Queen laying in upside down comb

Howdy All --

Several times, postings on this forum have
    stated that queens will not lay in wrongly oriented cells. To test this, I cut out the
    comb part of a Permacomb and fastened it upside down in a wood frame. This was put in
    the brood area of a strong colony.

Within 2 days, nectar and pollen were being stored. Two weeks later both sides
    of the frame were filled with sealed brood.
    A beautiful sight. There was plenty of laying space in other frames, so she was not forced to use that comb.

Doc

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Bees used to abandon upside down comb for me. This year they changed their minds. The usual story...bees will make less of an expert of you every time.

I've flipped crosscombed boxes upside down and the bees didn't abandon it, in fact they stored honey in it, but the queen left and the brood all emerged before I scrapped it. So she must not have liked it. I always figured they must have reworked it to put the honey in it, but maybe they didn't.

If you think about it a queen cell has a larvae in it upside down. Gravity doesn't make them fall out.

Exclamation

I have a question. Was the comb already drawn out when you reversed it? The starter strips of any comb have the same angle. As the bees draw it out then they get orientated slightly upward. Try taking the comb out now and reverse it. Bet they will either abandon it or redo the comb.
    Dan

PermaComb is fully drawn, so it would already be fully drawn comb and the bees can't rework it because it's entirely (walls and all) plastic.

I've seen them put honey up into cells that are "L" shaped on the glass in my observation hive. It's the surface tension that seems to keep it there. They force it up into the corners and it stays.

Thanks MB, did not know that about PermaComb.
    Dan