Will a top feeder allow for more syrup usage?

I am trying to get some weight onto a hive. I was wondering if anyone had ever compared the entrance feeder to the top feeder in regard to the amount of syrup that the bees use and store? Any advice is appreciated.
    Ron

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Throw your entrance feeder away.
    Steven Lechner<br />[email protected]<br />303.657.5360

I never use entrance feeders.
    Dulcius ex asperis

The bees will collect more(faster) from a hive top feeder, and will possible collect round the clock. The entrance feeder is limited by the area or number of bees able to get to the feeder, and will not collect after the feeder(syrup) becomes "cold" during the night.

In both cases, bees will only process a certain amount of syrup based upon how many bees are available and other factors including weather, in regards to how fast they can process(dehydrate) and store the nectar into ripened honey.

I use many boardman feeders. They are great for open feeding on a platform away from the hives. I never use them at the entrance. Of course I never use hive-top feeders either.

you guy's need background info
    Ron got his bees thru iddee
    iddee uses entrance feeders with no problem
    I think he uses some kind of ESP to mind meld with the bees and tell them to all "play nice" [img]smile.gif[/img]
    when I use entrance feeders they all try to kill each other
    plus top feeders hold more so you don't have to fill them so often

Dave

BjornBee,

when you open feed how far do you set the feeders from the hives??
    Doesn't it cause trouble if the feeder is to close??

Dave

Dave,
    I would prefer at least 100 yards. But the one I'm using now is about 100 feet. The first couple days many bees are searching for this "free" meal that everyone is excited about. But then they settle down and are "homed in" on the feeder. I do not experience fighting or robbing that I have seen with trying to feed individaul hives.

The only feeding inside the hive I prefer is with bee cnady or fondant. I have fed syyrup inside the hive in the past, and feel nothing is wrong with it as long as its done before cold weather sets in. Inside feeding through late fall or even in winter injects a huge abnormal amount of moisture that the bees have to deal with.

If they go outside the hive, I know what they bring back is an amount they can handle and process.

I've had trouble with boardman feeders set on the hive and even with top feeders
    what has worked well is an inverted jar over the inner cover hole (enclosed by a box)
    my conclusion has been anything that results in an "open pool" of syrup is a bad idea near the hive
    the feeders I saw iddee use are entrance feeders but they are a wooden stand into which you insert an inverted jar with small holes punched in the lid so hence no "open pool"
    he seems to have no problems and they're easy to refill
    I'm gonna test some chicken water fonts full of syrup placed a couple hundred feet away and will report results

Dave

My bees have been taking about a quart every 2 1/2 days through an entrance feeder. I have seen very few bees around my house prior to getting this one hive. I only know of about three hives near me, and they are all aproximately 1 mile from here.

I only have the one hive, and up until yesterday I have had a robber screen on the hive. After removing the robber screen, I have noticed that there is not as much activity around the hive as before I removed it. I was wondering if anyone could possible explain why they would have slowed down on their activity after removing the robber screen? The activity is less than before, and would not indicate any flow at all, and the syrup is not being used either. One quart has been on the hive since Tuesday, and only a portion of it is gone. Should I change it out?

[size="1"][ September 15, 2006, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: NCBeginner ][/size]
    Ron

&gt;Throw your entrance feeder away.

No. Put them on top of the inner cover with a box around them and a lid on them. Just don't put them on the entrnace. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Or send them to me!

Teach your bees some manners, then they work fine.

My bees are not working at all. I think they are on strike.
    Ron