Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

small cell research at HAS

44K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  michituck 
#1 ·
For anyone attending HAS who is interested, Jennifer Berry from the UGA beelab is hoping to present data from the UGA small cell research project.

#35 · (Edited)
I have seen the video of Jennifer Berry's presentation only once and that was several days ago so I may have a couple of facts incorrect but I thought she said the mite populations for the bees on small cell was

1) higher than the mite population of the bees on large cell
2) not statistically significantly higher
3) but in their (the researchers') opinions the mite population was significantly higher

So far doesn't it look like the small cell isn't making a difference (or is making a negative difference) for bees in the study that normally don't need to be treated in Bill's beeyard?

I know the study results haven't been written up yet but if the small cell is shown not to have any positive affect why do Bill's bees not need to be treated?

She did say something about a study where the pheromones seemed to make a helpful difference but the small cell didn't.

Thanks,
Dan

#38 · (Edited)
:)

I have my own idea as to why Bill doesn't have to treat.

In the video Jennifer Berry talks about Bill collecting queens from feral colonies that display good survivability. That sounds like a survival of the fittest breeding program to me. So my guess for the answer to the $64,000 question is genetics.

And since according to some 'big gun' researchers it's relatively easy to breed for varroa tolerance I think my guess is on the right track.

http://www.beesource.com/pov/usda/varroatolerantbee.htm

Thanks,
Dan

#39 ·
Ferals are not the silver bullet

I have been trapping ferals for decades here in suburbia. For the most part they behave the same as purchased strains. Go gangbusters for the first and second year, then collapse.
Addendum: I have been introducing "domesticated" bees into this same area for over three decades. So what is the definiton of feral?

In a more rural setting nearby, I have two colonies of dark trapped ferals that have been going five years or more. They resemble carniolans that was introducing into that area in the early 1980's.

My trapped ferals are dropping as fast as my SC bees, and some are both.:eek:

#41 ·
Well I find it hard to believe that they find the same amount or MORE mites on small cell.
I'm not a commercial keeper but here's my story.
I've only been keeping for 3 years now.
Previously to this year I had only the standard 2 boxes on "standard" cells.
I had about 1/2 of my hives with mites at the end of last season.
I don't treat with any chemicals.
I've incorporated methods discussed on the forum here and I went to small cell this year.
I started checking and rechecking 3 weeks ago and my mite count is 0.
That's correct I have no mites this year.
I find it hard to believe that if the cells on small cell are capped earlier, etc. you have more mites because they are not developed by the time the bee comes out.
I have 2 Russian hives and the remainder are Italians and 2 swarms from this year.
Just the way it's working out for me.
The only problem I have is that being "chemical free" I never have enough honey to sell it seems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.