New Beekeeping Resource - Beeblogs.com

Lightbulb

Ok I have been working on a new website called http://www.beeblogs.com which i think is pretty neat. I would appreciate any comments and feedback.

Please click on the demo's in the middle of the page and tell me what you think?

I started off developing the site with 3 goals in mind:
    1) I wanted the ability to easily post my beekeeping experiences for others to read ( mostly my friends and family)
    2) I wanted an easy way to keep "tabs" on some great threads that are on this BBS.
    3) I wanted the ability to easily share my bee pictures.

After putting some serious resources into the development of the site i figured others might also enjoy the site too If you wish sign up and i will create you an account after i am done testing the site.

The site's 2 main feature are it's BLOGGING capabilities (Blogging is a new Internet driven format that allows people to be able to post daily activities for others to read) and its full fledged online beehive NOTEBOOK which allows you to store details, history and pictures for each of your hives.

take a look and tell me what you think?
    http://www.beeblogs.com

You can click on the Login button to change content and upload pictures.

Thanks,

NHBeekeeper

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

It's a little too soon to see much, but once you get it going I think it'll be interesting to read what others post. (I'm assuming these will be public?) Nice job. One suggestion is to speed up your server - it took the pages a long to load.

I've had a beeblog for two years. It's hard to keep up with it now that every little detail isn't new any more. But people stop by and leave comments now and then which I enjoy.

--Madeleine

------------------
    First Year Beekeeping Journal: http://www.blackcatnetworkhelp.net/beeblog.aspx

Looks good so far! I did notice an error on the favorite bee breeds question- its not carolina but carniolan. I went ahead and registered and am looking forward to using your site.

thanks kenpkr about the typo i just fixed it and added a few more queen breeds to the poll.

in regards to the content being public mnist my intention is to leave that up to each user so that they will have the choice of content being public or private.

i am leaning towards each user having their own bee blog (journal) and any "public" posts will be collected and displayed on a central blog too in addition to their own blog.

speed? i just had the service reboot to see if that helps with speed. it is hard to judge the speed of the site from where i am deployed overseas, currently

------------------

NH Beekeeper

------------------------------------------
    Have you seen BeeBlogs.com ?

Great site I had no problems with the speed, I am overseas also. Can't wait to give it a try

------------------
    Procrastination is the assination of inspiration.

Gary

Wow, nice site. One thing though, I went through the 'My Store' bit to see how it worked out, and I checked 'Buy With CreditCard'. I noticed on the page where someone might enter their Credit Card Information that the page is not Secured via VeriSign. I won't (and I'd imagine everyone else on the net) enter my Credit Card (rather my moms lol) info onto any site that isn't secured. There's just too much Fraud going on these days.

But the rest of the site looks fabulous! Love what you've done.

------------------
    -Scotty

Weekly progress of my hive(s): http://bees.total-x.org

[This message has been edited by Scotty (edited October 04, 2004).]

those pictures are nice and tiny. Any way to click and enlarge?

Rebooting the server must have done the trick because now the pages load nice and fast

I enjoyed the photos!

a few answers to your questions above:

scotty the shopping cart is not finished yet. those pages are to test and show the functionality of the store. when it is offered if people think it is a usefull feature the order page can be easily secured with a SSL certificate i also follow the rule of thumb that i never purchase anything either on the Internet unless it is a secure page. hey i really like your site. pretty cool pictures

beeman no problem i can easily add the ability to show an enlarged pic when the smaller one is clicked.

mnist glad to hear the reboot worked these ms windows database driven sites sometimes have memory leaks on the server side which need to be "kicked" now and then to get better performance.

i am almost finished up on the backend of the web site so that i can easily add new sites for each user. i hope to have login details out to each person who requested an account by this weekend.

------------------
    NH Beekeeper

** Have you seen BeeBlogs.com ?

"i also follow the rule of thumb that i never purchase anything either on the Internet unless it is a secure page."

What security does a secure page give you? It does insure that the communications is encrypted so an outside party can't listen in. But in the end, someone at the other end is going to have all the details about your credit card needed to make a purchase.

i have been ordering across the Internet since 1995 and never have had any issues. I would say that i do 90% of my shopping online.

what is interesting is that out of all the sites i have purchased from over the years "Bee Supply" sites are usually unsecure? why? so i end up calling them up over the telephone when ordering supplies.

------------------
    NH Beekeeper

** Have you seen BeeBlogs.com ?

Because a small operation with low profit margins may not be able to afford the extra cost of a secure site key. And beekeepers tend to be a lot more trusting. How many beekeepers have you known that have a self serve honey stand?

I've had a bug about the secure transactions ever since they were first proposed. Do you really care if someone could eavesdrop on your communications and find out what bee supplies you were ordering? What really needs to be protected is the ability of a third party to take money out of your checking or credit card account without your express authorization. The secure order page only stops the eavesdropping and does nothing to protect your account.

If you could write a draft on your account and sign it in a way that your bank could verify that you wrote the draft and it had not been altered, your account would be safe even if a copy of that draft was later printed in the New York Times. The technology to do this electronically has been around for over 25 years. The software to do it has been available (for free) for at least 15 years. And even the patents have expired so it's royalty free.

So why don't we have secure digital drafts? Because the banks don't care. They just raise their fees to cover the losses and bounce the bad transactions back to the merchants. The merchants don't care because they accept the looses as part or the overhead and increase their prices to make up the difference and pass the bad transactions off to a collection agency that crank in more fees and penalties and make an overall profit from the customers that make an innocent mistake while letting the real frauds get away. So the real question is why doesn't the customer that pays the higher bank fees, pays the higher retail prices, pays the extortionist fees and penalties for making a mistake care?!

Dano, sounds like a PGP signature to me.

I click login and can't see a login screen it just puts me in the middle of the page.

------------------

Gary

miki what browser are you using?

i just tried your site with IE and it works fine from this side?

however i have not tried it with Netscrape

OK...I got it now.... Temporary brain cramp on my part...lack of sleep.....the Army can be so fun sometimes......yea right!!!

------------------

Gary

ok little by little i am chugging away at a backlog for setting up new accounts.

sorry for the delay.

has anybody done anything with an active account yet?
    NH Beekeeper