What is a good price for sugar?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am trying to find the cheapest place to buy sugar. What we be considered a good price.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I buy mine from Wal-Mart or Dollar store about the same price on any given day.Pembroke

Here near Denver we are paying $0.28 - $0.30 a pound in 10 pound bags. Even if you go bulk corn syrup you can get much lower than that.
    Steven Lechner<br />[email protected]<br />303.657.5360

In Jersey isn't it the sugar the fall off the back of a truck?
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

$0.40 per pound is what I have been paying this fall.
    Bee all you can Bee!
    http://www.hamiltonapiary.net

In NC, I am getting 25 lbs. for $10.68 at Wal-Mart.
    Ron

Here in MO, Sam's Club has 50# bags for $22 (that's 44 cents a pound). It's also name-brand cane sugar.

I can go to the local supermarket and buy store-brand sugar (cane or beet? not sure!) for 40 cents a pound, but it only comes in 4# bags.

I hate the little girls at the check out with questions about what I'm going to do with all that sugar. Besides, opening one 50# bag is easier than a dozen 4# bags.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

"I hate the little girls at the check out with questions about what I'm going to do with all that sugar"

Grant,
    When I get that question, my standard reply is that I am making "shine".

Since we're in NC, the checkout girls seem to understand that answer better than an explanation about bees.

Regards,
    Miles

It appears that sugar at the local supermarket does have a good price for sugar. I nerver did pay attention to whether it is cane or beet sugar. Does it make a difference to the bees? I also don't care for having to check out a whole bunch of 10# bags of sugar. At least it's not 5# bags. I have not been asked yet what I am doing with all the sugar.

[size="1"][ October 01, 2006, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: CWBees ][/size]

Here in PA, I get mine at Giant. They have the best price I've been able to find. "Guaranteed Value" cheap-o sugar in 4 lb bags runs $1.50, or $.38/lb. I've been buying in bulk (200 lbs) but no discount At least they come wrapped by the case and are easier to handle than when I was pulling them off the shelf.

I mix into gallon milk jugs, so the 4# bags work well for me. 1-1/2 bags in each jug filled almost to the top is about a gallon of 2:1 (close enough for bee work ) I drop in a little vanilla extract to make it a little more appealing.
    Southeast PA - 7 colonies, local mutts on natural comb, TF
    George Imirie's INDEXED Pink Pages: http://goo.gl/WiZUH3

55 hfcs is 22 cents a pound. No mixing. easy to use. If you can find a manufacture that is buying bulk you can get sweepings for almost free but it can be full of garbage. It is amazing that commodity sugar on the board is only 10.2 cents a pound. packaging and shipping sure do add up.

I tell the little girls at the check-out counter that I'm baking a big cake. In the Vancouver area, sugar is $32 per 40 kg bag. That's works out to bout 36.5 cents to the pound. If you go early and give them the heads up they might even load a full pallet if you ask real nice. No discounts for any amount.

In the spring I believ the price hit $44/bag and that it was going higher. Evidetly the speculators were wrong.

Jean-Marc

&gt;When I get that question, my standard reply is that I am making "shine".

I'm kind of surprised the Revenuers haven't showed up.

I always get the question. It varies from: "wow, you must be doing a lot of baking" to "wow, you must be making a lot of candy" to "wow, you must be making a lot of jelly"

Shine is unheard of around here except in movies.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

&lt;Cane or Beet Sugar&gt;

Do a search on Beet Sugar for feeding bees. Everything I have read suggests that it can be toxic to your bees.

&lt;Shine is unheard of around here except in movies&gt;

It isn't common out here either but everybody seems to understand when I tell them I use it in my still because it's quicker and easier than making corn mash.
    doug

I do the same thing as PA Pete, for about the same price. The checkout girls in State College tend to be pretty cute, so I never object to a bit of polite conversation. The town already has more 'shine than needed...
    Opps, almost forgot to add that they are also bit more 'mature' than most towns...

[size="1"][ October 02, 2006, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Aspera ][/size]

If you need alot, and if you have a sugar
    refinery in the area, ask them which train
    company hauls. Then ask the train company
    if they clean out their cars and retain
    the sugar.

Here I get sugar in 2000# tote bags for
    14 cents a pound. Mixed at 66% solids like
    HFCS your cost is less than 1/2 the cost
    of HFCS. Plus I don't have to worry about
    spoilage as I mix smaller 125 gallon batches
    at a time.
    Closing in on retirement.......

"Shine is unheard of around here except in movies."

Michael:
    I think they call it "ethanol" there in corn country.

Regards,
    Miles

There appears to be a real difference in the price of sugar depending where you buy it. I thought it would be pretty consistant around the country.

The chain market had #25 for $8something=.34 but since summer is over--same bag is now $12something=.50. Guess I'll have to look around the used food stores--I mean the out of date dented can shops.
    Lol
    BBZZZZZ

&gt;Do a search on Beet Sugar for feeding bees. Everything I have read suggests that it can be toxic to your bees.

I've fed a LOT of beet sugar to bees over the last 32 years with no ill effects.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast