Dog Biscuit Recipe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dog Biscuit Recipe

I found these by Ann Harman in Bee Culture magazine,December 2006 issue, pg 30

BOW-WOW Biscuits

1 package dry yeast
    1/2 cup warm water
    2 cups flour
    2 Cups warm chicken or beef broth
    1 cup cornmeal
    1/2 cup powdered milk
    1 cup wheat germ
    1/2 cup margarine or butter
    2 cups cracked wheat
    1/4 cup honey
    4 cups whole wheat flour
    1 egg, beaten

in small bowl dissolve yeast in warm water. In large bown combine broth, powdered milk,margarine or butter, honey and egg. Add yeast/water and mix well. Stir in flour, cornmeal, wheat germ, and cracked wheat and mix well. Add whole wheat flour 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Knead in final amounts of flour by hand and continue kneading for 4 to 5 minutes until dough is not sticky. Pat or roll into 1/2" thickness and cut with bone shaped cutter, or into strips. Place on greased cookie sheet and cover lightly and let set for 20 minutes. Bake at 350 deg. for 45 minutes. Turn off heat and leave in oven for several hours or overnight. Makes about 3 1/2 pounds.

Good Dog Biscuits

2 tsp dry yeast
    1/2 cup lukewarm water
    2 Tbsp dry parsley
    1-1/2 cups chicken broth
    3 Tbsp honey
    1 egg beaten
    5-6 cups whole wheat flour

In large bowl, disslove yeast in warm water. Stir in parsley, broth, honey, and egg. Gradually blend in flour, adding enough to form stiff dough. Knead on floured surface until smooth, about 3-5 minutes. Roll to 1/4" thick and cut as above. Place 1/4 in apart on greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Turn over, bake another 15 min until lightly browned on both sides. Turn off heat and leave in oven overnight

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

You sell these at the same booth you sell honey at? Was curious on the market angel.

Chef, I haven't tried making them yet. I just typed out and posted the recipies as a service to those who can't find them or don't have the back issues of BC.

Smile That's the one

Birkshire Bee, thanks for finding them, I guess I was a month off in my memory bank.
    The second recipe is the one we use. One point, if you package them in plastic baggies you have to dry all the moisture out of them or they will mold. Don't ask my yorkie how I know this. :0
    Steve<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cozynestfarm.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.cozynestfarm.com</a><br /><br />All that\'s golden must be honey

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Isaac View Post
    You sell these at the same booth you sell honey at? Was curious on the market angel.
    Yes we do, why not they are food grade, I eat them myself before we dry them. After all it's a farmers market, I've seen the boys sell used motor oil in bulk cans, and grass hay there
    Steve<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cozynestfarm.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.cozynestfarm.com</a><br /><br />All that\'s golden must be honey

interesting. Might need to try that.

got my doggie biscuit cutters today. Hope to make a batch tonight

Wink You will be a hit with your dog, for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat View Post
    got my doggie biscuit cutters today. Hope to make a batch tonight
    oooo, I hope you got those cute little heart shape cutters. They are for small dogs and it looks like your getting more for your money

went with an assorted sizes of traditional bones. May do hearts and other shapes for different holidays if this works out.

Quote Originally Posted by bee crazy View Post
    oooo, I hope you got those cute little heart shape cutters. They are for small dogs and it looks like your getting more for your money

when you gonna try them?

got test pilots today is the day

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Isaac View Post
    when you gonna try them?

today cant wait. Hive has 2 pooches has test pilots. Hope nothing goes wrong. Spending money on bugs will be the least of my worries

ha ha ha ..... how did cooking go with your son?

Cool "They got ta eat"

today cant wait. Hive has 2 pooches has test pilots. Hope nothing goes wrong. Spending money on bugs will be the least of my worries
    Them luck dogs! Don't let them eat the batter, they'll get them worms mom told us about!
    Hey, you don't live near Medicine Lodge do ya? I have a cousin that runs that town.

Quote Originally Posted by bee crazy View Post
    Them luck dogs! Don't let them eat the batter, they'll get them worms mom told us about!
    Hey, you don't live near Medicine Lodge do ya? I have a cousin that runs that town.
    Im about 100 miles away from medicine lodge. My great dane is from there. Chef Dinner went great cooked extra hoping for left overs it didnt happen. thanaks for the help

made a batch today using the recipe turned out great dogs love them

what recipe did you use, the top on or bottom one?

I used the top one with one exception. I substituted rice ground in a food procesor for cracked wheat.

Smile You are a good man!

I used the top one with one exception. I substituted rice ground in a food procesor for cracked wheat.
    Hey riverrat, that's getting hi tekey using a food processor, isn't it? Those are good recipes and we, or me and my dogs like the second recipe better.
    Now if your going to use plastic bags to store them biscuits in you will have to air dry those biscuits for a week.

Bee Crazy: Do you just set the biscuits out on a counter to dry ?

Smile

hi cd

yes we've done that but the dehydrator is faster. It takes about four hours to do a batch set on approx. 100 degrees. Break them and check the color in the middle. If it's center looks dry and a light color as the outside then it's done. If left in the dehydrator too long then it gets really tough...though maybe the dogs like that too. I never thought about it till now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast