Hive Box Choices

Hive Box Choices

1. BizEBeez
    BizEBeez
    While searching the plethora of beekeeping supply stores, I notice that several have up to 3 grades of wood to choose from. I'm inclined to go with the basic, lowest standard since I'll be painting them and figuring that will help to weather proof them. What are others thoughts on the different grades, if you have any experience with them? Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing some feedback.

Mark
    Northern Idaho
  2. JWPalmer
    JWPalmer
    Hey Mark, yoi probably should repost this question in the equipment and hardware forum. To answer your question, I had always purchased "select" grade until recently. Now I am buying "commercial" grade and find the wood is still better quality than anything I can buy at the big box stores. Save a few dollars and get commercial. Put on a good coat of oil based primer and the knots won't bleed through.
  3. RMFF
    RMFF
    Hey Mark, I intern with Golden Prairie Honey Farms and the grades deal with the quality of wood and how long the hive is projected to last. We use commercial grade and it does great as JWPalmer said in his reply post. I have seen and worked with select and commercial grades. I personally have purchased commercial grade for my hives. What grade did you choose?