Hive placement and railroad tracks

Default Hive placement and railroad tracks

I have a place that i could set hives on but need to know how close to the tracks can i set the new hives, any feedback would be appreciated. thanks , Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I recommend you stay outside the RR Right-of-Way. If you infringe on the RR R/W they will remove or destroy the hives. Most RR R/W's are anywhere between 100' each side centerline to 200' each side Centerline.

Just make sure you are not on their R/W.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

well the property is kinda in town and my friends house sits right next to the tracks so they got like a 12 foot line from the tracks if that, my only concern bein the vibration being too intense that close to the tracks but he was wanting to keep them as close to the tracks as possible to keep them away from the curb, the propertys about a full block in length then from the road to the tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by the$bee View Post
    well the property is kinda in town and my friends house sits right next to the tracks so they got like a 12 foot line from the tracks if that, my only concern bein the vibration being too intense that close to the tracks but he was wanting to keep them as close to the tracks as possible to keep them away from the curb, the propertys about a full block in length then from the road to the tracks.
    well i would keep them back a ways for a number of reasons,,

#1 would be the fumes from the trains,
    #2 would be that if they spray the tracks(and most do) they will spray the bees
    #3 would be the noise and vibration constantly stirring them up..
    #4 would be kids/people walking the rr tracks and kicking or throwing stones at the hives

just my thoughts take them as you like good luck

I've seen it dont for years. However there was a line of hedges between the two.

Default This close

My house sits across a 3 lane road from a major CSX line with an average of about 2 trains per hour (some with 5 engines). I have hives in both my front and rear yards. The ones in the front are like 50 feet from the tracks and the house about 60 ft, trains vibrates the pictures on the wall when it passes, but the girls don't seem to notice. My main concern would be fumes / exhaust.
    ! ! ! 4 years and STILL a bee-ginner ! ! !

I've had a yard next to the RR tracks for 25 years. Just on the other side of the hedgerow. Probably 50' from the tracks. Never had any problems. Good production yard, and winter well. Usually start 50 nucs there, too...in July. They build up well. Can't winter nucs there, because I can't get in early enough in the spring...without a toboggan.

Sad rairoads

"My house sits across a 3 lane road from a major CSX line with an average of about 2 trains per hour (some with 5 engines)." good lord how do you stand it? gives me cold chills to think about all those trains AND 3 lanes of traffic. i'm 700 feet from a 2 lane road and complain!
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Default Traffic

After a while you don't notice, and the girl like the "weeds" that grow beside the tracks.
    ! ! ! 4 years and STILL a bee-ginner ! ! !

What about having hives 75 feet from a two-lane highway?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by the$bee View Post
    I have a place that i could set hives on but need to know how close to the tracks can i set the new hives, any feedback would be appreciated. thanks , Bob
    Definately outside of those two steel strips
    My mind works like lightning. One brilliant flash and it\'s gone.

OK, as long as the flight path isn't out across traffic.

Default Railroad tracks

I have 2 hives sitting about 50 feet from a major Union Pacific mainline and have had no issues. The track averages at least 2 trains per hour and it has no effect on the bees at all.

Lord help you folks! I'm a 1/2 mile from the nearest road and thats to close for me. Sometimes during the summer we have to close the front door and windows to get a good nights sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    Lord help you folks! I'm a 1/2 mile from the nearest road and thats to close for me. Sometimes during the summer we have to close the front door and windows to get a good nights sleep.
    My beeyard is next to the tracks, not my home. I open the windows to hear the peepers and Bull frogs...to get a good night sleep.

Default Re: Hive placement and railroad tracks

Warehouse district, Fort Lauderdale, hive back in bushes by tracks.
    One day, a big florescent "x" in front of my poisoned hive.

Local residents walk dog and busted me.

Default Re: Hive placement and railroad tracks

My father-in-law has hives next to rr for years. He has the strongest hives I have ever seen. Lots of fetch on tract right of way. His hives are 150 yards away from house.