Review and prep for next spring

Probobly a dumb question but I don't remember it being anwsered before. Ok so I am hoping to have alot of bees make it through winter. Next spring can I take bees from multiple hives and mix them together and put them in a new hive with a new queen?
    Steven Lechner<br />[email protected]<br />303.657.5360

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

yup, if you have 5 hives, you can take one frame from each and make up a new nuc, just make sure you have the queens sorted out. Or two from each of two hives, etc etc. It doesn't hurt to mist them down with some sugar water with scent(vanilla, spearmint, etc).

At only 1 frame at a time you can do this every week or two without a huge decrease in the surplus they will produce. Or more if you don't care about the honey.

-rick

Here's my recipe for a 5 frame nuc:

3 frames capped brood with house bees.
    1 frame honey
    1 frame pollen (probably honey/pollen mix)

Put frames into a 5 frame styrofoam nuc box. Shake some loose bees on top of the frames. Close the top and leave alone for 24 hours.
    Then, add a new caged queen. Leave alone.

After a couple weeks, when the new queen is laying, move the five frames to the center of a full deep. Make up the remaining space with frames of drawn comb and a board feeder full of syrup.

Watch your new hive take off!

It's so fun, I can't wait.

Ed.
    4th year bk.

It's probably a good idea to give each frame a couple shakes to get the field bees off before you mix frames from different hives, although I have skipped doing that quite a few times when I am in a hurry. I usually put the bees in a special swarm box and store it in a cool place overnight before I put them in a nuke. There are usually an handful or more of dead bees left when I transfer them which I atribute to fighting.
    doug

It's probably a good idea to give each frame a couple shakes to get the field bees off before you mix frames from different hives
    Shake some loose bees on top of the frames
    3 frames capped brood with house bees
    As a new guy, I'm a little uncertain about the difference in "house" bees, the "field" bees and the "loose" bees.

I'm to shake the field bees off but shake some loose bees in and leave the house bees on. Am I making too much of the differences?

Thanks, Ray