Setting up hives near a school?

Setting up hives near a school?

1. Olibeeya
    Olibeeya
    Hello all,
    This is my first post, so let me start by saying, HELLO! I've been looking for the perfect place to set up my hive (I live in an apartment, so that's out of the question), and someone suggested I look at community gardens. There are quite a few near me, and I've been in talks with one. The only hiccup is that most of these gardens work with elementary schools, and are therefore hesitant about letting me prop up a hive there. Is it a bad idea to set up a hive that is right by an elementary school? The children do come into the garden where my hive would be located from time to time, so I'd imagine they'd get relatively close to it (20 ft or so). Does anyone have experience with this?

The school has to approve everything, and they are currently trying to do so. The keeper of the garden and someone on the school board really want the hive there, but I don't want to endanger any kiddos or be held liable if something were to happen...

Please advise!
  2. Hogback Honey
    Hogback Honey
    I don't know about that, I don't think I'd do it, especially now a days. Especially in the sue happy State of California.