Raise their own queens this year - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Question

Curry
    Got a question, in fact anyone out there that uses plastic cell cups. I usually throw away the ones that I do not use. They give you a grid of 110 and I usually only use about 60 of them. The ones I throw out have eggs or small larva in them. Does anyone out there use the other 50 of them next time around? Wonder if I have been doing it wrong all these years. Thanks guys.
    Dan

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

>Got a question, in fact anyone out there that uses plastic cell cups. I usually throw away the ones that I do not use.

Why?

>They give you a grid of 110 and I usually only use about 60 of them. The ones I throw out have eggs or small larva in them.

I guess I can see that. I put them in a hardware cloth basket (that I made) and swish them quickly in boiling water several times. Then I dip them in melted beeswax and drain them.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited June 28, 2004).]

Sad

Thanks MB. Guess I was doing it wrong.
    Dan

I don't know that it's wrong. Mann Lake says that reusing cups (I assume that's not the plug) reduces acceptance. But I treat them the same way. Swish in boiling water and dip in wax. I use new clean wax. Don't boil them too long or leave them in the wax too long or they deform. Just swish them around a few times and let them cool enough between swishing that they don't melt.

After I wax them, I take a toothpick or something and rub most of the wax out of the "bottom" of the plug (where the larva would be).

I guess I could never throw things away that seem usable.

I have not noticed any loss of acceptance from reusing in this manner.

Sad

Well I will give it a try. With all this COLD weather here in the North East ( nights 40-50 and days lucky if its a little over 70) it's getting a little difficult to raise some queens. This last weekend I set up a hive with 30 cells, last night I took a look and found that only 5 were accepted. Boy talk about being upset. I'll have to try again this weekend. My tomatoes look the same (except having one flower on the vine) as they did back in mid May when I planted them. Short! I also see that the honey flow is not doing all that great here in my neck of the woods. Anyone have the same experience?
    Dan

Bjerm:

Same here in Ok. It is officially the coolest June in 56 years, and by my account the wettest since I came here in l967.

Tomatos growing slowly, putting on fruit but not really making time. More grass on this place than at any time since I bought it. Bees worked on the main flow, stopped dead for about two weeks and darned if they are not back at work!!!!

I moved bees to a watermelon patch yesterday with alfalfa on the margins and white sweetclover still blooming farther back. Soybeans next door will be blooming when the clover and alfalfa fail---Melon pollen plus honey--how can that be beaten?
    Ox

You got it made, Oxankle, I guess. I sure hope we get some warm weather. It's the end of June up here and yesterday I had the wood stove going to warm up the house! I can just imagine what the poor bees are doing. Cold so they have to eat the days honey to keep warm then it rains so no honey coming in. Bummer!
    Dan

As far as reusing cell cups... I just put the used cups wrapped in "tool" (like cheese cloth, but with larger holes) in the dishwasher. I don't dip them in wax, but that is probably a good idea... but I haven't had noticeable problems with acceptance. Sorry 'bout the poor honeyflow... that was me last year. This year has been pretty good here.

Big Grin

Thanks Michael Bush, and Curry for the info on the queen cups. I'll give this a try.
    Dan

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234