Battery size for VarroVap? [Archive] - Beesource Beekeeping Forums

View Full Version : Battery size for VarroVap?

09-23-2017, 06:15 AM
I just got the VarroVap (I only have 2 hives and no need for a super type Vaporizer) after 2 uses I noticed the wire coating had bubbled up and in some places there were bare wires showing. Like there were mini shorts in the wire causing heating and the melting of the insulation. I am using a lawn mower battery (330cca 12 v) and heating the unit up for 3 minutes (the test run time). I have taken great care to make sure the wires had not come into contact with the hot unit. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time,
Todd Griese

09-23-2017, 06:33 AM
Don't know the problem, but if you'll return, I'll gladly replace the unit.

The maximum time is 2.5 minutes. If you leave it connected much longer, what you described will occur.

09-23-2017, 01:58 PM
Hmmm....the test (put in amount, hook up and time) to see what the neccessary time frame to vap the dose. I guess if it was user error, I cant hold you responsible. Thank you for such a quick reply. I guess I was asking if I was doing something wrong, not saying it was a bad product.

Rader Sidetrack
09-23-2017, 03:37 PM
I don't know how you used the device, of course, but if there was power applied to the vaporizer after the oxalic acid was already vaporized, the unit will get hotter than it was when actually vaporizing, and that could lead to damaging the wire covering.

The process of boiling off the oxalic acid has the effect of cooling the device, and once the acid is gone, so is the cooling effect.

(I have an electric egg steamer/boiler and the same effect happens there. :) While the few tablespoons of water is boiling and making steam, the temperature of the device water pan is more or less 212 degrees F. It can't go higher until all the water is turned to steam, and once that happens the device detects that higher pan temperature and sets off a "Done" buzzer.)

09-23-2017, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all the input guys, I do appreciate it. When the unit was removed from the hive, there was a a bit of liquid smoking. But I don't think we ever ran it "Dry". I guess there is a learning curve to it all. I just put electrical tape over the bad spots and will consider rewiring it if it come to that (I doubt it would to hard to find the parts clips, wire, connectors locally) Thank you all again.