2007 Package Price Predictions?

Question

I thought that I would throw the above question out there since I am going to make a considerable move next spring. I'm planning on purchasing 30 packages next spring. Currently I have 10 strong hives, and I would like to go into the winter of 2007 with around 60 or more hives. Just wondering what other beeks think the price will be for packages in 2007.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

a single package or 60 at one time?

That is a tough one. Let me check my crystal ball. All I know is it isn't going to be cheap. What were packages going for up there this spring?

[size="1"][ September 25, 2006, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: magnet-man ][/size]
    Home of the ventilated and sting resistant Ultra Breeze bee suits and jackets
    http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com

I mean a single package. I didn't purchase any packages this year, but from what I've seen of prices they were from $55-$65. I just recieved a reply from a supplier in WV and he said that he sold his for $65 in 06, but said that the price would be going up in 07. He also told me that I should probaly look for a supplier closer to me. Anyone know of a good package supplier that will come up through or near philadelphia. I'm also willing to drive about 150 miles.

Shoot if the packages go up to $70.00 or higher, I will probaly just get nucs. That is if Bjornbee keeps his prices steady.

Tecumseh,
    I want to get 15-30 packages and then split those to get to 60 colonies.

I believe the price of packages at that fairly well known place a bit south of me was $70 last year. Kelley's was $60 plus $11 shipping. You could knock off 2 bucks by ordering 10 at a time from Kelley's.

My guess is that both will bump their price by $5 or more, which will be barely enough to cover the increase in fuel cost. The almond pollination fees will continue to act as THE opportunity cost for those folks who produce packages.

You'd be much better off with nucs if there's not too much difference in the price. In addition, nucs would put you closer to your expansion goal much sooner.

I'd go with nucs, even if you have to drive to pick them up, and they cost more. It'd still be a better deal. JMHO!
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

I live the next county over from Weavers, so far they say there County and our does not have the AHB, last I looked anyways. I paid $80.00 for a 3lb. package this spring 2006. I feel they are doing good. I could of saved some money if I were to pick them up but I didn't get the chance next year I will pick them up.Next year I am going to buy two and split what I have now.
    ;) Good Day Craig W.<br /><a href=\"http://www.weaversproduce.mysite.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.weaversproduce.mysite.com</a>

I am definitely leaning towards NUCS, especially if I can get them with SMR or Russian Queens. This is my 2nd year with the bees. Last year I learned a valuable lesson about feeding. When I only had on e out of 10 hives make it through the winter. I didn't feed at all last year because I thought the girls could do it by themselves. Unfortunately it was very dry last year and I paid the price. This year I've been feeding all my 10 of my hives, and now they are all close to 100 pds. Now that I have more beeyard opportunity's I'm looking to start putting hives at these yards.

I wouldn't expect anyone to keep their prices "steady" but if Bjornbee keeps his service steady it would be a no brainer... [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I was really happy with his service and his bees. Also, I'm a beginner but I believe that getting local stock, that have already made it through the winter in my area might give them that much better chance of survival in the future.
    Good luck,
    Aram

B. Weaver in Texas is advertising 07 #3 packages for $90 plus $15 shipping. That is getting steep. R. Weaver has not posted his prices. Guess that I will be looking elsewhere.
    Hobbyist

Here's some ideas on where to get bees in PA.
    Draper's Super bees picks up packages and brings them to their Tioga County PA farm. Fisher's bees sell NUCs from their Lewisburg PA office (however the NUCs are from Florida) and of course Bjorn Bees. With the issues from the postal serveice I wouldn't count on being able to get packages in the mail. My advice is to figure out what you want to do and make it happen. Get on someones list nlt Thanksgiving. That may mean putting a downpayment for the bees at that time, however it will probably be worth the peace of mind.

How about traps. I was able to trap 10 swarms this year with little effort at all. Also re: Weavers - great people but their bees were as mean as hell. Plan to requeen this weekend.
    Steven Lechner<br />[email protected]<br />303.657.5360

I live the next county over from Weavers, so far they say there County and our does not have the AHB
    They do have AHB in Grimes county. Are "They" the Weavers??

http://agnews.tamu.edu/bees/list.htm

What is interesting about this next map is the gap of counties by the Texas border that don't have AHB but the states right next to them have them by their border. Me thinks there is something rotten in Denmark.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Research/doc...d=11059&page=6

Stingshield's map
    http://www.stingshield.com/tx-se.htm

[size="1"][ September 29, 2006, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: magnet-man ][/size]

magnet-man, I agree, they must think them bee's on the west side of La. came from the east side (florida)
    Ted

So Craig W are you a distant relative of the Weavers?

first off let me repeat myself when I suggest that there are a number of weaver's in navasota. do not confuse one with the other in terms of product or reputation.

magnet-man:
    at least in regards to your second map (usda) it does appear if Grimes County has a certified african siting (about 2004).

then magnet man sezs:
    What is interesting about this next map is the gap of counties by the Texas border that don't have AHB but the states right next to them have them by their border.

tecumseh replies:
    this is the east texas piney woods. in most places a vast sea of pine timber interrupted by a raparian strip with sprinklings of hard wood timbers. there are a lot of migratory bee keepers who set down in the strip from about now until early spring.... without a large feed bucket attached most of these hives would starve fairly straight out. perhaps the african's are smart enough not to go in there???