Dead pupae brood at entrance

Okay, something not so good seems to be happening to both my hives.

The bees are dragging lots of pupae brood to the entrance and dumping them out front. The brood look normal, not like chalk brood, etc.

Each hive has had a menthol packet in place for about 10 days, and I have treated the past two weekends with Oxalic Acid.

Could it be I am killing the brood with the menthol or the Oxalic? None of the literature I have read seems to indicate that either will kill brood.

After treating with Oxalic acid, each hive is dropping about 15 mites per day, down from about 50. Could it be that this is just hygenic behaviour and the bees are cleaning out mite infested brood?

Not at all sure what to do, except leave them alone.

Kai

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

15 to 50 mites a day after treatment is almost no mites. But they might be cleaning out mite infested brood. They might also be getting rid of drone brood that they don't think they need anymore. I don't think the oxalic will kill pupae. Pupae are sealed in cells. I haven't even noticed open brood dying let alone pupae.

Your honey flow might be over for now and like MB said they are starting to cut back on brood. This is a normal cycle in beekeeping. Yes it is alarming but the bees know what is going on and how to keep the hive healthy.
    Dan

There could be any number of reasons, most of them good. Don't panic, just keep an eye on what's happening and do your best to understand it. Your bees sound fine to me.

------------------
    Regards,

Robert Brenchley

[email protected]
    Birmingham UK

jfischer Guest

I'd agree with the "dearth" or "fall shutdown"
    diagnosis, but if, and ONLY if they
    are also kicking out the drones.

If there are still lots of drones, and
    none being dragged out the entrance, then
    the brood on the landing board may be
    worth checking out.

There is a good chance that you did kill
    open larvae when you treated, which means
    that the disposal should cease soon.

[This message has been edited by jfischer (edited September 06, 2004).]

jfischer Guest

[This message has been edited by jfischer (edited September 06, 2004).]

as theyve said there are lots of reasons for the dead brood so dont get too concerned.

ive never had any luck figuring out what is happening looking thru the pile of dead at the entrance. however, you can get some ideas if you look at a frame of capped worker brood. this time of year, super hygenic bees that have mites will have cells uncapped and brood being torn out in various stages. look for the opened cells and chewed up pupae. also if youve got a screened bottom of some type, now is the perfect time to find destroyed mites from aggressive grooming behavior. looked for the amputated legs and crushed shells.

The removal of brood seems to have stopped.
    Thanks for all the advice.

I am feeing 2:1 syrup right now and trying to leave them alone as much as possible. I will treat again with Oxalic in October and see if there is the pattern of brood removal again. I'll report back either way.

Thanks,
    Kai