Mann Lake Order - Gum Rosin - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

>hey Michael.... in a tank that size, apprx. how many total pounds of wax/rosin do you put in there? just trying to figure the up front costs to building a set up like that one day.

I don't know for sure. But 100 pounds of beeswax and 50 pounds of rosin is a good start.

>You dip for 10-12 min? Just curious why so long.

At 230 F to 250 F You're frying them really. You get the box hot enough that as it cools it sucks the wax into the wood. In about 10-12 minutes it gets to the point that it will boil over if I leave it longer.

> I have been dipping in beeswax and linseed for about 5 min @ 250.

Hot?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I would love to see them as well. Anyone?

Going to build my hive frying equipment this week. I settled on a 55 gal drum, cut down to three quarters with a ball valve with brass washers so I can drain the tank into buckets when I am done. I have an old propane turkey fryer which I am going to cut down and weld two inch washers on it for feet. This way, the tank will be closer to the ground and more stable.

I'll post pictures when I am done.

How are you gonna get the wax back out of the buckets? Also...make sure the buckets can take the heat...

I put mine into buckets last time. I made sure that the temperature was down to at least 150 to 175.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Williamson View Post
    How are you gonna get the wax back out of the buckets? Also...make sure the buckets can take the heat...
    I had read that if you let the mixture cool down to 140 or so (like Bullseye Bill wrote), you can drain the tank into small buckets with pastic bags in them.....then when the blocks shrink after they cool down you can pull them out with the plastic bag and store them.

That's my plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzhear View Post
    I ordered 100 pounds of Gum Rosin from Mann Lakes ordering service over the weekend. It's great that they have an ordering service for off hours! I called today to check on the order and the folks were great, and told me it shipped today (two days from when I ordered it on the weekend) and they informed me that they had followed the special delivery instructions! So far my first order from Mann Lake is going GREAT!

Now, 100 pounds of Rosin is more then I can use....so, I'll probably help out some of my closer friends in dipping their new equipment too...
    For the record, 100 pounds ended up as a perfect amount for my first experience.......going to order another 50 pounds soon.

Default Re: Mann Lake Order - Gum Rosin

Just curious, why don't you store the wax in the drum?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12