Next to a neighborhood [Archive] - Beesource Beekeeping Forums

View Full Version : Next to a neighborhood

derekt2828
01-17-2019, 05:01 PM
Hi!

So I’ve got an apiary that back directly up to a newly developed neighborhood. 20 hives in all. Is this going to a be an issue I should start taking care of now before people move in? What should I do?

Gino45
01-17-2019, 11:58 PM
Hi!

So Iíve got an apiary that back directly up to a newly developed neighborhood. 20 hives in all. Is this going to a be an issue I should start taking care of now before people move in? What should I do?

Though the public is more tolerant of bees these days, the best thing to do is hide the bees. Out of sight, out of mind applies here.

It only takes one complainer to get you out. Also a barrier that the bees have to fly over like a high fence or hedge improves your chances.

It's probably a little late to apply any of this; however, good luck in your endeavor.

GregV
01-18-2019, 10:11 AM
Well, it depends.
You very well have the rights to grand-fathering your apiary since you are already there.
Or maybe you must not be keeping the bees at all - per your local regulations.

You need to be asking these questions asap of your local administration (city, town, village) - not on this board.

Jadeguppy
01-18-2019, 01:52 PM
Dere, please add at least the state and county you are in to your information. As mentioned, you need to find out what the local laws are. A high privacy fence is a good idea to help keep them out of the neighbors yard. Part of this will also depend on how deep the lots are.