have a bad back) no big tires. They told me that to ad just one option on the XL would make it cost as much as the turbo, so there you go.
    I'd still like to talk to someone with the new Swinger 1K.

Just wondering, how much does a Hummerbee Turbo or XL cost?

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaHoney View Post
    Just wondering, how much does a Hummerbee Turbo or XL cost?
    Base price for at hummerbee turbo is $31,500.
    1-800-943-8677
    www.hummerbee.com
    I am holding on to the hope I have inside... Kutless

actualy im not sure but i heard that the turbo is up to 34,000$ and the xl is at 29,000 but that is just what i heard so i dont know how true that is.

Wow! A bit out of my range right now. Maybe when I have a thousand hives.

I got to check out a hummerbee turbo yesterday. One is diffinetly on the wish list.
    Gulf Shores, AL

Default Re: Hummer-Bee vs Swinger

What would you pay for a 2008 HummerBee is great shape?

Default Re: Hummer-Bee vs Swinger

Jean Marc ..Dont forget that it would be V ERY EASY to overload your truck with weight of bees and then forklift. Expecially the rear axle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast