Alabama

170K views 219 replies 58 participants last post by  R_V 
#1 ·
March 24th '08 3 swarms
March 26th '08 1 swarm
March 28th '08 1 swarm

#131 ·
Re: Please Post your Swarm Dates?

A coworker called me on July 13 and had a swarm in a tree at his church. I got it and moved them to the farm. About 2-3 pounds. Put them in a swarm box overnight but all I had was new frames. Moved them to a box this morning and they already had a good frosty covering of wax on the four frames. Added a frame of capped honey and brood so maybe they will stay. Shelby County.

#132 ·

My original hive swarmed for the second time this year on 7/12/17. The remaining bees look robust and good enough in numbers to survive and thrive. I didn't catch this swarm (yet--I put out a box with some prepared attractant), so they may have gotten away.

#134 ·

8/22/17
Blountsville, AL

Due to the time of year, I suspect these absconded due to SHB or Wax Moth pressure. 4-5 frames of bees. They were already drawing comb on Acorn foundation an hour after hiving them when I opened the hive to put a frame of open brood in. Gonna try to get them on at least 10 frames of drawn comb before fall shutdown.

#136 ·

8/31/17
Flat Rock

Returned from vacation and found a small (2 frames) swarm sheltered under a hive that didn't swarm. It doesn't appear that they came from any of my 5 hives. Found eggs in there today. Also gave them a frame of mature capped brood.

#140 ·
Groundhwg: I split them all this weekend. Did not see any QCs, but had tons of brood and drones. Maybe I am too early. I never know. I have been seeing drones since end of January. I didn't see them until mid-February in 2017. It all looks about 2 weeks earlier this year. I had Queen cells on March 3 in 2017.

#141 ·
Going to be doing some splits tomorrow on some of my friends hives near Echo, AL. He was in a few hives last week and saw a few drones and lots of capped drone cells.

Also just received this email from the head of our beekeeping club in Dothan, AL. he was asking if anyone want to tackle a cutout on a new swarm:

Larry just called. A swarm of bees has just landed on the side of his house and moved into the roof overhang (soffit).

#147 ·

March 23, 2018
Dale County, SE Alabama
2 hives swarmed today. One pitched in grapes vines, chest high, about a kickball size swarm. Getting box to try and get them and in less than 10 minutes they left, circled the top of the house and departed for parts unknown southwest.

Second one is right above the hives about 35 feet up in an oak tree. Have been there since about 1PM, football size swarm, still waiting for the scouts to head out, I guess. Have three swarm traps out in area but none of the bees seem to want one as a new home.