How much would you ask?

Default How much would you ask?

I'm possibly moving soon and I may have to sell the hives and start over at a later date. I'm just trying to get a feel for what they are worth. I have 7 very well established hives and 3 that are swarms that I have collected from around town this spring. I installed new queens last fall and treated with apistan in the fall also. This spring I've done powder sugar treatments. All boxes are mediums except for one that has a deep on bottom and they are all screen bottoms. I also have the basics needed for beekeeping(suit, tool,smoker etc.) Also lots of mason jars and probably 100 new honey bear containers, 3-4 plastic top feeders some entrance feders and 15-20 extra mediums and no telling what else. I just want to see what I should expect to get out of the stuff. I know this a pretty vague description but I just want an idea. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I would think, you should be able to get $200.00 to $225 per fully established hive with 2 supers per hive. Your particular market you may get less or more. The swarms just getting started I woud gather could be sold for $100 to $125 as a deep maybe a little less in mediums. The rest of the equipment and bottles or jars I wouldn't pay more than 50% to 60% of the current price in the catalogs.
    If it were me I would try to keep everything that I could for when I started back up again. Some thing there will be too much of a loss to bother selling. Then again I'd take the bees along with me.

Take with a grain of salt!

Randy
    Randy<br /><br />\'Cause I not be nobody else!

Tom:

You also might ask yourself what you would be willing to pay for the bees. I suppose it also depends how motivated you are to get out. If it's the wife who wants you to get out price them high, if you want out badly then price them low. I'd agree with Randy in that if you wish someday to start again, then hang on to the smoker, hive tool and veil. It'll help remind you that perhaps you should have not sold those bees after all .

Jean-Marc

when you do decide what you want for them i have a family friend in seymour who would probably be intrested.she would need some direction at first,but she has said she would like to get into it.just an idea

how about just sellin the bee's and brood and keepin the rest?

Depends on your goals. I got my first hive from a local beekeeper who developed allergies, and he gave me a heck of a deal just to get me hooked, er I mean, "started."
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Sorry to hear you have to sell out Tom. This year I've sold some 5 frame medium splits in a painted medium box with the extra 5 frames of foundation for $110.

Larry estimates it costs $500 for someone to get into beekeeping with one complete hive, a split to put in it, the suit, smoker, tool, feeder, etc.

Don't know if that helps, but it might give you an idea of what its worth. In short, more then you would think! Its probably easier to sell bees and equipment piece by piece so it doesn't seem that expensive, but all in all it is.

Complete, established hives in two deep hive bodies are going for $150 in my area. $110 to $120 for splits.
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!