quick queen release question

Default quick queen release question

would you say a queen released within 24 hours in a split one week old is a bad sign? when i put her in friday evenin i saw one worker tryin to sting her thru the cage, looked in the hive the next day she was released. wasnt a whole lot of candy in the hole and there was no cork. just has me worried seein as it was such a short time and the workers seemed hostile. thanks

Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

If the split was a week old and queenless you should not have see aggression toward the caged queen.
    This could be an indication that a queen was transferred to the split by accident,
    ( been there done that). Look for eggs if the split was without a queen for seven days you should not see any eggs as they hatch into larva in three days. If you do see eggs you either have a nice store bought queen doing her job, or a different queen laying. Then do a good inspection to find one with a painted dot on her. If you find a queen unmarked check the hive that you made the split form for queen cells.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

Let's do the math. A week ago you did a split? In a week they would have queen cells three days from emerging. If they didn't build any, then you got the queen in the split. Now you introduced a queen. By day ten you'll have a virgin queen. But your queen is out of the cage by day 8? She probably won't bother to tear down queen cells (unless you did) the bees MIGHT or they might not. If they don't you'll have a virgin queen on day 10 who may to kill the recently introduced queen.

There are several possible scenarios. I'd look into it. See if you have queen cells in the split. Emerged queen cell? See if you can find the queen or eggs in the original hive and see if you can find the queen or eggs in the split.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Well i understand the math and did it. when i looked in the split i did just that, looked for eggs and fresh larvae and also queen cells, however i did not find any eggs or fresh larvae but i did find what looked to be a couple of queen cups started midway up in the frame.I did take my time and looked very carefully for the queen before i made the split.not sayin i couldnt miss her but ive been findin her quite easlily.introducing new queens is new for me, usually when i do splits there are swarm cells and i let em make their own queen. the real problem i have is i should have marked the new unmarked queen i bought. Ah well live and learn.
    I'm havin a great time and learning a great deal from this. next i learn how to mark queens, that outa be fun.

thanks for the advice and input.

Bob

I always keep a bottle of nail polish that I use to mark queens in my pocket, just in case I spot a new queen. It is very usefully to keep the queen marked and I donít want to pass up the opportunity when I spot her. After you mark a couple it gets easy.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

thats a great idea, i'll make sure i start doin that

Yup i messed up, just checked the hive i got my split from and capped queen cells were found, nothing like feeling like a clown.Yet another 20 bucks wasted.Poor girl