Questions & Comments on the new ProVap Vaporizer [Archive] - Beesource Beekeeping Forums

View Full Version : Questions & Comments on the new ProVap Vaporizer

snl
11-16-2016, 02:38 PM
I'd appreciate it after viewing the introduction thread on the New ProVap Vaporizer, that you'd post any questions and comments here as that thread is closed to posting.

Thanks!

Larry

enjambres
11-16-2016, 05:21 PM
You know that I want to know if it will handle four and five box high stacks in a single burn?

Nancy

snl
11-16-2016, 05:28 PM
Nancy, it sure can. I had it made just for you! ;)

AstroZomBEE
11-17-2016, 05:23 AM
As a commercial beekeeper running the larger vmVaporizer, i have to say this looks like a perfect mid sized vaporizer. Not as fast as the one i use but definitely efficient, simple, and price tag friendly. Perfect for someone with more than a handful of hives looking to treat with oxalic in a timely manner.

Lauri
11-17-2016, 08:18 AM
Tried to message you Larry. Your inbox is full. Put me down for one please.
I'm taking off to late buck for a couple days, send me a invoice please and will settle up when I get back

[email protected] is my regular email

Thank you Sir, look forward to trying it! I have some tall hives as well and will take some video of treatment and results. I'll be running it off a generator for the most part.

mahobee
12-10-2016, 05:37 PM
What happened?

I'm told limited quantities within a month and approximately $485

snl
12-10-2016, 08:48 PM
What happened?
I can't keep them in stock long enough to place on the website. With the sales here, sales at the meetings I've attended and just word of mouth, I can't keep them in stock.
Again, if you're serious about purchasing, please PM me.

Cloverdale
12-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Tried to message you Larry. Your inbox is full. Put me down for one please.
I'm taking off to late buck for a couple days, send me a invoice please and will settle up when I get back

[email protected] is my regular email

Thank you Sir, look forward to trying it! I have some tall hives as well and will take some video of treatment and results. I'll be running it off a generator for the most part.

Lauri did a good video, thanks.

snl
12-22-2016, 03:12 PM
Have another shipment arriving tomorrow but still won't have enough stock to place them on my website. With sales here, sales at the meetings I'm attending and distributor purchases. I can't keep them in stock.

Again, if you're serious about purchasing, please PM me.

Cloverdale
12-22-2016, 03:49 PM
I am very happy with the first one I purchased from you as of now...����

snl
12-30-2016, 08:16 AM
I now have the ProVap110 listed on my website OxaVap.com. You can readily purchase there. Any questions or comments regarding the ProVap110, please post them here and I'll answer as appropriate.

Thanks to all that have purchased!!

snl
01-24-2017, 09:02 AM
From a satisfied user:

Hello Larry, just wanted to give you some feedback on the Pro Vap 110. This is the third dispenser I have purchased from you. The first two being the heavy duty Varrox vaporizer for $165.00, which worked fine, but took a little time using them. The third one I stepped up and purchased the Pro-Vap 110 for $485.00.
I love it! I sail through the task with ease. I am in and out of the bee yard in no time. Couldn’t be more satisfied!
Thanks again,
Robert

Ian
01-24-2017, 11:24 AM
What kind of endorsement did Randy Give you?

snl
01-24-2017, 02:52 PM
What kind of endorsement did Randy Give you?

Ian, I've not sent the ProVap to Randy, perhaps I should.

Ian
01-24-2017, 02:59 PM
Whats your tag line refer to?
Must be another unit

snl
01-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Whats your tag line refer to?
Must be another unit

Yes, the Varrox

Ian
01-24-2017, 04:46 PM
How many consecutive treatments have you had this device do?
Will it Vaporize all day, all week ?

Eddie Honey
01-24-2017, 04:55 PM
In the video, what power source is being used, i.e. inverter hooked to car battery, extension cord plugged into 110 outlet, generator? -Thanks!

In the video, it is an extension cord connected to a generator.

snl
01-24-2017, 05:00 PM
How many consecutive treatments have you had this device do?
Will it Vaporize all day, all week ?

We've done yards with 240 hives, stopped to move to another yard and did that one as well. Does that constitute all day?.... Well that day it did for me!
Never tried all week as I ran out of hives to treat.

Ian
01-24-2017, 05:03 PM
We've done yards with 240 hives, stopped to move to another yard and did that one as well. Does that constitute all day?.... Well that day it did for me!
Never tried all week as I ran out of hives to treat.

How many times did you need to stop treatments to clean out the pipe or heat bowl throughout those 240 hives ?

I keep a pipe cleaner handy it case dirt, wax on ??? gets in the stem, but I've not had to clean the stem or bowl due OA buildup. I clean it out after usage by running warm water thru it, that's all.

Ian
01-24-2017, 05:23 PM
That's weird
Looks like Larry has replied within my post lol

snl
01-24-2017, 05:32 PM
That's weird
Looks like Larry has replied within my post lol

Don't drink and post!

Ian
01-24-2017, 05:35 PM
How many times did you need to stop treatments to clean out the pipe or heat bowl throughout those 240 hives ?

I keep a pipe cleaner handy it case dirt, wax on ??? gets in the stem, but I've not had to clean the stem or bowl due OA buildup. I clean it out after usage by running warm water thru it, that's all.

Either I asked a question and answered myself...yes I do have a nice glass of Charoge in hand........ ;)
Or Larry has hacked my BS account ? Lol

shinbone
01-25-2017, 09:23 AM
Lauri did a good video, thanks.

Can someone please provide a link to Lauri's video?

snl
01-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Can someone please provide a link to Lauri's video?

Here you go......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkYC1XveCxU

Also, look under "Customer Service" for additional pics

shinbone
01-25-2017, 10:23 AM
Thanks! There is no doubt that OAV is safe for the bees and highly effective against mites. We just need a way to easily apply it. This looks like a good tool for us small scale beekeepers to quickly put the hurt on mites.

And, as usual, Lauri provides good visual documentation of her methods

snl
01-30-2017, 08:27 AM
From Another satisfied customer: Shinebone of BS.

Got up to about 60F today here in Denver. I took advantage of the warm temps to do an OAV of my 10 hives with my new Provap 110, and to open the hives to check for dead-outs and spotcheck to maybe see brood.

I checked two hives for brood, and they are brood'n up! I scratched open a few capped cells, and based on the development of the larva, I estimate egg laying started about 10 days ago, i.e. January 19.

Also, the Provap worked great! http://oxavap.com/

shinbone
01-30-2017, 09:01 AM
From Another satisfied customer: Shinebone of BS.

Got up to about 60F today here in Denver. I took advantage of the warm temps to do an OAV of my 10 hives with my new Provap 110, . . . the Provap worked great! http://oxavap.com/

Just to flesh-out my brief comments from above:

I've got 10 hives in my backyard apiary. I saw the videos and comments on the Provap, and it looked it would solve my only complaint about the Varrox, which was it was slow to use. Looking at my local weather forecast, I saw a handful of days above 50F predicted for the next week, and decided to order the Provap and do a mid-Winter OAV of my hives. This because I had not done my usual late Fall OAV due to time constraints. I placed my order and SNL shipped the same day. Since I was trying to hit an imminent weather window, the quick shipping by SNL was appreciated. I also ordered organic acid filter cartridges for my facemask ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YSRW0E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ), and picked up a 1/4" oak dowel from the local hardware store.

I run all mediums, and my winter configuration is 3 medium boxes. I drilled a 1/4" hole in the middle of the top box on the back of each hive, and plugged the hole with a 2.5" length of 1/4" dowel. I ran an extension cord to my apiary and operated the Provap according to instructions. I fired up my smoker to use as a wind direction indicator. I did a test run where I filled the top cap with 1/2 teaspoon of OA, inserted the cap into the Provap with the Provap inverted, and then righted the Provap and let it discharge the OAV into the air so I could see how much vapor it produced and for how long. I watched the temperature read out during the process.

The Provap worked great and a big dense cloud of OAV vigorously issued from the nozzle. During operation, righting the Provap causes the OA in the cap to fall into the heated bowl, and converting the OA powder into OA vapor absorbs heat energy. This shows up as the bowl temp falling, and then starting to climb again once all the OA has been vaporized. It is actually nice that you can monitor the vaporizing process via the temp readout, where the Varrox is operated blind. The Provap was mostly done producing vapor once the temperature readout started to rise. It took about 20-30 seconds to vaporize all the OA from the cup.

I next did the same procedure to a hive where I inserted the Provap nozzle into the 1/4" hole of a hive before righting the unit. I essentially did what Lauri does in her video of using the Provap [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkYC1XveCxU ] (Lauri rights the Provap before inserting so viewers can see how much OAV the unit produces, where I inserted the Provap into the hive before righting), as well as what is shown in the Provap-produced video [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYl63Akou3E ]. I had plugged the hive entrances with a wadded up paper towel. Within about 10 seconds, I could see OA vapor "leaking" out of the seams of the hive. Based on how much vapor the Provap had produced in my test run, and seeing the vapor leak out of the hive, I am confident that the OA vapor flooded the entire hive. This took about 30 seconds. Once inserted and righted, the Provap operates hands-free, and while the hive was being OAV'ed, I was scooping the next charge of OA into the second cap for the next hive. Since I was working at the back of the hive, I didn't even need to wear my bee suit. I was thankful I had on the face mask, though. It was all super easy and fast.

I've got a day job and other time consuming projects, so, for me, time is my main bottle neck for working my hives. The Provap works much faster than the Varrox (although, the Varrox is still an effective unit, it is just slow), and so is a big help for me.

I treated on Sunday, and will check mite drops on Wednesday. I will post photos of my sticky boards so people can see for themselves the resulting mite drops.

deerslayer8153
01-30-2017, 12:51 PM
Just curious, the description on the website say drill hole in bottom brood box. Lauri is putting it in the top.
Does it matter?

shinbone
01-30-2017, 01:08 PM
Just curious, the description on the website say drill hole in bottom brood box. Lauri is putting it in the top.
Does it matter?

Good question, and I don't have any special insight into the answer. However, based on another of Lauri's videos, I elected to apply the OAV near the top of the hive because it seems that, at least in cooler weather, the OAV will tend to accumulate near the bottom of the hive. This seemed like a good way to start based on the evidence at hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ22fhs27oo

snl
01-30-2017, 01:54 PM
Does it matter?
Lauri does not want to drill a hole in her equipment as in the damp, wet environment, she states it will quickly rot. As to vapping from the top down, again Lauri was vapping in a cold, damp climate and the vapors were dropping, so she vaporized from the top down. Normally in temps 60 and above, I've found the vapors go all throughout the hive.

Ian
02-08-2017, 09:58 PM
http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y489/IanSteppler/IMG_2890_zps2tykkhag.jpg (http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/IanSteppler/media/IMG_2890_zps2tykkhag.jpg.html)

Got my ProVap unit today
Going to blast a few douses tomorrow to see how it works

Ian
02-09-2017, 06:07 PM
worked good , it really impressed me
Next test will be a few thousand treatments

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=5v2XdgUwnCE

mahobee
02-10-2017, 07:13 AM
I have a couple of practical questions:
1) If you drill a hole in your box, do you plug it with a dowel when you're done? Does the drilling, plugging, unplugging soak up the time savings that people like Shinbone (and me) are looking for?
2) how long do you keep the front entrance closed?
3) Do you need a heavier duty mask than with the standard Varrox?
4) what kind of power source do you need? I have a Sears 1150 amp charger that I use for Varrox. I don't want to shlep around a large generator (or buy one for that matter). Will my portable power 1150 be enough to operate the ProVap?
5) Does it matter what kind of Oxalic Acid you use?

Thanks

Rader Sidetrack
02-10-2017, 07:21 AM
The ProVap operates on household AC current at 115 volts. A portable 'jump pack' that outputs 12 volts DC (including the Sears model mentioned above) is not suitable to run the ProVap.

It is possible to run an inverter to convert 12 volts DC to 115 volts AC, but that inverter would be best powered by a running engine (car, truck, generator, etc). Of course, if you have a generator that outputs 115 volts AC, then there wouldn't be much point to a separate inverter.

mahobee
02-10-2017, 07:30 AM
the portable pack I have has an inverter, rated at 400 watts. I don't know if that's enough.

snl
02-10-2017, 07:32 AM
1) If you drill a hole in your box, do you plug it with a dowel when you're done? Does the drilling, plugging, unplugging soak up the time savings that people like Shinbone (and me) are looking for?
The bees will propolize any hole you'll drill. However, there is no reason you can't do it from the front. Just take a paint stick, cut it to length, drill a hole in it for the vaporizer stem and you have an effective vapor block.

It is recommended, 10 minutes. It is the vapors that kill the mites. Letting the vapors out too soon defeats benefits of the OA

Not knowing which one you have it is difficult to answer. For the ProVap, you'll be working in a heavy OAV environment. I'd use the best.
4) what kind of power source do you need? I have a Sears 1150 amp charger that I use for Varrox. I don't want to shlep around a large generator (or buy
one for that matter). Will my portable power 1150 be enough to operate the ProVap?
An inexpensive inverter (less than $25) will power the unit. It's 250w, 2.2 amp.
Make sure the purity is greater than 95% and you're fine. Savogran (wood bleach) is 99.7% pure.

Ian
02-10-2017, 07:36 AM
>>time savings that people like Shinbone (and me) are looking for?<<

Time savings is important. Proper set up accomplishes that. I'd argue beekeepers will find a way to put the time in if it means good mite control.

Guys with thriving hives are kept busy, guys with dead hives have the time to drink coffee

shinbone
02-10-2017, 07:39 AM
I have a couple of practical questions:
4) what kind of power source do you need? I have a Sears 1150 amp charger that I use for Varrox. I don't want to shlep around a large generator (or buy one for that matter). Will my portable power 1150 be enough to operate the ProVap?

Thanks

1) I drilled a 1/4" hole into the back of my top box, near the middle, just above the handle. I plug it with a 1/4" oak dowel. The plug passes entirely though the hole to protrude slightly into the hive to hopefully minimize the amount of propilis the bees apply to the area. I've only done one OAV treatment with this method, so far, but the time loss pulling/reinserting the plug is quite minimal. We'll see how things evolve as the bees propilize around the plug.

2) 10 minutes

3) I didn't use a mask when using the Varrox because I always stood 20' upwind during OAV application. Since I stand much closer to the hive while OAVing with the ProVap, I now use a 3M face mask with an organic acid filter cartridge. This has worked well, so far.

4) My hives are in my backyard, so I run an extension cord to my hives from a standard 110VAC wall plug. The ProVap does require 110 VAC, unlike the Varrox which ran on 12 VDC.

5) I bought a bag of OA from Brushy Mountain just to be sure I was in 100% compliance with any pesticide regs that might apply. I think it is the same stuff as the typical wood bleach available from Ace Hardware, but has labeling appropriate for using the OA in bee hives, i.e. application instructions, where the wood bleach does not. A technicality, to be sure, but it is easy enough to comply with so I do.

Ian
02-10-2017, 07:51 AM
The reason I like this ProVap is it allows exact treatment doses, controlled burn , takes 30 seconds, light weight, cheap, and when you get it looks well designed and durable

snl
02-10-2017, 07:53 AM
the portable pack I have has an inverter, rated at 400 watts. I don't know if that's enough.

The one I use is rated for 400w, 800 peak. It works for me............

snl
02-10-2017, 07:56 AM
The reason I like this ProVap is it allows exact treatment doses, controlled burn , takes 30 seconds, light weight, cheap, and when you get it looks well designed and durable

The reason that Ian's burn was 30 seconds (vs 20) is that he used 4 grams in his burn, rather than the standard 2 grams (one per brood chamber).

Lauri
02-10-2017, 08:00 AM
My set up:

My method, through top entrance. No drilling:

My OA:

https://www.amazon.com/Oxalic-Acid-Dafna-Brand-resealable/dp/B00RP4S394/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1486738745&sr=8-18&keywords=oxalic+acid

My mask:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GULTRC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rader Sidetrack
02-10-2017, 08:00 AM
The one I use is rated for 400w, 800 peak. It works for me............

How many treatments (with the ProVap) can you get from that inverter/pack before it needs recharging?

Lauri
02-10-2017, 08:05 AM
I see the brand I had ordered preciously is sold out. Other brands available though.

Ian
02-10-2017, 08:10 AM
Www.beemaid.com

snl
02-10-2017, 08:10 AM
How many treatments (with the ProVap) can you get from that inverter/pack before it needs recharging?

Rader, the inverter is attached to the battery on a continuously running vehicle, it holds no charge of its own. It just converts the DC to AC.

Rader Sidetrack
02-10-2017, 08:22 AM
Yes, the drawback to a portable 12 volt portable battery pack that also has an AC inverter is limited run time.

The 12 volt vaporizers typically draw in the range of 160 watts, the ProVap is 250 watts (plus some overhead watts consumed by the inverter itself). So one might get around half the runtime using an battery/inverter powered ProVap compared to a 12 volt vaporizer powered by that same battery pack. That is why I suggested that an inverter be used with a running engine.

snl
02-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Another satisfied BeeSource customer!

Picked one of these up from Mann Lake a few weeks ago. I remember seeing a video of one about a year ago and couldnt find it again, then stumbled into it. This thing is absolutely awesome!!!!! I was REALLY p------d off with the lega and was planning on using multiple varrox vaporizers at a time this year. Not anymore

A syrup pump and this provap 110 is really going to help me expand my beekeeping operation with the limited free time I have. I suppose ill be able to manage 1/3 more hives with these tools

snl
03-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Yet another satisfied customer!

I purchased the vaporizer and used it for the first time yesterday. Nice product, works well and simple to use and fast!

Thx

Shane Harris
www.harrishoneybees.com (http://www.harrishoneybees.com)

snl
03-18-2017, 07:16 AM
Still another satisfied customer!

I used to use a Varrox to OAV my 10 hives. It was indeed relatively time consuming because the unit had to be in each hive for upwards of 5 minutes, and then had to cool down before the next application. It would take a couples of hours to get all the gear organized and OAV my 10 hives. Still, the OAV was super effective against the mites and didn't harm the bees.

However, for me, time is the great bottleneck, and so, even though I wouldn't call it cheap, I bought a Provap because it looked much faster. And, it is. I can OAV my 10 hives in something like 15 minutes. OAVing is now super easy. And I still enjoy the great effectivity against mites of OAV. Time the application with a broodless period and the hive is relatively mite-free for a long time with a single application.

funwithbees
04-05-2017, 10:24 AM
Hi Larry,
I just used my Provap 110 for the 1st time on newly hived packages. great product! It took longer to plug entrances etc than it did to vaporize. Has anyone trialed the efficiency of leaving the entrances open and using a larger dose of OA, similar to what they do with the VM machine?
Nick

snl
04-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Has anyone trialed the efficiency of leaving the entrances open and using a larger dose of OA, similar to what they do with the VM machine? Nick

Hi Nick,
I don't know if anyone has good efficacy of doing larger doses and leaving the entrances open. Personally, I would not do so. I like to know the exact dose that I'm putting (and it's staying) into the hive.

snl
04-15-2017, 07:55 AM
Yet another satisfied customer!

Hi Larry, received ProVap on 4/10. Thanks for the quick shipment. Works as advertised.
Thanks again,
A. H.

e-spice
05-24-2017, 05:56 AM
Hi snl,

I have a couple questions. Is there a warranty for it? Can you get parts for it?

Thanks.

Tenbears
05-24-2017, 06:10 AM
This is the best beekeeping tool I have In my kit. Low mite numbers make happy healthy bees that produce ample honey and survive the winter! this tool Makes keeping my hives that way a breeze. Thanks Larry.

I Give the Provap 110 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

snl
05-24-2017, 06:13 AM
Hi snl,

I have a couple questions. Is there a warranty for it? Can you get parts for it?

Thanks.
It is very difficult to warrant a commercial item as you don't know how crews will mistreat it (throwing it in back of trucks, leaving it out in weather etc). I will work with you on any problems. As to replacement parts, you betcha.

dynemd
06-06-2017, 02:20 AM
I did a little test of my ProVap running off my Jump starter with a 22Ah (22 amp hours) battery https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-PSJ-2212-ProSeries-Starter-Portable/dp/B000N4UQL6/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1496734530&sr=1-3&keywords=schumacher+jump+starter and my 750 watt inverter https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-XI75DU-Digital-Display-Inverter/dp/B004EIBY36/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1496734665&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=schumacher+X175DU
Initially using the jump starters own readout showing per cent remaining power I treated 5 hives and it showed 95% remaining, and after 10 hives it showed 92% remaining power. I think this is just an estimate so I performed some time measurements and calculations. The wattage of my device per my Inverter digital readout is 287 watts, so calculated amperage is 23.9 amps at 12 volts (or 2.39 amps at 120 volts). So 22Ah Battery would provide 55 minutes of power at 23.9 amps to drain the battery completely. Most batteries last longest with a lesser DOD (depth of discharge) a shallow cycle lead acid battery will last about 500 cycles with a DOD of 50% and over 1200 cycles at a DOD of 30%. 50% DOD would be 27 minutes of operation and 30% would be 16.5 minutes. So I timed how much each treatment would require and how much time to warm up the device initially. Warm up required 3 minutes and 50 seconds and each treatment took 1 minute and 5 seconds to fully cycle back up to operating temperature. So for 16.5 minutes of operating time (30% DOD) my battery (22Ah) would last one warm up and 10.85 treatments, leaving 70% left of battery power. Assuming a 50% DOD that would power one warm up and 21 treatments.
A deep cycle battery will last over 1,000 cycles at a DOD of 50% or a 44AH battery would output double the power and time of operation. My 22AH jump starter weighs 26 lbs., the 44AH model weighs 45 lbs.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N4WGN2/ref=psdc_318336011_t3_B000N4UQL6
Bottom line the ProVap works great using a manageable portable battery and inverter.

Cloverdale
06-06-2017, 05:41 AM
This is the best beekeeping tool I have In my kit. Low mite numbers make happy healthy bees that produce ample honey and survive the winter! this tool Makes keeping my hives that way a breeze. Thanks Larry.

I Give the Provap 110 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

And Tenbears, very happy beekeepers too.

snl
06-14-2017, 04:16 PM
Yet another satisfied customer. This one uses the ProVap 220 (Same as the ProVap 110, just runs from 220v) in New Zealand

Hi Larry,

We have got two of your machines now and have been quite happy with them.
We have probably used them both about 700 times.

Thanks
Regards
Mirjam

e-spice
06-16-2017, 10:35 AM
I've only used mine a couple times but have some positive comments about it.

First is the construction - seems very heavy duty, much more so that the pictures. It's very substantial and solid.

Second is it works fast and significantly reduces the time it takes to treat my 20+ hives. I'm still working out a good process to reduce the time even more.

I really like it and would recommend it. It's a good deal to trade in the Varrox for it - take advantage of it before it's over.

snl
07-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Yet another satisfied customer..

"I used the ProVap today, 10 hives in 30 minutes including set up to clean up. What a difference, once I figure out how to lay things out it will get faster."

snl
07-18-2017, 06:20 AM
Another satisfied customer.........
Larry,
Thank you! I love it! Using mine pretty heavily. The only thing that would make it easier is if OA was in pre measured pellets.

snl
08-23-2017, 06:10 AM
Yet ANOTHER satisfied customer!

Larry,
The ProVap 110 works great. I was able to treat a whole yard (about 22 hives) in a very short amount of time. The other out-yards were also a breeze to treat. Mite drops after treatment proved the effectiveness of the OA. In the past, I treated using 2 wands, but this has proven to be a huge time saver and should be considered by any serious sideliners.

Thanks and have a great week -
Etienne

Nadeau Farms Inc
(252) 619-7308
[email protected]

dudelt
08-24-2017, 09:20 AM
I ordered my Provap 110 on Sunday. It was delivered yesterday (Wednesday). I have yet to use it but I can tell you that this machine is built to last. Everything on it is heavy duty. I can't wait to start killing mites! Thanks for the great service, again. Oh, as Larry says "Yet ANOTHER satisfied customer!".

snl
08-24-2017, 03:55 PM
I ordered my Provap 110 on Sunday. It was delivered yesterday (Wednesday). I have yet to use it but I can tell you that this machine is built to last. Everything on it is heavy duty. I can't wait to start killing mites! Thanks for the great service, again. Oh, as Larry says "Yet ANOTHER satisfied customer!".
Thanks! I guarantee you'll love it even more ONCE you start using it! :)

Huntingstoneboy
08-24-2017, 07:53 PM
Provap rocks!!! I managed to vap 100 hives in just under 4hrs, and that is traveling between 6 different yards. One word of caution...be sure to pull the provap straight out of the hole you drill as the copper tube is easy to bend when its hot. Looking forward to seeing how well my bees do this winter!

snl
08-25-2017, 06:27 PM
Yet ANOTHER satisfied customer!

Really impressed with the quality and ease of use.
Thanks again,
Scott

MiBees
08-25-2017, 06:31 PM
Received my ProVap Thursday and after doing a trial run I treated six hives today. Works as advertised. The best part is not having to get in front of the hives except to place a block over the entrance. Would definitely recommend this for OAV treating. There is one thing I feel is lacking. Even though there is an instruction sheet included, on the display panel there are a few soft keys and display lights on the left side that are not explained. I would think for $485 there would have been some sort of "manual" included.

snl
08-26-2017, 11:18 AM
There is one thing I feel is lacking. Even though there is an instruction sheet included, on the display panel there are a few soft keys and display lights on the left side that are not explained. I would think for $485 there would have been some sort of "manual" included.

That control module is used for many other purposes; not just to control the temperature on the ProVap. None of those other keys and display lights are relevant to the operation of the ProVap. To provide a "manual" for them and all their other uses (besides the ProVap) is meaningless to the operation of the ProVap.

MiBees
08-26-2017, 11:37 AM
snl, thank you for the feedback. Very pleased with its performance and quality of construction. For its ease of operation and being less intrusive to the bees I would recommend purchasing it over a wand type vaporizer.

Barhopper
08-26-2017, 04:41 PM
Used my new ProVap today for the first time. All I can say is Wow! Wish I had this tool three years ago. For me the time saving is the biggest deal. Ease of use and quality of construction is great. Fast shipping and easy communication with seller also a plus. Thanks Larry!

dudelt
08-28-2017, 12:40 PM
I used mine for the first time about 1 hour ago. I was having a hard time believing it was really working until I flipped the unit over by accident before putting the nozzle in the hole. It looked just like the video! It took longer than expected to do 10 hives but most of the time was setup and cleanup. The actual vaporizing time was absolutely minimal. Once I tweak it a bit, I will probably cut the time in half. This is a huge improvement over using the wand.

e-spice
09-18-2017, 08:56 AM
I really love the ProVap - it's a high quality beekeeping tool.

I do feel the need to make a few safety suggestions though:

1. Of course, a gas mask is required equipment, as with any OAV device.
2. Safety goggles - also required equipment.
3. Clean the device thoroughly after each use. It is CRITICAL to keep the outlet pipe clear and unobstructed.

shinbone
09-18-2017, 09:41 AM
Everyone is free to wear whatever safety devices they want, but, for me, I don't see a need for gas mask or safety glasses with the Provap. The Provap is fully inserted into the hive before it starts emitting OAV, and the hive is sealed relatively well to hold the vapors in. I've never come close to having problem by simply standing upwind while treating. Of course OAV is very nasty stuff, so people should take whatever precautions they feel comfortable with.

JMHO

e-spice
10-01-2017, 06:51 PM
If you've used a standard vaporizer in the past, are you seeing the same level of mite control with the Provap that you got with the vaporizer?

snl
10-01-2017, 07:52 PM
Because the vapors are “pressure forced” into and throughout the hive, you probably get a better distribution of OA. I see an impressive mite drop no matter whether I use the Varrox or ProVap. It’s hard to compare as both do a great job.
Perhaps other users can provide additional information.

Lauri
10-02-2017, 08:23 AM
I was reluctant to drill holes in my woodenware due to my rainy climate (& increase the rotting potential in my boxes), but finally decided to do it. It cut down my completion time significantly. ( I am doing about 200 colonies)
Getting your method down certainly make it a lot faster and more efficient. I can do all 200 in one day, and do them thoroughly.
My little Honda generator on my cart make access to even the most remote hives easy.

Is it effective? Absolutely. I am extremely happy with it. The provap is very effective in my opinion. Second year using it.
I still like delivering it near the top of the hive in colonies that are in larger than double deeps. The vapor settles well and distributes better than trying to get it to the top from bottom treatment locations. (I have to use a larger dose of OA to get the same coverage when applied from the bottom) Especially if you have screened bottom boards and even with slide in fully, vapor can stream right out if applied from the bottom.

The small tip is easy to treat overwintering mating nucs. To get these to overwinter in tiny colonies, they need to be clean, well fed and in top shape. Everything here now gets OAV in winter whether they need it or not. It's a regular part of my management to keep mites as near 0 as possible.

(Divided nucs with 5 over 5 half sized deep frames on each side)

Be sure to wash it with hot water and soap to keep the tip unobstructed for the next use. Run it through your tip for a minute. If the tip is plugged or touches a solid surface while using , it will pop the lid off. Use safety glasses as well as you mask while using.

I have to say, I LOVE knocking the H*** out of the mites. :D Even if it is just a few, it's a few that won't have the chance to turn in to many down the road if conditions are favorable for them to multiply ( Unusually warm winter & early brood rearing, older slowing queens, etc)

hilljack
10-02-2017, 12:00 PM
Has anyone tried running the pro vap off a atv ? mine has a plug in for a cigerttee lighter,would that be enough to run it ? Thanks Gary

snl
10-02-2017, 12:07 PM
Has anyone tried running the pro vap off a atv ? mine has a plug in for a cigerttee lighter,would that be enough to run it ? Thanks Gary
Maybe, but you’d still need an inverter. HF has an inexpensive one. 400w that you attach to your 12v battery. I use it for mine.

e-spice
10-02-2017, 09:38 PM
Hi Lauri,

Thanks for your reply. I've been using the Provap since late spring of this year. I recently noticed some mite issues and realized I wasn't getting the same level of mite control as I was with a standard vaporizer for the past three years. I had been treating from the bottom of the hive (as I do with my standard vaporizer) but noticed a lot of leaking of OAV fog even I was using the insert that covers the screened bottom board. Maybe the OAV wasn't getting distributed throughout the brood nest. I also wasn't getting much mite drop. I'll try your method of treating from the top. Are you verifying the mite drops or doing alcohol or powered sugar mite counts?

I'll also second your comment about keeping the Provap outlet tube clean and wearing goggles. I also had an issue where the tube became clogged and the lid popped off as well.

snl
11-21-2017, 10:35 AM
And yet, ANOTHER satisfied customer! This is from Ian Steppler a BS member and commercial beekeeper in Canada

"Neat little device
And it’s now proven by a commercial to be durable :thumbsup:"

Username
11-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Will you be running any Black Friday specials on your products? I'm planning to buy a ProVap 110 before next season anyway, but I want to prioritize my spending based on the best deals I can get with the funds I have available at the moment.

I don't think I've ever looked forward to a Black Friday sale before. I'm sure my wife will have plenty to say when a pallet (or two) of boxes and frames shows up at the house.

Tim KS
11-21-2017, 12:37 PM
Larry,

I bought a PV110 from Mann Lake a couple of months ago. I works great with no problem, however treating with lower outside temps this fall I noticed a small build up of 'snow' in the caps after use. Would it help to warm up the caps a bit before use to lessen this build up? I'll try that when I treat again before Christmas.

snl
11-21-2017, 02:03 PM
Larry,
I works great with no problem, however treating with lower outside temps this fall I noticed a small build up of 'snow' in the caps after use. Would it help to warm up the caps a bit before use to lessen this build up? I'll try that when I treat again before Christmas.

I find the same with the Teflon caps. Basically, I just ignore it and wash the caps out at the end of the day. No harm. You could try (as you stated) warming them a bit, but why bother?

Ian
11-21-2017, 02:25 PM
Wrap the bowl with a heat resistant wrap to help contain the heat.
We find when treating in lower temperatures the bowl temp fluctuations are too much.
By keeping a continuous burn (hive to hive to hive) the element is never turned off with the thermostat, and a quicker more uniform burn off is achieved

Ian
11-21-2017, 03:18 PM
Here is what I did to manage treatments during cool windy weather

https://youtu.be/4zQkxamb6TQ

Lauri
11-30-2017, 04:48 PM
Youtube video in case you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1zHjIniES4&feature=youtu.be

Provap vaporizer. 11-29-17. Western Washington State, about 46 degrees F.
This big OB hive (in the video link above) has the interior volume of about 4 deeps so the Provap takes a few seconds to come back up to temp. after that much OA dumps into the bowl.

About 47 seconds into video, you see the Provap getting back up to temp and vaporizing the rest of the OA.
Remainder of video is lengthy, but recorded for you to see how long the vapor cloud remains. Top and bottom entrances were not sealed for this treatment.
This hive has bees, but they are sucked up a little higher into the comb above, due to temp starting to drop at the end of the day.

My second year using this unit, still love it and will be buying another on so I can run 2 at a time.

Lauri
11-30-2017, 04:57 PM
Here is what I did to manage treatments during cool windy weather

https://youtu.be/4zQkxamb6TQ

I still need to do that. Thanks for the video Ian.

Ian
11-30-2017, 05:38 PM
I still need to do that. Thanks for the video Ian.

The difference in performance was instant.

aran
12-02-2017, 04:05 AM
Woohoo! my wife got me this for our anniversary. I will head to harbor freight today to get the inverter.
The inverter i attach to my lawntractor battery right? Then plug the provap into the inverter?

snl
12-02-2017, 05:24 AM
Aran, congratulations on both accounts! Yes, you are correct on the connections. You’re going to love it!

aran
12-02-2017, 07:11 AM
snl-> thanks mate!

aran
12-02-2017, 09:59 AM
do most people drill a small hole in a hive body to match the nozzle on the provap? or just put it in the front entrance of the hive? May make a piece of wood with small hole in to fit on it that fits in the hive opening.

snl
12-02-2017, 10:07 AM
do most people drill a small hole in a hive body to match the nozzle on the provap? or just put it in the front entrance of the hive? May make a piece of wood with small hole in to fit on it that fits in the hive opening.
Hard to say what "most" do, but me, it's a 1/4" hole in the back of the hive in the 3/4" slat that the bottom box sits on (not the hive body). Then I just throw an old towel across the front entrance to "seal" it.

snl
12-02-2017, 04:27 PM
My second year using this unit, still love it and will be buying another on so I can run 2 at a time.

I know just the place where you can get that 2nd unit. ;)

Groundhwg
02-22-2018, 12:18 PM
Received my ProVAp 110 yesterday (2/21/18) and treated hives this morning. Quick, easy to use, and no problems at all. Elected to drill ¼” hole in back of the bottom hive body, treated each hive in less than a minute before moving to the next hive. Fact is it works almost to fast :D by the time I load another cup and place on the next hive I do not have time to get back to the one I just finished to put golf tee in the hole. Was easier to just complete all my hives and then go back and plug the drilled holes.

Longest time was waiting the 10 minutes before opening the hives that had been treated. Very pleased with the operation of the ProVap and almost look forward to treating rather than dreading the long, hot, rather slow process of using my wands. Only other drawback is will I be able to sell my wands. :scratch: