First Buck of the season - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I really want a long bow. I have a compound, but the real appeal of archery, to me, is the simplicity. There is nothing more simple, in archer, than a stick and a string. Instinctive (with no sights) is by far the quickest most versitile way to hit anything.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I'm not a big fan of the pendulum sights. I just don't like the fact that my sights are moving, hard to get used to. I had one friend that loved his and another who through his in the garbage. I would rather practice from an elevated position.

>>Instinctive (with no sights) is by far the quickest most versitile way to hit anything.

I didn't use a long bow, but I did shoot with fingers instinctively for a couple of years.

A couple of years ago I bought a Matthews bow which was much shorter and I had problems trying to shoot with fingers. I switched to a release which was hard for me to do. Then someone talked me into trying shooting with a sight. My accuracy greatly improved so I just kept doing it that way.

I've looked at the Keller pendulum sights ($76)but just don't know enough about these types of sights to make an informed decision (yet).

>>I would rather practice from an elevated position.

I'd rather do that too. My problem is that I have several different types of stand set-ups from 16' ladder stands to lock-on to climbing stands. I prefer to be at least 20' up but not all situations will allow. The bottom line is that I am usually between 16-25' off the ground but not always. (sometimes higher, rarely lower) I would love a sight that helped compensate for me. I won't shoot at a deer over 30 yards.

>>I had one friend that loved his and another who through his in the garbage.

I've had the same experience. Makes it hard to put up the money when you can't get a majority opinion. I'd say the best arrow rest decision I've ever made was the Whisker Biscuit. It's not a target shooters rest but I think it's hard to beat for a hunting rest.

>>But have been threatening to pick it up again.

Don't do it... Unless you want the adrenalin rush. [img]smile.gif[/img] The one problem I see with my early archery season and bees is that with a large number of hives it would be difficult to do both and manage to keep my wife from turning the bow on me!

[size="1"][ November 15, 2005, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: dtwilliamson ][/size]

I love my Mathews, conquest light; it’s the longest bow they made at that time. I find the longer the bow the smoother it is to shoot.

I practice from 18’, ground to bottom of the stand,
    I find that I can go up 5' with out changing the shot placement. I am pulling 70# and using aluminum carbon hybrid arrows, I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

I have shot a Robertson Stybow - Prairie Ghost and have for the last 20 years.
    Plain simple take down recurve bow with no sights, the only way to go.
    They make great bows. www.robertsonstykbow.com

I still have my ol' Martin Cougar Magnum. Made in the 70's. An earlier cam bow that is plenty fast for me.

Does anyone remember the Bear Delta V?? What a wild bow!! I sold only one as it was spendy even back then. It was very fast....... 265 fps if memory serves me. That was way fast back then.

Heres a link that shows some older bows. Including the Delta V

http://www.archeryhistory.com/compounds/80.htm

MB......... I have toyed with long bows and for awhile toyed with building one. I like the alure of bare bow as well.
    Closing in on retirement.......

I was never a big fan of Bear bows. My first bow was a used Stemmler. I quickly switched to a Jennings Shooting star which I killed my first deer with and it lasted me several years. I've owned a couple PSE bows but was I wasn't happy with the way they shot. I got the idea to use target bows for hunting because of the accuracy. My research led me to an Oregon bow which I loved. The company started to have financial problems and the quality went down hill. That’s when I switched to the Mathews Conquest, my current bow, which I also love.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I didn't realize those bows were that pricey. Ah go ahead... make your dream come true.... you deserve it... (That's how I convince myself) doesn't take much!!!

Traditional is nice but you have to practice like a mad man if you want to hunt with it and not maim deer. I just don't have the time anymore.

I just put up a tree stand in a new spot that looks very promising.

[size="1"][ November 16, 2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: LEAD PIPE ][/size]

Lead Pipe makes a very good point. Sights do allow an archer to get dead on in a much shorter time.

When I ran the small shop I could often get begining archers consistantly on the "pie plate" in less than 10 minutes.

The rut is finally here in CT. My new spot has been great. I usually see 8 doe that walk within 20 yards of my stand. A couple of small bucks have come in to chase the doe but they haven't been very interested.

I was looking out my back window today and saw a doe being tended by a very large buck. He was 15 yards from my tree stand. I have to work tonight but I'm off the rest of the week. I can't wait for Tuesday morning.

Good luck LP...... May the force be with you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12