Local Sugar Prices
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Local Sugar Prices

I was just curious what the cheapest sugar prices per lb. were running elsewhere. Around Paducah I can get it at Kroger for $ .50 - Walmart for $ .48 and Sams Club $ . 38 (50 # bag). Kroger and Walmart were 25# bags.

Tim

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Careful tim. Just mentioning "big" corporations and the like of Walmart will be the wrath of the "anti" crowd down upon you. Its best to mention the true beekeeping route. That would be ordering from another "beekeepers serving beekeepers" type of supply system.

May I suggest for those not wanting to shop at Wal-mart, Mannlake. 50 pounds for $28.50 That works out to .57 a pound. With shipping, it should be around a dollar a pound. (lets not get wrapped up and blow that feel good fuzzy feeling and discuss where or who actually makes this sugar. lets just live in fantasy land and pretend its not a big company)

But beware, now the "green" people will come upon you. Ordering from such places involves shipping, fuel consumption, and excessive greenhouse emmisions. Tsk, Tsk...what to do?

So maybe cheap is the wrong direction. Maybe we can hear from those who have ample locally produced mom and pop operations down the street, where one can ride a bike or walk. I'd be interested in the prices for that sugar.

And lets just take it to the ultimum, and lets hear from those who not only have local mom and pop sugar production facilities nearby, but let hear from the ones that are organic also.

Tim, as for me, I'll check the Wal-mart price this afternoon when I stop in.....

Here in NC, I get 10# from Harris Teeter for $4. For a 50# bag from Sam's it runs me $19.50.

This was a building year for me since most my hives were started post May time period. Really looking forward to next year when the bees can feed themselves with the possible occasional boost in the spring/fall.
    Hughes Honey Apiary
    http://www.hugheshoney.com

piggly wiggly has it for 2.7 cents per ounce if you buy the SMALL bags...buy the big ones, and it's MORE!!!!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by timgoodin View Post
    I was just curious what the cheapest sugar prices per lb. were running elsewhere. Around Paducah I can get it at Kroger for $ .50 - Walmart for $ .48 and Sams Club $ . 38 (50 # bag). Kroger and Walmart were 25# bags.

Tim
    Oh, wow, 50 lb bags from Sams club....hadn't thought to check there. There's one of those stores right in the same plaza as walmart... I'll check it out tomorrow... thanks for pointing that out.

Bjorn -

You're stirring the pot again.

MM

When I needed sugar last year, Sam's club was more expensive than the local Wal mart store. Go figure.
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!

So far the price to beat is Sam's for $0.38 per lb.

I too found that Sam's was more than Wal-Mart last fall, but obviously I'll be checking again.

Can anyone show us a better price than $0.38 at Sam's?
    Troy

Sams Club is Walmart and Walmart is Sams Club. They are both the same, Sam's Club carries larger boxed items and such.

They are owned by the same company, but they are not the same store.

Quantities and prices are different. Not always lower at Sam's either, which is the part that confuses me.
    Troy

Smile wal-mart

there are two wal-mart superstores in owensboro,ky, one of them was the largest in the usa for a while. they have different prices for the same items and are only 10 or so miles apart. i was confused too until my kids said well DUH dad they charge what the market will bear!

Here in the northeast our local Price Chopper often beats the bulk store which is BJ's around here. It was recently 40 cents a pound for 5 lb bags. Last spring 2006 they had a wicked sale at $1.25 for a 5 lb bag. We really stocked up on that one. I was hoping they would repeat this year but it didn't happen. Usually $2.25/5 lb is the best you can find at Price Chopper. Besides, it's a 90+ mile round trip to BJ's

Why get the big 50# bag it is to heavy to carry, and the small packets are free. All you have to do is stop for a cup of coffee every morning and grab a dozen packs of sugar. By the end of the year you should have enough to feed a small hive.

LOL Jethro

I have found that all else being equal, the 10lb bag seems to be the cheapest of all packs. Even the 25lb and 50lb bags. Has anyone else noticed this?
    BEE-L'r since 1999
    What's a swarm in April worth?

So far that has been my finding too. The 10 lb bag is usually the cheapest overall.

Keep doing the price shopping though.
    Troy

Mike, as close as you are to Kelley's don't you use HFCS ?

Default sugar prices in kansas

here in south central kansas This spring I was feeding out about 100 to 150 lbs of sugar a week i checked the local dillons walmart and sams club. at the time walmart had it on sale for 38 cents a lb for the 5 and 10 lb bags the regular price was 44 cents a lb which was still cheaper than any of the others. I noticed dillons (owned by kroger) was selling sugar a few pennies cheaper than walmart but it was 4lb bags instead of 5lb making it over 50 cents a lb. I like billy found out when buying in bulk the sugar was more expensive about 2 cents a lb more. I think the retailers purposely do this since everyone assumes if they buy in bulk they are getting a better deal. unless it is a convienience issue the smaller bags are a better value. a friend in kansas city said he could get it for 35 cents a lb at costco in 25 lb bags I was unable to check on this since we do not have costco in this area. I am still waiting on a train derailment with a cargo container of sugar on board. If I did the math right 1:1 sugar syrup is comparable per pound in price to HFCS after you mix the sugar syrup
    Last edited by riverrat; 08-11-2007 at 05:50 AM.

I don't know if its due to only one or two suppliers or just something close to price fixing. But even the off name brand bags are not more than 4 cents cheaper. I see domino's 5 pound bags for 2.29 and the store brand right next to it for 2.25

Thats less than a 2% price break between brand name and off brand name. Usually you see larger price differences even if its from the same supplier/manufacturer. Tells me they have a good grip on the system with little competition.

Actually, closer to one percent difference between brands.

Prices are similar because sugar is a traded commodity. There are incentives in price for store brands to reduce their profit margin in order to gain overall sales. Look for increases in sugar price in years to come because of increased demand in sugar for ethanol production. Sugar has a 60% worldwide role in ethanol production, the remainder is primarily corn. Historically, the best price for sugar during the year will be in early fall - November through February, as supplies are processed.

MM

Big Grin price of sugar

Here in NE Al. i pay about .10 cents apound buy in a 55 gal drum between 400,500 lbs for 40.00 dollors

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast