Country Ham [Archive] - Beesource Beekeeping Forums

View Full Version : Country Ham

Vance G
03-01-2019, 08:47 AM
If I stipulate that honey could be used in the recipe, can we discuss making country hams? Since it is March and temperatures are still regularly below zero F my cabin fever has me thinking. Under how cold a condition can country hams be made? I read where core temperatures should stay between 30-35 degrees and in my latitude, we go from beautiful balmy freezing nights and seventies days to average temps in the twenties and lower in a very short time. Anyone familiar with the process will know what my question concerns. What ham curing takes place with the ham frozen hard as a brick?

AHudd
03-01-2019, 12:43 PM
A friend of mine gave me a smoked ham that was glazed with honey and brown sugar while still hot. The honey and Brown sugar melted into every pore. It was delicious.

Alex

Robin_Klein
03-31-2019, 07:13 AM
A friend of mine gave me a smoked ham that was glazed with honey and brown sugar while still hot. The honey and Brown sugar melted into every pore. It was delicious.

Alex

I tried doing it the same way and it was fantastic!

Steve in PA
03-31-2019, 08:41 AM
I would have no issue substituting honey for molasses in this recipe. It is from Charcuterie by Ruhlman. All the recipes I have made from that book are excellent.