permacomb ripped comb

i use permacomb and when i pull out a frame it rips open the drone brood comb which the bees built up to connect togethor the frames to move vertically. from what i read on the board this has a benefit in that you can easily see if there are mites in your hive. not sure if i buy that one? but my question is if i should scrape off the ripped comb off the frame that i have in my hand?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

You can, but they'll just re-build it by the next time you inspect.

i was wondering if it would help them in that i would think they are going to remove the damaged bees, anyhow?

but on the other hand they will be starting to rebuild from scratch.
    NH Beekeeper

I just leave it. I do try to pay attention to the drone brood to monitor for mites.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

They build the drone brood there because permacomb is the wrong size. If you find mites in it and then scrape the drones off you'll actually be doing the hive a favor by destroying mites. How many supers do you have on? When the bees need more room they plug up every litle space.

Dickm

I only scrape it off when the frames won't settel back in place, usually when putting them in a different position.

It is a waste of Bee reSources to remove it all. It will slow progress down as they will feel a need to replace their 'ladder' to the upper frame.

If you want to remove something, trim off the little plastic tabs from the underside of the frame. Having them trimmed off will aid you during extraction when you will need to scrape off any drone brood when decapping.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

I've found the cells of new comb stretch when pull up. then I can't get the frame back in. So I clean off whatever comb sticks to the bottom of the frame. And leave the ladder that they built inside the box. That is, after checking for mites. If you see mites clean it all out and go for more.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

i have 2 supers on but they are only working the frames which are in the middle. they dont even touch the outside ones on each side.

i dont think its a matter of space but they are using the comb to bridge between the frames so they can travel vertically in an eaiser manner.

i dont see any mites so i will just put the frame back in untouched.
    NH Beekeeper

>i have 2 supers on but they are only working the frames which are in the middle. they dont even touch the outside ones on each side.

Put the empty outside frames on either side of the middle frame and move the rest out or the two replaced ones to the outside.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam