high fructose corn syrup
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does anyone know where one can get a 55 gallon drum of this stuff in northeast new england? I'm thinking this will be far bette than making my own sugar syrup due to how laborous it is.

bill w.
    maine

[size="1"][ February 03, 2007, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: Bill Warren ][/size]

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I have the same question - I am in Colorado - also, do you dilute it? Dummies book seems to be written in a way that you think you would use it straight?
    Steven Lechner<br />[email protected]<br />303.657.5360

i feed it straight in the fall anddilute it with water in the spring

Bill - Have you tried Micucci's on Warren Ave in Ptld? I haven't used HFCS myself but that's where I'd start.
    Next try would be Sysco.
    If Sysco wont let you order, work a deal with your local diner to order through them.

Mann Lake reccomends that you put ten gallons of water in the drum before they fill it up. They said if you store it undiluted you might get crystalization problems in the winter. By adding the water first you don't have to worrey about mixing it. It will mix itself on the drive home.
    doug

Interesting about the mixing.

I just sent an email to Sysco today. They will sell it to me I'm sure. They were willing ot sell me sugar in bulk, but then i realized it was WAY more $ than the freakin' grocery store

I'll check Micucci's monday morning.

I'm thinking whatever I don't use I'll simply bottle in gallon jugs and store in the basement. I'm about to order the mann lake top feeders that hold 4 gals.

I'll let you know when I find a place that will sell it.

regards,
    bill

There's a railhead in Westboro, MA. Tate and Lisle ship it in from the midwest. Ewell Trucking company hauls it from there, all over New England.

I used to drive my truck under the fill hose, and they would fill my drums. Don't think they do that anymore, but you could ask. I also know that they return with extra syrup sometimes, that gets washed down the drain.

Also, they might give you some leads, as to where some might be...one of their customers who would be wlling to sell some?

Or, you could do what we do in Vermont. Several beekeepers go in on a trailer load of syrup in the fall. I always buy enough to go until next fall. There's a minimum order, by weight. I know the trailer will hold somewhere near 45000 lbs., maybe a little more. I've had them deliver around 35000 before. A barrel filled to 29" will hold about 600 lbs. 60-70 drums would do it...if you know enough Maine beekeepers to go in on a load. That's only 10 beekeepers taking 6 drums each.

Some great leads Michael. I'm going to check that out Monday as well.

Stay tuned.

Micheal what was the pricing?

We paid $.1836/lb on 10/4/06. The price went up a few cents since then, because of the price of corn.

Looking at my invoice, the contact #, etc is...
    Tate and Lyle
    30 Walkup Dr
    Westboro, MA 01581
    508-366-8322

Ok, here's what I've found out so far....

Sysco...NOT! The only corn syrup they have is in 1 gallon containers.

I did just speak with someone at Tate and Lyle. They seemed very helpful. They deal only in high fructose corn syrup, and he was familiar with what I was looking for as soon as I said 'bees'. He took my number and was going to have their sales guy call me to talk details.

So, I have two questions...

How much syrup could I anticipate going through with 4-6 hives?

More importantly, how many other beekeepings in the Maine/NH area would be interested in going in on getting a shipment? It sounded like they would deliver it where ever I'd like and offload it into whatever containers each person has.

Is anyone else interested in high fructose corn syrup? Let me know here. Thanks.

Bill Warren
    [email protected]

I tried finding a source in Western NY. I started by googling HFC and there actually was an Association of HFC producers. I emailed them for and asked for a local source. They directed me to an ingredient supplier and they sent me to a source which I could look up if you need me to which was in the fingerlake area. I would also look to soft drink bottling plants, etc. It is a lot more available than you realize once you look around.

I just talked to the salesman. He's calling me back shortly with a price on a full tank of 3500 gallons. So obviously, I can't use all of this myself [img]smile.gif[/img]

If I can't take a full tank, he will direct me to some resellers that might be able to sell it in lesser quantities.

thanks,
    bill w.

Check your local bakeries. Sometimes they can be convinced to sell 5 gallons at a time. In this area most are unwilling to sell it at all, but in New England it is alot easier to get a helping hand. Also you can join your local food co-op and they will order it when you need it. If you don't have a food co-op you could always start one.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

HFC suppliers often can supply sugar syrup too. It's better for the bees.

You might be able to take a 55 gallon drum or two to the supply depot and have them filled there.

I have heard that the recent problem with corn syrup fed to bees was that the syrup had been heated too highly causing the syrup to be chemically different and therefore harmful to the bees. Maybe this has already been mentioned. Maybe someone could confirm this or refute it?
    Mark Berninghausen

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/ind...yrup_Solid.htm here is an online source. I havent ever bought from them, but have been thinking about getting their fondant. its the only online source I have been able to find that the fondant is just sugar and corn syrup.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

HFC suppliers often can supply sugar syrup too. It's better for the bees.

You might be able to take a 55 gallon drum or two to the supply depot and have them filled there.

I have heard that the recent problem with corn syrup fed to bees was that the syrup had been heated too highly causing the syrup to be chemically different and therefore harmful to the bees. Maybe this has already been mentioned. Maybe someone could confirm this or refute it?
    Mark Berninghausen

[size="1"][ February 05, 2007, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: sqkcrk ][/size]
    Mark Berninghausen

Oh great. Now I shouldn't use HFCS? Michael!!!! LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast