bee sting swelling photos - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

In my opinion that is a perfectly normal reaction for someone who hasn't been stung a lot. And remember not all bee stings are created equal. I might get three stings in one day and one just leaves a red dot and the other might swell up my whole hand and the other one just itches.
    \"The man who sets out to carry a cat by its tail learns something that will always be useful and which never will grow dim or doubtful.\" - Mark Twain

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

My better half was stung on the lip last summer. Now all her friends want the treatment. Much cheaper than a collagen injection. LOL!
    John B Jacob www.oldsolbees.com

Yes, that's what happens to me too - localized swelling 12-24 hrs after the sting - completely normal reaction - just the body's way of fixing the damage done by the venom.

A bad reaction would be one that was quick and not in the place where the sting was.

It also illustrates why getting 200-300 sting can kill you if you don't get prompt medical attention - it will take your liver a while to metabolize all that venom in your blood and in the mean time it will be doing damage to your vital organs.

I think the number that kills you is up over 1,000. It is based on weight and size of the person being stung. I've had over 100 stings (bees still alive and crawling around the hospital when I went. I was not popular with the nurses). Now I wish I hadn't gone as the steroids were probably worse for me than the bee venom.

Since then I have researched the amount of venom, number of stings, etc. that are "serious."

I get stung ever few months and usually swell for a day or two, then itch and then it goes away. My mental/emotional resistance has subsided greatly and now I don't pay much attention to the physical symptoms.

looks like local allergic reaction, overwinter hives or especially feral hives pack the most venom in their sting. (those little tiny ones are worst) I wouldn't be concerned unless your son was stung from the shoulders up, possible swelling of airway. My dad and brother both react the same way as your son. Benadryl will help with stings on the hands. As long as your son had no problem breathing or cardiac rythm changes i believe him to be able to continue with bees for many years to come. A suit would be a good thing, a veil a must, gloves wouldn't hurt either. My two cents. jim

Quote Originally Posted by HVH View Post
    There was another thread that mentioned bee stings for breast enhancements (was a hoax of course) but still could have made for some humorous pics.
    I wish I had thought of this!!!
    Let's BEE friends

Default My sting Reaction

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMG_0372.jpg

Well, I'm glad to see these pictures. When I get stung the swelling above is normal..... For me that is. A lot of non beekeeper friends tell me I'm allergic and should give up the hobby, because they never swell up like this when they are stung.

I have been stung 9 times since I started beekeeping last year. Reaction seems to be diminishing each time. My favorite stings are on my forearms or biceps. I get to look like Popeye for a few days and show off my one big gun.

I haven't read from anyone about the heat generated by the area of swelling. On me the spot seems to generate heat for as long as the itching. 3 days max. Any one experience that too?
    Last edited by Bizzybee; 07-22-2009 at 04:09 AM. Reason: max image size 640x480
    Beeanonymous-Melbourne,FL - Bees give a natural buzz......
    http://beeanonymous.blogspot.com/

Default stung in the throat-to the ER last weekend

wish i had gotten my wife to take some pics.... i was felling a large pine tree... and well... it led to an impromptu hive relocation. it's was a nuc i left in my front yard so i could keep an eye on it over winter. it's built up quite a bit. i suited up 1st, but the bees were ticked. the veil ended up touching my neck and that was the 1st place i got hit. then my ankles. and once they found out my ankles were exposed, they told about 20 of their friends to go hit me there. i'd already been stung several times this year already, but this time i turned red as a beet. my eyes bugged out and got really red and blood shot. my wife flipped out and took me to the ER. I tried to tell her that i could breath just fine, but she didnt believe me since my lip was swollen and stiking out like a duck bill and my voice was sounding funny since i got stung right on my adam's apple... and of course i'm telling her that i'm totally fine while looking at her with my bugged out blood shot eyes. I was feeling better before we even got to the hopital, but she made me go in, and then they kept me there for hours of "observation''

Dr. said i'm allergic and should be more carefull and prescribed an Epipen. I really dont think i'm allergic since i've been stung hundreds of times before. i think it was just a cumulative effect from so many stings at once, and that one sting to my throat.

that day was way worse than when i got bit by a copperhead tho. i bet that dr. would say i'm allergic to those too !

BeeAnonymous - yeah, I get the localized hot spot and maddening itching, too.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

She got stuck in my hair and then got yhe upper eye lid

Last edited by pukakoe; 04-08-2008 at 08:45 AM. Reason: adding info

Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by pukakoe View Post
    She got stuck in my hair and then got yhe upper eye lid
    How long did the swelling take to go down?

Just happened yesterday afternoon. So I am hoping maybe 3 days, it will all be over and I can see again.

My face is swelling just from looking at that pic!

Acording to Dadant's The Hive and the Honey Bee, this is a stage 3 reaction and is quite normal (about 17% of people have these reactions) and can last several day to a week or more with increase swelling as days go by.
    There is ZERO coralation between these reactions and alergic reactions that can cause breathing problems etc...In other words, one does not equal the other. Find a doctor who is willing to look something up if he doesn't know the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by drobbins View Post
    you shoulda seen the pic of when iddee got stung on the belly, talk about swelling

Dave
    Is that why my belly is so swollen. I knew it had to be something other than Budweiser!
    Monty

That is exactly what happened to me during my first install....

On day 3 I got a cortisone shot and it was down within hours.

And, you are right the MAJOR LOCAL REACTION (Which is what I have) is a big pain, but no relation to anaphalactic reaction. I am considering desensitization which they say can be done once a week for 3 months now.

I've had localized swelling like that and systemic reactions, even went into anaphalactic (sp)shock once. That reaction included rash over body (mine was a fine rash), a feeling of being overheated, going into shock (like Iwas going to pass out) tightness in the chest (feels like you can't take a deep breath) and nausea. I had over 70 stings when this happened.

But I still keep bees. Usually I can handle a few stings without swelling but I never know.
    I always carry an epipen with me when working the bees and when really going deep into them take a benadryl as a precaution so I have something in my system when/if I get stung. I should go back to the medical center for desensitization.

It might be a good idea to get an epipen for your son just in case he gets stung again.

I am a preacher and everytime i get stung near the eye its seems like it is on a church day. Everyone gasps and says you are allergic. No bee venom is supposed to swell you up. That is called a natural reaction not an allergic one. The boy will be fine. I hope he remains intrested in bees. It takes several stings each spring to reduce swelling and itching. I don't know what the magic number is but after so many they do not affect you as much; but it is something that we go through each year.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast