bee sting swelling photos
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default bee sting swelling photos

My 15 year old son was helping move hives Sunday. He got stung on the hand below the thumb. You can see where the sting was in the last couple of photos. I watched him remove the stinger he did it like he was taught. The sting was only in for a couple of seconds. It happened in the truck after we lhad loaded. He had a little local swelling after the sting nothing unusual. The photos show what his hand looked like 24 hours later. This was only his 3rd sting his first 2 didnt do this. The doctor says his bee days are over. Which I dont think hurts his feelings.

Last edited by riverrat; 03-03-2008 at 08:00 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I've had swelling like that and never thought twice about it
    seems to be worse in the spring, after a couple the reaction gets way less
    guess I better stay away from the doctor if he'll tell me to give up bees

all kidding aside, I don't think that's what's considered a systemic reaction, it's a (admittedly unpleasant) local reaction. don't take my advice, I ain't no doctor

hope he gets better quick

Dave

Ive had a few cases of swelling but not near this bad. He says hes done with the bees. Between his mother and the doctor I am in a corner. in an earlier post some one had asked about swelling so I thought I would post some photos. He got a steroid shot in the buttocks which probably hurt worse than the sting.

I can't blame a youngster for being turned off by something like that
    I got one in the eyebrow spring before last that swelled my eye shut for three days, ugly
    I thought this was going to be an augment to the thread about posting pictures of yourself
    post pictures of yourself all swollen up from being stung

Dave

I'm with dave. I'd find another quack....er, I mean doctor.
    Most beeks will tell you the worst stings are in early spring. From both the long spell without getting stung, and the overwintered bees whose venom has been condensing for months. The new hatches will be less.

you shoulda seen the pic of when iddee got stung on the belly, talk about swelling

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by drobbins View Post
    you shoulda seen the pic of when iddee got stung on the belly, talk about swelling

Last I heard the swelling still hasnt went down

I've seen worse and had worse swelling myself and it never amounted to anything. I'm no doc but it looks like the MD is overreacting or covering his rear end. If your son wanted to continue I'd get a second opinion and keep an epipen handy just in case. Then again if he's done ..he's done..too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by drobbins View Post
    I can't blame a youngster for being turned off by something like that
    I got one in the eyebrow spring before last that swelled my eye shut for three days, ugly
    I thought this was going to be an augment to the thread about posting pictures of yourself
    post pictures of yourself all swollen up from being stung

Dave
    There was another thread that mentioned bee stings for breast enhancements (was a hoax of course) but still could have made for some humorous pics.

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    Ive had a few cases of swilling .
    Doesn't surprise me, you drink all kinds of swill.

Those kids will do anything to get out of helping. Check out my boy's sting under his right eye in my pics section of my space. I thought he would turn into the elephant man.

Iddees right as usual, the old bees in the spring are worse, I've had worse and look at me,,,ok, I see your point.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

>This was only his 3rd sting his first 2 didnt do this. The doctor says his bee days are over. Which I dont think hurts his feelings.<

I think your doctor doesn't know what he's talking about. Localized swelling is normal. I see this all the time in my new help. Early in the season, they swell something terrible. After a month or two, no more swelling.

Once I took a friend with arthritis to visit Charles Mraz...for bee sting therapy. Mraz's house was always filled with people interested in venom therapy. Besides the folks looking for relief, there were always a number of doctors there...from all over the world. This time, there were doctors from eastern Europe, and Poland. While Charlie was busy with someone, my friend struck up a conversation with the Polish doctor. He noticed her very swollen hand, and asked it that's what he had to look forward to.

She said no. Stings on the hand always swell. She said that with some parts of the body...like hands and faces...there is nowhere for the swelling to go but out, as just under the skin, etc is bone. There's nowhere for the swelling to go. On fleshy areas, the swelling can go in, and therefore doesn't look so bad.

Now this doctor was a real looker. Blond, built, and in ripped up jeans.

Trying to prove her point, she told my friend that she had received a series of stings on her lower back and butt. And, there's no swelling there...and she procedes to drop her jeans...right in the face of my friend. See, no swelling! Needless to say, my friends eyes about popped from his head. Needless to say...mine did too.

LOts of GP's don't really know about bee sting reactions. They see ugly swelling, and "just to be safe" they tell you your beekeeping days are done. If you really want to know if your boy is allergic to bee venom, he should be tested by an Allergist. Get a referral by your GP, and it will likely be covered by insurance. Then, you'll know for sure, and can proceed accordingly. If he really is allergic, he can be de-sensitized...as was my daughter who nearly died from a bee sting.

Yeah, I get swelling like that and my kids do too. As localized swelling shouldn't be too alarming. Got one on my chin and looked like Jay Leno for a couple of days. I agree about the hands swelling much worse. The worst part is the itching at about days 2-4.

However, if you start getting systemic stuff going on...like other parts of the body swelling up, or hives, or breathing trouble...that is cause for more alarm.

My sister had a lot of swelling from a beesting when she was 15, and the doctor told her she was allergic, and she's frightened of bees to this day.

Drobbins, Riverrat, that swelling ain't from bees. It's cause MYYY wife can cook, usually toooo good.

If you don't have that swelling, OH! well, what can I say?

Everyone is correct this is a normal reaction.

What you need to watch for are the following:
    1. Hives
    2. Itching all over the body
    3. Difficulty breathing
    My sister is mildly allergic to bee stings and she keeps bees. If she gets stung she may notice some slight difficulty breathing. She takes two Zantac and it goes away. Yes Zantac is an acid reducer but it is also an anti-histimen

Yes, the doc is covering his rear. No doctor ever got sued for saying to give up beekeeping to a mother.
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

One spring I had to have a ring cut off because of swelling after a bee sting. Your son's swelling is an entirely normal localized reaction, is not systemic (as long as that is the only reaction), and is nothing to worry about. Doctor's are not God, don't know everything and although yours should know better he obviously does not.
    Even folks stung dozens of times a day can occasionally get a dose potent enough and in the right place to cause this type of reaction.
    Sheri

Ditto the above. The localized reaction depends on the sting site. I got one on my ankle once that swelled and made walking difficult.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by iddee View Post
    Drobbins, Riverrat, that swelling ain't from bees. It's cause MYYY wife can cook, usually toooo good.

If you don't have that swelling, OH! well, what can I say?
    iddee I NO the feeling UH swelling
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I've had my hands look like that before and my beekeeping days are just getting gearing up!!!

A doctor's comments like that are exactly why I have half the people I run into telling me that they are HIGHLY allergic to bee stings!

I have no doubt there is some liability-risk induced CYA going on!

Default Hmmmmm......

So this is only the 3rd time he has been stung in two years of beeing? Seems to me he isn't getting stung enough. A sparcity of stings can lead to hypersensitivity in beekeepers.

If the swelling gets worse the next time he is stung the doc might be right. I'm not talking full allergy here - I'm talking hypersensitivity - which is a precurser to allergy.

Contrary to popular belief, the more stings the better with regards to beekeepers. Just being exposed to honeybee dander is enough to cause immune system hypersensitivity.

I suggest reading the chapter on allergies to bee stings in "The Hive and Honeybee". Esp. the chapter that talks specifically about beekeepers. Autoimmune system allergies is a complex subject - even for trained medical professionals.
    BEE-L'r since 1999
    What's a swarm in April worth?

Default localized swelling

Several years ago I was stung in the ankle. My leg swelled up all the way to my knee. I thought nothing of it except that was the worst swelling that I had since I started keeping bees six years ago. When my Mother found out (I was 42), she insisted that I go to the doctor. I made an appointment (to please my Mother) with an allergist and went to see him. He had a student doctor there so I got two for the price of one. The bottom line is, if the swelling is at the site of the sting, it is called localized swelling. This is normal I was told. I asked why I have never swelled up like that before (or since) he said that bee just had a larger dose of venom. He went on to say that if you get stung and swell away from the sting site, that is an allergic reaction. So is tingling, hives, swelling of the tongue and mouth, and hard to breathe. He also said that he could test me for bee sting allergy but most of the time the swelling is mistaken as a positive reaction so most people test positive for bee sting allergy even if they are not. I guess this is why 90% of the people you talk to are "allergic" to bee stings. The percentage is actually very low. I have an epipen and it has expired three times without being used. I have been stung many times since. Even tried a little bee sting therapy on my sore knee.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast