Queen/Drone Traps

I aquired 3 Queen/Drone traps in the auctiion last fall.

Besides the obvious (catching queens and drones).... What is the practical application for these? Stopping absconding??

Should I sell them or keep em??? They are new.....
    Closing in on retirement.......

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

They are not for catchng queens and drones. They are for preventing swarming and absconding, but they have the problem that the drones cannot get out. They are useful at times (like right after installing a package) but not very useful during the main season with drones not able to leave the hive. If you are anticipating a swarm, perhaps they could postpone it for you. I have several but have only used them for installing packages.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Thanks.........
    Closing in on retirement.......

Default Re: Queen/Drone Traps

Back in the 60's and 70's we used them to prevent swarming... what was nice, is if the queen went in the bees would start balling her and we would take them and the trap, move it to another hive open the slide door and let her back into the new hive... no worries about having to retrieve Bees in the top of the trees or them going bye-bye...lol Amos, always would drown the drones caught... I just would let them out the front and then slide it back in. In fact I have some to sell....
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

Good for cell builders so stray virgins don't enter and kill the cells.

any body have a picture of one of these?

At the beginning of this thread is a picture of an old one Brac... nope that was on another one... just do a search for queen traps at the top...

Here is the thread address: https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...s-a-queen-trap
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerock View Post
    Back in the 60's and 70's we used them to prevent swarming... what was nice, is if the queen went in the bees would start balling her and we would take them and the trap, move it to another hive open the slide door and let her back into the new hive... no worries about having to retrieve Bees in the top of the trees or them going bye-bye...lol Amos, always would drown the drones caught... I just would let them out the front and then slide it back in. In fact I have some to sell....
    I want to buy some!
    How much you charge for quantity: 5, 10, 15?

Also, how much will be shipping charge to Westfield, MA 01085?

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerock View Post
    send info to: [email protected]