Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Startup Company Making "Super Bees"

4K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  Pchristu 
#1 ·
#12 ·
Two of the principles in the BeeFlow startup published this paper on Oct 1, 2019.

Effect of Abscisic Acid (ABA) Combined with Two Different Beekeeping Nutritional Strategies to Confront Overwintering: Studies on Honey Bees’ Population Dynamics and Nosemosis

Full text can be downloaded at: https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/10/10/329

The start up has deep pocket Silicon Valley seed money, and I think the best way to understand the PR that is spreading is that it is a "story" to empty the pockets of Silicon Valley investors.

Corporate info here:http://www.beeflow.co/en/

#18 ·
Two of the principles in the BeeFlow startup published this paper on Oct 1, 2019.

Effect of Abscisic Acid (ABA) Combined with Two Different Beekeeping Nutritional Strategies to Confront Overwintering: Studies on Honey Bees’ Population Dynamics and Nosemosis

Full text can be downloaded at: https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/10/10/329
Again, thanks for the link - appreciated.

This morning I've had a chance to look at that paper and ... well, it looks like there is 'something' to this ABA saga - but I'm not convinced (yet) that's it's anything other than a man-made 'something else to worry about' issue.

This is how the paper starts off:
"During the past years, our group has focused on the role that abscisic acid (ABA), a natural component that is present in nectar, honey, and pollen [39,40] as well in honey bees [39,41] plays an important role in bees’ health. ABA is a sesquiterpenoid hormone that play important roles, mainly in higher plants, in many cellular processes including seed development, dormancy, germination, vegetative growth, and environmental stress responses [42]."
So I duly followed-up on those references.
[42] is a paper concerned exclusively with plant biosynthesis - so nothing of relevance there.

[40] is a paper which describes the detection of exceptionally high levels of both isomers of ABA, plus a derivative of those acids within Strawberry Tree Honey (a honey from the Mediterranean, principally Sardinia), the high levels of which could be used as an assay marker to identify this particular honey amongst others. Other than that, not very informative.

[39] is more enlightening, but now we come across some conflicting statements:
"The results show that ct-ABA is added to the honey mainly from nectar, honeydew and pollen, and not by the bee itself. Possibly the bee might be responsible for conversion of ct- into tt-ABA, since honey contains rather more tt-ABA than does the nectar." [...] "It is proposed that the ratio of ct- to tt-ABA content of honey depends on the extent of manipulation by the bees in converting nectar into honey, which in turn reflects upon nectar water content and environmental conditions."
[41]
"The primary food of adult honey bees (Apis mellifera) is honey prepared by bees from nectar, provided by plants in order to stimulate the bee’s pollination service. Nectar consists of carbohydrates, amino acids and water, as well as other minor compounds whose proportion varies among plant species and whose biological implications in the honey bee physiology require intense research."
Pollen is therefore being ignored in the above as a bee 'food', despite the pollen-grain coat being rich in ABA - which of course is exactly where the plant requires it for subsequent seed development.

"This [the observation that newly emerged workers had 7x the level of ABA (isomer not specified) found in L5 larvae - LJ] strongly suggests an endogenous capacity of bees to generate ABA. In supporting this suggestion, honey bees possess the genetic information required for the indirect ABA biosynthesis that is found in plants ..."
This last paragraph is perhaps the most intriguing of anything I've thus far read about 'ABA and bees' - BUT - if ABA is freely available in the pollen (and as claimed, in the nectar) of plants, and if indeed the honey bee has the potential to synthesise it's own ABA, then why on Earth do we need to think in terms of supplying it as a food supplement ? All we need to do as beekeepers is to leave a reasonable amount of honey behind during harvesting, and - if you really must - provide pollen patties made from real pollen and not an artificial substitute.

LJ

#13 ·
Thanks for the link - I'll look that up tonight. Very curious - Abscisic Acid (ABA) - is a plant hormone, and afaik didn't exist in animals, and wouldn't therefore have any function outside of the plant. Oh well ...
LJ

#23 ·
The ABA used in the study was purchased from a chemical company in China. The amount used per treatment was 50uM (an itty-bitty bit, for the non-scientific). My guess is that the profit will be in selling it blended with a “propietary blend” of other nutrients, and that, if truly useful, the average beekeeper will his own DIY concoction, vis-a-vis HBH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.