Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Screened Bottom Boards

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  lisascenic 
#1 ·
All my hives have SBB's. Should I still give some ventilation up top? It does get above 100 but have a lot of wind.

#5 ·
I would do it and give them ventilation. I doubt that it would hurt as long as there is no chance of moisture entering the hive because of it. It is a reversible step. By the way, we love our SBBs and have used them for years. We also use single 4" diameter pipe stands and like them as it keeps the ants and critters in check. Take care and have fun

#7 ·
Re: Screened Bottom Boards/ New Beek ?

glad I found this thread, b/c when I was inspecting yesterday (1st hive, just added the 2nd box) I noticed my bottom board appears to be solid white plastic, like choroplast. Wondering if I am supposed to replace this with a SBB? and how do I do this now that my population is really growing, just remove theplastic and slide in the screen?

#8 ·
I bought 2 top screens to move my bees when i transferred them from nucs to my equipment. Come to find out they are also used as screened inner cover. So that's what my hives will be using this summer along with the SBB. I'm thinking this will help in evaporating the moisture out of honey. Will probably go with wooden inner cover in Fall, but staying with the SBB all year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.