Swarm trap question

Default Swarm trap question

I put up a swarm trap, captured a swarm in it, transfer'd them to a hive 5 days later due to weather which was saturday evening, today theres a couple of handful of bee's still gathering around the old site which is about 20 feet away from the hive i had set up for them, it rained all day and night sunday so could these possibly be stragglers or just bees from the new hive being confused and how long can i expect the to stay before they leave. I'd really like to get the swarm trap back up but not sure i should until the stragglers are all gone.
    thanks

Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

They might be going back to the old location or they could be stragglers. You always lose a few. You can put the swarm trap back up if you want.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

thanks for the info

Well i'm still not understandin whats goin on, i put the swarm trap back up and right after i put it back up i watched a number of bee's arriving with pollen and goin in along with about a handful more bee's with with em.just way too confusing. I put a couple of frames with old comb back in it, just hope it dont cause no problems:confused: Guess i'll just watch wait and see

Can you put the swarm trap up at another location?

About the only place i have left is an old shed with a flat roof out in the open sun, kinda limited with space i live in town and allready put a second trap up at a friends house, a real small town by the way. how long does it normally take for stragglers and such to stop returning to the old site? guess it could be i got a bit of swarm lure on the branch where i set the trap. just dont know.

The stragglers from the original swarm may "protect" the swarm trap and guard against other swarm scouts from entering. I would take it down as it may not be doing anything but perpetuating the situation longer than it need be.

How long will it take? About as long as it takes for you to get rid of them.

Doh, now i got climb up that tree again, ah well gotta do what i gotta do thanks for the advice.

Bob

Are you all using pheromone? I just got a few of the Swarm Traps and am heading out tomorrow or Sunday to set them up. How are you hanging in the tree? Had a swarm that I couldn't get to in a cedar, but have caught two swarms so far this spring. Do you put the traps outside of your bees range of a mile or two? I am trying this as a newbie to this side of beekeeping. Usually I cut off a limb or twig when I find a swarm on it , and drop it in a nuc with a frame of honey/brood and in an hour come back and brush the rest of the bees off and add some foundation to fill. Any advice on the Swarm Traps would be appreciated?