American Foulbrood
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is there any Organic method of controling AFB. I would like to quit using Tylosine. I reguarly Sterilize brood combs with E-beam irradiation and discard old combs. And we seem to keep our rAFB situation in control.

I was wondering if any one is playing with bacterial phages?

Or is there an organic acid that can be used in a live hive to control AFB spores?

With labs being able to detect to the parts per trillion, going drug free is the future of bee keeping.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Terry Gr---- <Caspian Solution has been used to treat AFB since 1986 in Iran, and was introduced in Canada in year 2000. Studies have been conducted in both countries with consistently successful results.>
    Google Search-Caspian Apiaries

Terry

I have used "Caspian Solution" Hussain the person that makes the stuff recomended me to mix some antibiotics into it.

I think it is a great product. though somewhat over priced.

Make sure there is plenty of pollon available when feeding the solution.

Hussain has shown me his Bee hives. I have seen a perfect healthy brood pattern on 1 side of a frame and the other side completly full of viable AFB scale. This frame came from a healthy single story hive with 5 frames of bees and brood in early April. He claimed to have only supplimented his bees with Caspian Solution, and some sugar water.

I was quite impressed after seeing this.

Here is the link
    http://www.caspianapiaries.com/

There actually is an organic way of controlling AFB, at least in theory. Keep hygeinic bees. All the evidence I've seen suggests that people have, occasionally, developed fully resistant strains. There probably needs to be more effort in this direction, but under current circumstances all the attention is obviously devoted to Varroa.
    [email protected]
    Birmingham UK

I think the varroa will help though. Hygenic bees may chew out both varroa and AFB and in the end will benefit in more ways than one. My guess is by breeding for perfect brood patterns we bred out hygenic behavior.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

I heard from beekeepers on this forum that many treating with antibiotics against AFB. I don’t know about UK but the German government has strong regulations and the same in Switzerland. Both countries have 0 tolerances for antibiotics in honey.

What is the honey price in the US and Kanada?

China is back on the German honey marked since last year. After all the trouble with china honey in the past they offered a bottling company 10,000 tons china honey per year, unbelievable cheap, the price I heard from the news is between $700 and $900 US dollar per ton. They are smart and know we have several big bottling factories.

Institutes already have honey samples for testing and no complain so far.

In the UK, AFB is a notifiable diease, and any infected hive has to be burnt. It has its good side; it's a fairly rare disease here.
    [email protected]
    Birmingham UK

American Foulbrood in German
    http://mkat.iwf.de/mms/metafiles/020...0000000_lo.asx

Terry

Default Re: American Foulbrood

Quote Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
    Is there any Organic method of controling AFB. I would like to quit using Tylosine. I reguarly Sterilize brood combs with E-beam irradiation and discard old combs. And we seem to keep our rAFB situation in control.

I was wondering if any one is playing with bacterial phages?

Or is there an organic acid that can be used in a live hive to control AFB spores?

With labs being able to detect to the parts per trillion, going drug free is the future of bee keeping.
    This is a post from when Adam was a boy - any news on phages??
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Treating AFB with anything, is essentially, farming it.

The proof of that is what has happened to some operations that treated for it, if for some reason like the death of the beekeeper, treatment was stopped.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Treating AFB with anything, is essentially, farming it.

The proof of that is what has happened to some operations that treated for it, if for some reason like the death of the beekeeper, treatment was stopped.
    I keep an open mind.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4535585/
    I think some of the limited research is positive but far from conclusive.

I don't have AFB ( as far as I know and I do check) but it is in my area.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    This is a post from when Adam was a boy - any news on phages??
    No
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    but it is in my area.
    Lurking? Varroa/Virus kills colonies before AFB gets a chance to crop up.

As far as an organic method of AFB control I would say visual inspection of brood combs and not buying used equipment (comb). I haven't used TM or Tylosin for decades and I haven't come across a case of AFB in my own outfit for three or four years. It's easier for me to find it and burn it than it is to get my hands on antibiotics and use them.
    Mark Berninghausen

I second no antibiotics. Burn any infected colonies. Maintain hygienic / disease resistant lines.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I haven't come across a case of AFB in my own outfit for three or four years.
    Just curious Sqkcrk how you see the AFB situation, are the big players still treating for it or has there been a move away from drugs and towards burning and irradiation? And if so how has that affected the amount of AFB?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Just curious Sqkcrk how you see the AFB situation, are the big players still treating for it or has there been a move away from drugs and towards burning and irradiation? And if so how has that affected the amount of AFB?
    Here in NY there hardly is any Apiary Inspection, so knowing how any practice has affected AFB is hard to determine. As far as what most commercial outfits do, I have no reason to think that they don't still do what they have always done, treat for AFB with antibiotics, even though getting antibiotics is harder than it used to be.
    Mark Berninghausen

OK, thanks.

When we had an outbreak in my area, the AFB got a very strong hold on many colonies that had varroa under control. Healthy colonies are just as susceptible as the weak ones, and the infection can get well out of hand before the colonies show any signs of being weakened.

I am pretty new to beekeeping (2yrs) but I thought that no matter if you have one hive or 1,000, if you encounter a hive with AFB you burn it immediately. I know that it is mandatory here in Vermont. Is it permissible to treat it in other states or countries? I didn't know that there was an effective treatment. J
    Last edited by Fivej; 12-26-2017 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added countries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast