I guess you could say I am overwhelmed

I guess you could say I am overwhelmed

1. UnbakedPegga
    UnbakedPegga
    I had bees last summer which swarmed, then were robbed and I lost the hive altogether. My mentor moved out of state. I decided to try one more time on my own. I only have 1 hive. I got a pkg of bees 5 days ago. I put the queen cage inside 2 frames in the middle of the hive, horizontally, screen facing outward. I got a marked queen and when I looked in the cage I thought I saw her with a silver mark on her back. But found out she was marked with white. I saw at least 2 bees moving around in the cage. Just now I opened the hive for the 1st time and the cage was empty and there was lots of burr comb. I cut it away and tried to get the hive closed up as quick as I could because they were agitated. I did not look for the queen. Should I have looked for her? Is there a limit on how little my before you check for brood? And there is also a drone frame in this hive. They are already drawing it out. Are drone frames ok or no? I just don't want to mess things up before I even get started good
  2. CLSranch
    CLSranch
    From a package she may have to go and mate before laying any eggs. Within a week I would think there should be eggs in a frame. I'm also new this is my thoughts after research not experience. Drone frame should be fine. And if the other bee in the queen cage wasn't attacking the queen she should be fine. Even burr comb means they are building comb and starting to develop which they wouldn't do well, without a queen or accepting the one from the cage.
  3. CLSranch
    CLSranch
    From a package she may have to go and mate before laying any eggs. Within a week I would think there should be eggs in a frame. I'm also new this is my thoughts after research not experience. Drone frame should be fine. And if the other bee in the queen cage wasn't attacking the queen she should be fine. Even burr comb means they are building comb and starting to develop which they wouldn't do well, without a queen or accepting the one from the cage.
  4. UnbakedPegga
    UnbakedPegga
    She is a mated queen