Dadant depth frames

Default Dadant depth frames

Been awhile since we talked about these. Is there currently a source for Dadant depth frames 11.25"? Wanting 1.5" spacing. I hate making frames with a passion. If not a will prepare to make frames. But am looking for a US source for "distance retainers" as i'll pass on Hoffman type frames. Lemme know what you know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Dadant depth frames

Humble Abodes will make custom sized frames.

Thanks Schultz. Emailed them will report back what they say.

I also inquired about 12 frame dadant depth hive bodies as they do custom boxes as well.

Thorne in England. A friend went to Apimondia and brought me a packet.

https://www.thorne.co.uk/frames-and-.../dadant-frames

Good luck on freight fees.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

Good luck on freight fees.
    Only if I was very desperate. Waiting on Humble Abodes to respond no sense heading to Europe if it can be gotten here. Queen excluders for 12 fr. Dadant is a bigger issue....

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Huestis View Post
    Queen excluders for 12 fr. Dadant is a bigger issue....
    I think I'd make a wood excluder frame with a divider, then cut down two excluders to fit the frame.
    Zone 6B

>Queen excluders for 12 fr. Dadant is a bigger issue....

I got those from Swienty in Denmark but had to make a wood frame. Very good quality.
    All of my opinions and suggestions are based on my five decades of actual beekeeping,
    not so much on book learning, watching YouTube videos nor reading internet sites.

I think I'd make a wood excluder frame with a divider, then cut down two excluders to fit the frame.
    Ya its what I was thinking. But will see what I can figure out. Going to test out 5, 12frame Dadant hives so going to keep investment low for now. My next thing is can I mount plastic lang foundation vertically (2 cut off pieces) into a 11.25 frame or will the vertical orientation be bad for bees. Thinking it won't matter but have never tried it. Have some old plastic frame/foundation that are broke on one side. Figured I could cut the foundation out and re- purpose it vertically into dadant frames instead of tossing it.

I got those from Swienty in Denmark but had to make a wood frame. Very good quality.
    Think FP got some from Canada and had to do the same. Hope he chimes in at some point as to the source for those. Once I get frames and excluder nailed down I can make a go for it. Can make everything else. I believe Dadant still sells foundation. I will probably get another hand mill at some point as I have the knowledge and skill to make foundation. That way if dadant dries up as a source I can offer it to people who need it.

The hex orientation will change. Bee comb normally is made with the hex vertex on the bottom, ⬢. If you turn the foundation you put the hex flat on the bottom, ⬣. I don't know if that will mess with the bees. The Lusby's claimed that bees used the Y and ⅄ vertices made by back to back hexagons for in hive navigation. I don't know the scientific basis for their claim or if there even is one, just that they made it and I remain a bit skeptical because bees seem to have no problems with plastic. If they weren't full of it then it would be inadvisable.

Why not just use a standard 8-1/2 inch deep foundation sheet and let them build the rest with natural comb, its only an extra 1-5/8 inches? It will help keep the girls from making drone comb in other places and you could easily cull excess drone comb that way.
    Zone 6B

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    I cut a pair of metal framed excluders so each piece is half the box width. One side will not have frame but it sets on the edge of the hive. It will be no big problem to handle the excluder as two pieces rather than one.

I used the resulting waste to make a queen timing cage.
    Frank

Personally never bought into housel positioning of combs. But your right I will put the foundation in the normal manner. If it bothers me I'll just cut in a piece of foundation strip to fill the gap and glue it. Its only 12 frames in a brood chamber so not that big a deal. Heck I could cut combs from lang hives and mount in these frames too. Got plenty of options.

Quote Originally Posted by JConnolly View Post
    The hex orientation will change. Bee comb normally is made with the hex vertex on the bottom, ⬢. If you turn the foundation you put the hex flat on the bottom, ⬣. I don't know if that will mess with the bees. The Lusby's claimed that bees used the Y and ⅄ vertices made by back to back hexagons for in hive navigation. I don't know the scientific basis for their claim or if there even is one, just that they made it and I remain a bit skeptical because bees seem to have no problems with plastic. If they weren't full of it then it would be inadvisable.

Why not just use a standard 8-1/2 inch deep foundation sheet and let them build the rest with natural comb, its only an extra 1-5/8 inches? It will help keep the girls from making drone comb in other places and you could easily cull excess drone comb that way.
    Some of the fellows doing deep layens or such are apparently running the plastic foundation the other orientation with apparently no problems. Gosh we haven't thrashed (or is that trashed) Housel positioning for a long time! I have set up some of my dadant and extra dadant depth frames with a crosswise splice. Will be doing some with the pattern the other way and allow for drone construction in the gaps at either side. Something to play with.
    Frank

I cut a pair of metal framed excluders so each piece is half the box width. One side will not have frame but it sets on the edge of the hive. It will be no big problem to handle the excluder as two pieces rather than one.
    I was thinking of digging out a few of my wood bound excluders. Centering it of the hives and adding boards on each side of the excluder to take up the gaps. Quick and easy and still have the excluder as it was in the chance 12 frame dadant hives aren't for me.

I used 2 med boxes (1st version) and glued together for hive body.

Got frames at 12.75" from Weller Bee Supply in Ohio, they have website but not free shipping. Something like $1.40 per.

I take 2 deep foundation pieces, cut to 12.75", then put in 90 degrees to intended orientation.

I love love love that I have 10 frames to check to manage brood chamber.

I got the excluders from Propolis-etc in Canada. They were WAY too expensive due to shipping costs. IMO, use Lang excluders and make wood frames.

Propolis sells frames ready made and maybe cheap enough to be worth your time. I built my own frames with 31.5 mm spacing putting 14 frames in a hive. I could give you a long list of reasons why 1.5 inch spacing is not optimal, but it is what Dadant and Brother Adam used. In the end, it all gets down to how you manage the hive.

Check with Dadant to see if they have some foundation in stock. I'm not a fan of plastic foundation. There are too many issues getting it drawn.

https://www.propolis-etc.ca/
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest