Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hive Placement Question

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  enjambres 
#1 ·
Ok, so my SO (bless his heart), and the boys placed the hive stand on the wrong side of the bee yard... Instead of kind of hanging out over the edge facing the creek (the left side of the pic) they put it toward the back, with very little room "behind" the stand to work the hive. On the right side of the photo, is a 15' or so hill that is almost straight up. Will I be ok placing the hive towards the hill rather than out into the open area?
Trail Nature reserve Wilderness Natural environment Woodland

See less See more
#3 ·
Although it is generally impossible in my own yard, I prefer working bees from the side rather than the back.

If you find you prefer the back, you can easily scootch the whole thing forward enough to give yourself elbow room back there. Bees move short distances like that, keeping the same orientation, extremely easily. Lift the boxes off to a temp stand - move the base and re-stack. They'll be back to normal before you get back to your house.

Enj.

#4 ·
Hopefully this is better. I guess all I really need to know is if it would be ok to face the hive towards where my son is bent over, so that way no one is walking into the flight path. They will have to fly up and then out. Is there a certain amount of clearance from the front of the hive that I need to have? I would like to work it from where the other two are standing if possible.
Soil Trail Tree Woodland Mud

#7 ·
The only downside that I see is that you will limit the pleasure you might have gotten by being able to watch the entrance area head-on. I spend a lot of time in a lawn chair with my feet up on the stand next to the hive, just watching them or taking a nap. I would really miss that if the access was limited.

If the front/entrance of the hive faces south or southeast and gets early sun, the bees will got out to forage earlier. In general it's also important to not have bees in the shade because that increases problems with small hive beetles, which in TN can be a really big deal. Bees do better in full sun.

Enj.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.