Videos from Germany

Question

Ok - so whats the deal with the clear plastic over the top of the brood or super in the videos? Anyone else heard of or tried that? I noticed that even the German mini nucs have a clear plastic cover on the inside. What do they know that we don't?

Steve :confused:
    Steven Lechner<br />[email protected]<br />303.657.5360

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

My guess is that it allows the beekeeper to see how things are going (winter cluster, comb building, etc) without necessarily openning the hive.

Larkspur,

I saw these covers while in Germany and also on (probably) the same videos. It is my understanding that the Germans/Europeans use these barriers in lieu of an inner cover. Look at those videos carefully when they open the hive for inspection. I have not seen them use an inner cover like we do. We do have some members in Germany and Scandinavia. Maybe they will respond.

[size="1"][ February 08, 2007, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: RonS ][/size]
    Hobbyist

RonS and Riki got it quite right...
    The plastic sheets are used as inner cover in poly-hives. I think the main purpose is to keep the bees from propolising the lid hard to supers/brood boxes.
    Another reason is that some types of poly-hives has a lid with build in space for emergency feeding, treatment with formic acid and venltilation. In these hives the sheets prevent the bees from filling the empty space above the frames with comb...

[size="1"][ February 08, 2007, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: thorbue ][/size]

ok - so this begs the question - is this something we should consider doing in the states - I thought ventilation was the holy grail. why have a ventilated inner cover if you really don't need it? Do they leave the plastic on throughout the winter? What about condensation? I just think the videos show a really neat and clean operation and you can see thorugh the plastic.
    Steve

ok - so this begs the question - is this something we should consider doing in the states - I thought ventilation was the holy grail. why have a ventilated inner cover if you really don't need it? Do they leave the plastic on throughout the winter? What about condensation? I just think the videos show a really neat and clean operation and you can see thorugh the plastic.
    Steve

Steve

The cover is always in use.
    Condensation can occur but as the lids is made of polystyrene (as the boxes)they are well insulated. Many poly-hive types has a ventilated lid/cover and slotted plastic-sheet inner covers.
    If plastic covers are used in normal "american" hives one would - depending on the local climate - have to insulate the outher cover to avoid condensation.

I only use these covers in some of my poly-hives, where they are needed to avoid burr-comb. Most of my hives doesn't need them or I use a multifuntional wooden inner cover...

- Thor Bue

[size="1"][ February 09, 2007, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: thorbue ][/size]

How many of us feel like wimps after watch that young woman work the bees. Maybe we need different bees, huh?

leamon