Tennessee [Archive] - Beesource Beekeeping Forums

View Full Version : Tennessee

Jeffzhear
05-26-2007, 04:16 PM
5/26 First Swarm from a NUC I picked up on the 21st of May. They set down at 70 feet high, no chance to get them...

shylock3
06-26-2007, 10:09 AM
My only swarm this year so far was on 05/19, I had an old hive out and they went right to it.

RBar
08-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Dayton, Tennessee, up on Walden's Ridge, first swarm was the last day of April, 07. Huge swarm, on low limb, captured easily and built up quickly, though, comb a bit odd. Italians mostly, I think...
RBar

shylock3
08-30-2007, 12:16 PM
A farm worker found a swarm going into a hole in the base of a large oak tree. I don't know where they came from, possibly off one of my 7 hives. 08/30/2007

CSbees
11-26-2007, 04:06 PM
March 26 and March 29

blkcloud
03-28-2008, 08:33 AM
1 swarm yesterday 3-27-08.

Morierty
04-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Had my first swarm from I hive I pushed 4/2/08 37010

woodyard
04-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Got a large swarm ,probably 4-5 lbs, out of one of my swarm traps today.probably been in there a couple of days.trap is about 100 yds from beetree.turned cooler today after rain showers.they were cold and hungry

Jeffzhear
05-23-2008, 07:20 PM
First Swarm of the season moved into a swarm box yesterday, 5/22; area code 13850.:)

Jeffzhear
05-27-2008, 07:55 AM
One swarm moved into a swarm box on 5/24/2008 - 13850
One swarm took off as we (my son and I) were walking up to it on 5/26/2008 - 13732
One swarm moved into a swarm box on 5/27/2008 - 13850
One swarm in a honeysuckle (captured) at the airport 5/27/2008 - 13901

So, the season has started with the first break in the weather here. We had a stellar Memorial day weekend.

Jeffzhear
05-27-2008, 11:59 AM
One more swarm took residence in a NUC Box at 13850 today.:)

Jeffzhear
05-29-2008, 08:37 PM
5/29 1 swarm hived - 13827
5/29 2 swarms hived - 18812
5/29 1 swarm hived - 13850

Jeffzhear
06-03-2008, 03:14 PM
13790 Swarm in Swarm Box on 6/2/2008
18812 Swarm in Swarm Box on 6/2/2008

okb
06-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Hive swarmed. Swasrm was about the size of 2 basketballs.

06-09-08 @ 8:30am. 38111 zip.

Temps in the 90's for about the past week with no rainfor the last 8 days.

Watched them fly from a hive that contained a swarm captured 04-08. They landed in an oak tree about 50' up. When we attempted to capture the swarm the bucket was about 5' shy of reaching them. Bucket was then gently let down careful to not disturbe the swarm. Went to retrive a latter to gain the distance, took about 10 minutes to do so. Returned to observe the tail end of the swarm leaving and could not relocate it. From time swarm left the hive to time they left their staging position was about 2 1/2 hours total.

Hive was 2 deeps both boxes contained about 3 or 4 empty frames each. With screened bottom board. Pollen trap on the main entrence. Pollen production had dropped from about 1 lb per day to about 4oz per day for about 3 days prior to swarmming. No other hives have swarmed in this apiary however there are hives that are more populated than this one was.

Would like to say Merry Christmas in June to whomever may recive this swarm and may they be productive for you.
P.S. The queen will be marked "Red".

Jeffzhear
06-11-2008, 04:09 PM
13760 6/10 one moved into a swarm box.
13760 6/11 one moved into an empty stacked hive
13827 6/11 one moved into a swarm box.

Rob S
07-19-2008, 08:36 AM
I lost a swarm on April 19 -15 miles east of Memphis TN. -Rookie Mistake.

Live Oak
10-14-2008, 10:22 AM
I captured a small swarm of feral bees that balled up in a cedar tree near my hives last Saturday. They were trying to rob my hives.

Bens-Bees
04-06-2009, 09:16 PM
Picked up a swarm yesterday April 5th in Knoxville, TN. Roughly 3 to 5 pounds of bees, look like italians, but they aren't very active, so maybe russians... or more likely, mutts. Healthy looking.

USCBeeMan
04-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Bees had gone into wall. Possible that owner killed queen when he sprayed the bees that had gotten into a large walk-in closet through the breaker box.

USCBeeMan
04-18-2009, 08:08 AM
Smrnya, TN

Got a call today for a swarm at the same house I went to on Easter Sunday. That one left my nuc after I got it home. This one is hanging on the lowest limb of the tree that has a bee hive in it. Unfortuneately I am not in TN. Home visiting family. Called a beekeeper at home and he is going to go and get the swarm. These are great bees because this beehive they came from has been in this tree for a very long time!!!!

USCBeeMan
04-21-2009, 07:53 PM
3rd swarm from the same bee hive in a large tree.

4/12: Easter, Got a swarm but it left
4/17: Got the call but in SC. Called another beek to get swarm
4/21: Got the call and came back from SC today. Swarm size of football.

USCBeeMan
04-22-2009, 07:30 PM
4/22 - Nashville, got a call today and got a swarm around 3 pounds of bees.

4/22 - Huge swarm in a Magnolia on the edge of my property and my neighbors. He has 1 small hive and I have around 7. Think they swarmed from by largest hive this AM. Anyway it must have 10 pounds of bees. Put most of them in a 8-frame high body. Left hive by the tree. Looked late this evening and the swarm size is really large again in the tree. Not sure if the bees came back out of the hive. I saw a lot of them going into the hive earlier. Is it possible that there is more than 1 queen in this huge swarm?

4/22 - Got a call for another swarm in Nashville while going to the swarm mentioned above. Bees almost on the ground. Can't go. Gave the name of another beek and he turned the swarm down. Said to far to go for a small swarm.

4/22 - Got a call from the same guy in Smyrna that I retriived a swarm from yesterday (4/21). This is the 4th swarm starting on Easter! He says that he now doesn't see any activity in the "bee holes" up in the dying tree. Will try and go back and get this swarm too! Could all of the bees be swarming out of the tree for some reason??

USCBeeMan
04-27-2009, 06:39 AM
4/23 - 2 Swarms at house
4/24 - 1 Swarm at house
4/25 - 1 Swarm at house
4/26 - 1 Swarm at house

Ran out of boxes!!!

Have gotten 4 other calls for swarms and had to turn them down. Gave the people other contacts.

Live Oak
05-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Our largest hive swarmed today at about 1 pm. I was VERY lucky and able to capture the swarm and have them in a nucleus colony box. I am all out of hives right now. :doh: I put out 10 hives about a month ago. It was a pretty good size swarm ball of about 3 times the size of a package of bees.

USCBeeMan
05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Picked up a small swarm today. Easiest one so far. Small swarm that had been in a tree since yesterday evening and it rained most of the night. Cut the limb and lightly shook it on top of the frames. Ladies went right in. Put on the top and they started coming in from the entrance. Strange thing though! The bee population seemed to be growing. There were a lot of bees at the entrance when I left the hive and bees seemed to be still arriving.

Any ideas?

USCBeeMan
05-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Got a call about a bee hive in a tree. HIve has been there for at least 3 years. Want to cut the tree down. Went and looked at it yesterday. Will probably have to screen off the opening and then cut the tree down.

What's the best way to get the bees to leave the cut down tree and into a box. Figured I would cut the tree a second time closer to the entrance and maybe further up the tree as the bees seem to be going up into the tree.

Live Oak
05-07-2009, 08:57 PM
The same hive that swarmed on the 5th of May swarmed again today. I was able to catch it. Now I have 2 swarms in Nuc boxes awaiting hive bodies. :doh:

USCBeeMan
05-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Got another swarm today. Same place as last Wed. Larger swarm this time. Strange thing though. As I was walking up to the tree that was suppose to have the swarm I saw bees flying around between that tree and a large cedar that was just ahead of me. Seemed to be a little swarm in the cedar tree too. After looking longer I realized that the bees had been there for a few days as they had already made comb.

When I cut the branch with the swarm and put it on the sheet in front of the hive the bees started marching in and fanning. In fact the bees a foot or two away and the sheet were fanning too!

Went back to the hive/comb on the cedar tree and it had declined in size and could see the comb better. Guess some of the bees went to the hive I set up.

Had a little 3-frame medium nuc with me. I cut the cedar branch and threw it in front of the hive. A lot of the bees fell on the cover which was upside down. After a while I put the cover on lightly so as to not squish any of the ladies. As soon as I did that the rest of the bees on the ground and around the box went into the nuc. Now I am pretty sure there is no queen.

Think I might take these bees and just leave them in the nuc, feed them SW and let them make me some comb.

Going to go pick up both boxes shortly at dusk.

USCBeeMan
05-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Got another swarm today. Not sure how much but at least the size of a soccer ball or better. :thumbsup: :) See if I can put a pic with this later.

Running out of equipment. Started this year with 4 hives. Purchased 4 packages and 1 5-frame nuc. Made 4 splits and the rest are swarms. :lookout:

Currently up to 21 colonies. :eek:

JCH1960
05-13-2009, 05:56 PM
I caught 1 swarm on the 4th,7th, 2 swarms on the 12th, 1 on the 16th,17th. of April
I was called about a swarm on the 9th of May but could not locate it.

USCBeeMan
05-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Got a call for a swarm at an elementry school. Stayed there for almost 3 hours. After I got the swarm hived, the bees kept coming. Finally got tired and closed up the hive and left. I got there probably 1.5 to 2 hours after the swarm arrived.

Ist it possible that these were just stragglers or was it bees that were still coming to joing the swarm?

While there got a call for another swarm but it was too late to go. Will call back around 6:30 in the morning. If the swarm is still there, I will go and get it.

I really need to get some nucs made. Most of these swarms could be hived in a 5-frame nuc. Especially if they were high body nucs.

USCBeeMan
05-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Got another swarm today. Pretty good size. Put it in a cardboard box and brought it home. Started a 5-frame med nuc last night. Finished it up this morning and got a coat of primer on it after I got back with the swarm. Once the primer dried, I hived the swarm in the nuc. Seemed to be more bees than a 5-frame nuc, but without any comb, they should be okay and busy making comb. Never did see the queen. Put a pint of bees in each of 2 smaller hives in the yard to boos their numbers from this swarm.

USCBeeMan
05-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Hived a swarm this morning. Around 3 - 4 pounds of bees. Got the call last night. Said the swarm had been there for around 2 days. Nice looking bees. Were in a very small cherry tree around 4' off the ground.

Trying to make some deep 5-frame nucs. But can't make them fast enough. That goodness, I still had 4 cardboard nucs. 1 in a tree, 2 on the carport and 1 not made up yet. Well I have another 1 on the carport but the bees have been swarming into it since yesterday late afternoon.

USCBeeMan
05-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Got a nice swarm this morning. At least 4 pounds. Hived them into a 5-frame cardboard nuc with junk for frames. Brought them home and about 45 minutes later I moved them over to a 5-frame Nuc that I made (high body) with a screened bottom.

Darn girls wouldn't completely leave the cardboard nuc so I left it beside the wooden nuc. Came back a little while ago and those girls were bearding the outside of the cardboard nuc and in the corner in the inside of the nuc (no frames, took them out). Good frames in the wooden nuc.

So this time I dumped them into the wooden nuc, and hurled the cardboard nuc as far as I could so that they wouldn't have the smell of it nearby. Left the top open on the wooden nuc. Hopefully they will settle down and I can close it up.

Don't want to loose this swarm. It's large enough that it should fill out all 5 frames in a week. Can then added another box on it or move them to an 8-frame or 10 frame box.

USCBeeMan
05-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Just got back from hiving a large swarm that was in a young redbud tree about 3 feet off the ground. Just put the hive under the tree, bent the limb over and gave it a shake.

Must have been around 7-8 pounds of bees. About 2 feet across in a V shape and probably 3 inches or more thick.

Weird thing is that I did not see even 1 drone! Is that unusual, especially for this time of the year? All my other swarms had drones.

Took it on to a friends farm where I am keeping some of my hives. Now up to 8 there. All are swarms or splits.

Thank goodness we have a 2nd church service!!!

TonyL
06-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Got a call yesterday from animal control about a swarm in someone's back yard. Went there and found a fairly large mass of bees, but it was more than 40 feet up in a large oak tree, completely inaccessible. I put out a hive with lemon grass oil sprinkled near the entrance to see if I could entice them. A few scouts were checking it out when I left but so far the swarm hasn't moved in or left. Any suggestions?

TonyL
06-30-2009, 03:15 PM
A quick update on my swarm situation which I posted above. I went back to see if the scouts might have directed the swarm into my bait hive (no luck) and arrived just as the bees were beginning to leave. I fully expected them to fly away, never to be seen again, but instead they landed in a nearby bush about 10 feet off the ground. I had a step ladder so I captured them in a box with no difficulty and had them in a hive 30 minutes later. Amazingly, in that short amount of time between getting them in the box and hiving them, they had already produced a few dozen little spots of wax on the cardboard. They seem ready to go to work. And this was a big swarm too, covering almost all 10 frames of the deep hive body. So now they're in their new home, being feed and, hopefully, settling in. That was my third—and last—swarm of the season.

USCBeeMan
07-04-2009, 01:52 PM
Nashville, TN

7/2

Got a call in Nashville about a swarm. Was on the ground. Owners said it was huge the night before. Area of bees on the ground then was about 4'x4'. This was a small mound of bees. Maybe 1.5 -2 pounds at the most. But it ended up having a queen. Got most of the bees and the queen.

USCBeeMan
07-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Murfreesboro, TN
7/2

Had another swarm in my yard. This one went in a cardboard nuc I had in the peachtree. Went out yesterday and they were flying in and out. Today very few bees.

Had around 4 swarms last week out of my yard and then they disappeared the next day from my nucs that I put them. Beginning to think the bees went back to their hives.

TonyL
07-31-2009, 08:23 PM
A small cantaloupe-sized swarm issued from one of my hives late this afternoon and landed on another hive causing considerable fighting. I collected them into a makeshift hive and will put them in a more permanent home in the morning. I'll treat them as a nuc and maybe combine them with another hive later on.

Chick
08-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Collected a cantelope size swarm on 8/7/09 in Beaumont, Texas. They had built wildcomb about the size of an egg, so they might have been there a couple of days. I know they had been there 24 hours from when I picked them up.

TonyL
09-20-2009, 07:12 AM
A grapefruit-sized swarm was hanging off the back of one of my hives yesterday. This is second such swarm in just over a month.

USCBeeMan
04-13-2010, 06:23 PM
4/12

Got call from another beek about a cutout near me. Called owner. Was a swarm. Went to pick it up and it was gone. Said it was there when I talked with owner earlier.

Said it had been there for 2 days. Can't have what you can't get. :cool:

USCBeeMan
04-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Got another swarm call on 4/15..........from another beek not too far from me. He is just going into his second year, 79, and his health is not too good.

Anyway, went to help him and the bees had just left. Said he hadn't seen the swarm the day before but I believe they had been there for some time. How likely is it that the bees swarmed and then found a home and left the tree in just hours?

Sad thing is that the hive that swarmed was left with a lot of bees, brood comb (some with honey and pollen) but no queen, eggs, larva or capped brood.

Bens-Bees
04-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Got a call for a cutout yesterday, showed up to assess the situation today and there is a swarm 25' off the ground but directly over the roof ridge and only 8-10' above that in addition to the soffit-hive. Medium-sized swarm, wasn't prepared to collect and it's going to rain all night so if they are still there in the morning I'll get them at that time.

Bens-Bees
04-25-2010, 02:07 PM
They were still there, but I mis-judged how far above the roof ridge they were... had to get an extension for my bee-vac to reach them. Here's the pics...

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c158/Gatbunton/100_1076.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c158/Gatbunton/100_1077.jpg

That's all I took because the job was very difficult as it was without stopping to take more pics.

mherndon
04-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Chattanooga, TN 20' in oak tree. First swarm call this year. Got another call on the way to this one. Volleyball in size.

Mark

USCBeeMan
04-28-2010, 08:18 PM

Got a call tonight from a lady in Auburn Town, TN. Has a swarm about 10' up in a tree. Bees swarmed out of a tree hive this afternoon. She wants the bees and wants to be a beek. Got to be at a house around 7:45 in the morning for a tree crew that is cutting down a huge tree that has a bee hive in the main trunk. May be a huge hive.

Anyway, going to get this swarm for the lady in the early morning around 6:30. Charging her $93. $40 to come out and get the swarm (22 miles away) and $53 for a 5 frame nuc with 4 frames of foundation and 1 frame of old comb. Think that's fair enough. Swarm is about 10' up. Home is an easy drive. Nuc is one I built from the instructions that were put up on this forum a month or so ago using plywood. Plywood is cabinent grade that was given to me so all I have in the nuc is labor, glue, nails, primer, and paint. :thumbsup:

tnmx
05-05-2010, 06:26 AM
May 4th Gallatin TN. 2 1/2 pounds 25 feet up in a pine tree.

TonyL
05-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Got a basketball sized swarm today. It was on the ground in a field of two-foot tall grass making capturing it a challenging three-hour process. I couldn't shake them into the box or scoop them up so I started picking as many up by hand as I could, but that was like herding cats. Then I lucked out and found the queen. Once she was inside I just sat back and watched them go in.

Bens-Bees
05-19-2010, 03:43 PM
5-19-2010 medium sized swarm from East Knoxville, TN.

mthammer11
06-05-2010, 09:03 PM
One of my hives swarmed yesterday: 6-5-10

USCBeeMan
06-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Finally!!! 2 small swarms.

Something told me to walk in my neighbor's yard. He has a hive there that I manage. My shoulder is in too bad a shape to be pulling boxes off to look at frames. But 2 days ago I took all off but the brood chamber with is a high and medium. All of the other boxes were almost full of honey and capped honey. Was a little brood mixed in but not much. Added another super as the 4th box from the bottom. (I have been in severe pain and taking pain killers since I looked in the hive!!!!

Anyway something told me to walk over there and it was getting toward dusk. As I was walking up to the hive I heard bees but it didn't register at first. Walking back I heard them again. It was coming from the plum tree not far from the hive. There were bees in several places on the tree and some on the ground. Carefully moved the bees around on the ground and saw the queen. Went and got me a 5 frame medium nuc with 2 frames of honey. Put the box in front of the bees and they started marching into the box. All except the queen and those that were all around her. Finally to a small stick and pushed the ball of bees and queen up onto the entrance and left.

Other bees were still in the tree but only in one spot. Swarm on the ground was not a lot of bees but the queen looked mated. The second swarm is about 3 times larger which still isn't saying much. Softball size??

Will look in the AM and see if the swarm is still in the tree. If it is, I will hive it in a 3 frame high nuc. Leaving tomorrow for 2 weeks to see my family in SC and go to the beach. Either they make it or they don't. Will close up the entrances on both so that they are only around 1 bee in width.

USCBeeMan
06-26-2010, 05:03 PM
Murfreesboro, TN

Swarm in a tree at least 20 feet up. My yard so it's from one of my hives. Could be an abscond instead of swarm. Opened up 1 hive today that I had been nursing along and it was devestated with WM, WML, WMP. Pulled out most of the frames and left in open.

USCBeeMan
07-03-2010, 02:13 PM
M'boro

Got a call about a swarm night of 7/1. Close to the ground on a small holly tree. Maybe 4 or 5 lbs. Hived them on 7/2 with a tarp on the ground. Came back last night to pick them up after dark. Someone had pulled the tarp up part of the box and another part was pulled over. Dead bees. Checked hive and there were still a lot of bees when I put it out at a farm.

USCBeeMan
07-25-2010, 10:40 PM
7/23/10
Murfreesboro, TN

2 swarms. 1 in peach tree with queen and as many bees as possible inside a butterfly house. Had already started building comb. Also a small swarm on the outside of a nuc that was a swarm I had gotten a week or so ago.

Small swarm by nuc. Found unmated queen in a ball of bees on the ground in front of the nuc. Put her and as many of the bees as possible in a medium nuc.

Larger swarm in tree/butterfly house. Unscrewed bottom of house and shook out all of the bees and also shook out the bees that were on the limb above into high nuc below branch. Saw a mated queen.

Later in day I saw a ball of bees on top of high nuc frames. It was the unmated queen or another one just like her. Put her in a small box for a couple of hours. Decided to see what would happen if I let her out by the high nuc. Bees immediately balled her. Put her in medium nuc and she went in between the frames.

Larger swarm absconded back to tree. Every now and then they would swarm out only to return to the peach tree. Put the butterfly house back on tree.

Smaller swarm in medium seemed to be okay.

Larger swarm moved back into butterfly house. I had captured a lot of bees in a small wooden box I had made sometime back. Moved the high nuc away from tree facing a wooden fence and put up a lot of sticks in front. Added a frame of brood that contained larva. Opened up the wood box of bees and dumped some inside top. Many stayed put. Moved the butterfly house and laid by the nuc. Finally had to open the bottom of the house and shake the bees and queen into the top of the box and put top back on nuc. Bees stayed. and were there today 7/25/10.

Can't figure out that unmated queen. Why she would be in front of a nuc containing a swarm. Why she would leave a nuc I put her in with bees and fly over to another swarm where the bees continuously attacked her.

Well 1 out of 2 ain't bad.

USCBeeMan
07-28-2010, 09:39 PM
7/28/10
M'boro, TN

Noticed a small swarm on a small globe that is on a metal stake. Since I knew a globe was there I knew that this couldn't be much of a swarm. But I put a 5-frame medium under it on 2 bricks. Nuc has a screened bottom. Closed down the small entrance further and added just 4 frames. 3 of the frames have some brood comb.

Well, they all went into the nuc by night fall. As I was putting the cover on the nuc............... a moth flew towards the nuc.................but I got the cover on first.

May or may not make it. Willing to see if there is a queen and if she is mated or gets mated and what kind of layer she becomes. Have a couple other hives that are not doing so well so a combine is possible.

USCBeeMan
08-08-2010, 07:16 PM
Been out of town. Got home Sat night and saw a large swarm in a magnolia tree this AM. Must have been 5 pounds of bees. Cut the limb and placed the bees in a 8 frame high hive. No problems. Bees seemed to be happy. Came back later today around 2PM and they were gone.

Strange thing is that in the past if a swarm left a hive/box/nuc because they didn't like it, they setlled back in the same tree or another one nearby. This time they were just gone.

Hope they went back home.

USCBeeMan
08-09-2010, 09:28 PM
M'boro, TN
8/9/10

Evidently the swarm that absconded went back to it's hive. Found the swarm again back in the same tree. Hived it again in the same 8-frame box. Added a frame of honey/pollen. Added a QE above the BB as an includer prior to hiving the swarm.

At nightfall the bees were still in the hive. Me thinks that I have got them this time.

USCBeeMan
08-29-2010, 01:46 AM
08/27
M'Boro, TN

Got a call for a swarm Friday evening around 6:45. Told them that I could get them 1st thing next morning. Said not good enough. Bees were above employee's entrance at the FedEx Ground Terminal.

They had tried to kill them with wasp spray prior to calling me and did kill a few. It was after 8PM when I got there. Bees were on the wall basically 1 to 2 bees thick spread out down the 2 sides of the corner wall.

Sprayed them hard with SW and swept them into a 5-frame nuc that had SW in some of the comb. Then I went about sweeping up every one I could find and putting them in the box. They stayed put as I gathered them up. Hard to estimate the size. Maybe 2-3 pounds at most.

Got home after 10PM. Put them out back on a stump the next morning because I was leaving later for a cutout at an apartment complex in Nashville.

Bees looked calm and comfortable in new home when I got back that evening from cutout.

Will be sending invoice for $75. The big trucking outfits should be checking the rigs at the gate before they come in for things like bees. No telling if this was a local swarm or a swarm that rode FedEx from who knows where.

justjim
04-02-2011, 06:39 PM
:)First year bkeeper, was working in my shop today saturday april 2,2011 at 1135 in the morning in dresden, tn look out the front door a saw my first swarm of the year about 25 feet from me in a apple tree 3 feet off the ground. got my home made bvac, it work great,put them in a brood box with some sugar water 1to1 with hbh,there doing great. i beleive they came from one of my two hive:)

USCBeeMan
04-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Got my first swarm call of the season yesterday late afternoon. We were still in the midst of that bad storm that had been raging since early afternoon. Swarm was in a magnolia tree about 6' up per the owner. They had a huge tree down from the storm. Took me forever to get there because most of the traffic lights were not working. By the time I got there it was dark, still raining and cold.

Wonder why people always say something is about 6' feet off the ground. Guess it's just a nice round number. This swarm was every bit of 10' off the ground and huge. Hard to judge in the dark and raining and this swarm was really hunkered down tight.

They started to fall to the ground in clumps and go "plump" when they hit the ground. Put the nuc out hoping they would go in. Finally got a bucket and got the rest of them on 2 tries dumping them in the nuc. Actually it was a 5-frame high nuc with a 2nd 5-frame with only 3 frames in it.

Could easily have been 7 or more pounds of bees. Put on gloves and started scooping up the bees that were still on the wet ground and dumping them into the top. Strapped the 2 boxes down tight, covered with a sheet and magnolia leaves and left it there for the night.

Went back this AM and all was well. Plenty of bees in the nuc and probably a 1000 or so dead on the ground from the rain and cold. Brought it home and set it up. By this afternoon they were really flying around and getting orientated.

That was 2 80 mile round trips. At 15 mpg that was expensive but still a lot cheaper than purchasing a nuc or package.

Jeffzhear
04-06-2011, 03:50 PM
I was looking out the front window....had a med/full dead out sitting on a pallet in view...watched the swarm come across the pasture and into the box they went. I went through the 17 hives near the west pasture...one box with a poor pattern and new queen cells... the swarm didn't come from my hives...and too far from my next closest yard... :-)

USCBeeMan
04-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Got a call for another swarm on the same limb in the same tree that I captured a swarm on Monday night.

Small swarm, about the size of a large softball.

SteveBee
04-08-2011, 10:27 AM
37129 Murfreesboro, TN
Caught a swarm in a bait hive yesterday, 4/7. Don't know how big it is, but the box looks full. I'll transfer them tomorrow.

USCBeeMan
04-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Swarms 3 & 4 (All since Monday):

4/8: Got call near dark about a swarm. Hived it that night in a nuc. Really not sure how large the swarm was but I doubt it was over 2 pounds. Brought it home 4/9 AM.

4/9: Got call around 6:30PM about a large swarm 38 miles away. Was dark by the time most of the bees were in the hive. Left hive there to get the rest of the bees that were around the box or on the ground below where the swarm was located on a bush. Swarm could have been 7 pounds or more. There were a lot of bees. Will go back tomorrow after church, seal off entrance and bring back the hived swarm.

USCBeeMan
04-10-2011, 07:06 PM
4/10: Brought home swarm (#4) from Spring Hill, TN. Got almost all of the bees. Screened off the entrance and then sprayed SW/HBH on entrance and bees at entrance. Waited a little while and then sprayed again as there were a lot more bees at entrance. Covered hive with sheet underneath hive which captured almost all of the bees. Brought hive home.

4/10: Swarm #5. On the way back from Spring Hill got a call for a large swarm in Nashville. Took hive home, released the bees, repacked with new equipment and sheet and headed out. Bees left just before I got there. We found them across the street in a dogwood tree. At least 5 to 7 pounds. Sheet, hive, SS/HBH, and shake. After a few more shakes and scoops put on IC. Later OC. After OC wasn't long before most bees were hived. Sealed entrance, SW/HBH, wrapped with sheet, cinched up hive, put in truck and took to a farm. No worse for the wear.

SteveBee
04-11-2011, 10:34 AM
TBH swarmed 4/10. They were bearding and I was watching. Video taped liftoff and then taped them landing in a pine tree 15 away. Shook in a box and put them in another hive. They are their own next door neighbors two hours later. About four pounds of bees.

USCBeeMan
04-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Had 2 calls for swarms.

One 45 miles away. Very few bees still there but the back of my truck which was parked some distance away was full of bees when I moved it closer to the swarm spot. Left an 8-frame nuc there just in case as a lot of bees were coming and going from several directions.

The other in town. But bees weren't swarming, they were orientating at the entrance to the outside wall which was stone (veneer?).

USCBeeMan
04-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Swarm #6: Nashville TN Clear, rained previous night.

Received call mid-morning about a swarm at an auto auction company. Bees were no longer there but could see some flying around. Especially on top of roof. Got up on the metal roof and looked around. Prior to going up setup a 5-frame nuc with all frames sprayed with SW/HBH where bees were located earlier. Kept seeing bees flying around but no swarm. Started seeing a large group of bees further down the building roof. Brought up nuc and set on roof not far from where I got up. Walked back over and saw a more bees flying and about 15-20 bees on the roof. Brought nuc over next to group of bees. Found queen and put her in the box. Bee immediately started coming to nuc. Went back to get top. When I got back a lot more bees. Put on top and then left roof to drive around to other side of huge building which was much closer to the nuc. By the time I got back up from the other side the hive was covered with bees. Sprayed some of the on the front with SW/HBH and they started going into box. Waited at least 30 minutes and most of the swarm was either in or on the nuc. Put down a sheet and moved the nuc back onto it. Bees started moving to nuc there. Waited maybe 10 minutes then I took the ends of the sheet and gathered them up at the top of the nuc. Carried sheeted nuc down ladder and put in back of truck with sheet in place. Brought home and set down nuc at location and pulled back sheet. Bees seemed to be fine later in the evening. Unsure of exact amount of bees but at least 3#. Persistance......

USCBeeMan
04-14-2011, 12:24 PM
Swarm #7: Hermitage TN, Clear & cool on 4/14.

4/13: Received a call late evening. Told him bees would not leave tree this late in the day. Will come early tomorrow and get the swarm. Said bees had probably been there for at least a day. 4/14: Swarm was much larger than I expected. Started about 4" from bottom of the tree and went up 2 feet or better all the way around the tree and on to the branches. Probably close to 10# of bees. Put down sheet, with 8-fram box under the hive as close as I could to the largest section of the swarm. Already sprayed the frames with SW/HBH. Sprayed the bees tool. Started scraping them off onto the box and in front of the box. Took me over an hour to finally get at least 98% of the bees into the hive. Pruned limbs on tree as I went because homeowner told me last night that the tree didn't grow very well. Pruning helped me get to the bees and allowed me to scrap and brush off the bees onto the hive and sheet. Putting IC and then later OC on really increased the amt of bees that went into the hive. Finally stapled the entrance shut and waited for more bees to congregate at entrance or on sheet. Folded sheet up and strapped down hive with sheet around it and brought it home. Removed sheet which had a lot of bees and the screen from the entrance. Bees seem to be doing fine.

USCBeeMan
04-18-2011, 06:57 PM
4/17: Murfreesboro, TN

Cutout of a tree that had been pushed down during clearing on Thur or Fri. Rained 1.65 inches Fri and Sat AM. Was told about it at church Sun. Went and looked at it. Tree busted open pretty good with a lot of comb and bees. Pulled out a lot of comb with brood and scooped up a lot of bees. Finally got the queen in the hive sometime during the process as all of the bees started moving to hive. Did cutout frames after removing all of the comb and most of the bees. When moving some of the comb that was piled up in the first box into the second box I am sure I saw 3 queens fall off. 1 was large and very light in color (almost tan) and large, 2nd was dark and long, 3rd was smaller than 2nd but looked the same except smaller (unmated). Waited till night and cooler. Every bee had to be in the boxes. Couldn't find 1 single bee in the area of the tree, where I did the cutout frames or on any of the honeycomb I left.

Left honeycomb because some of it was full of SHB larva. Should have brought it home, froze it and then fed it to the bees. But some of the bees on some of the honey comb looked like they had been sprayed. Didn't want to take a chance with any of that comb. Comb further up in the hollow was fine. Very huge hive with a huge population of bees (Workers, young house bees, drones, and drones that were twice the size of the other drones).

USCBeeMan
04-18-2011, 06:59 PM
4/18: Nashville

Call for bees in a house. Bees evidently just swarmed into the home. Guy works 3rd shift so I will go over when he's available and see.

USCBeeMan
04-20-2011, 06:46 AM
4/18 Murfreesboro, TN:

Swarm I hived on 4/14 and brought home absconded. There were probably close to 30,000 bees in that swarm. Bees were in the hive the first couple of days so they had to of left on 4/17-18. Never saw a swarm anywhere around the house. I have always in the past saw the bees swarming in the air or found them on a branch or bush. I normally check every day. Don't think I did this time.

USCBeeMan
04-20-2011, 01:30 PM
4/20 McMinnville, TN:

Got a call about a swarm last night. Rained during the night and was suppose to rain all day today. Bees were still there. Around 5 pounds. Easiest swarm I have ever gotten. Put down sheet. Sprayed all comb with SW/HBH. Placed 5-frame Nuc under swarm on bush. Shook bush. 10 minutes later they were all in the box. It's nice when they are all on 1 limb, only 2.5' off the ground with a clear and short drop to the box.

cdowdy
04-25-2011, 03:33 AM
Cecil Dowdy; had 5 searms on 20 Apr 11 and one on the 22nd. From my hives North TN on KY border. zip code 38549, Byrdstown, TN.

Live Oak
05-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Captured my first swarm of the season on May 2, 2011. They had tried to swarm a number of times before so I added a third brood box which kept them in the hive for a few more weeks. Pretty good size swarm......about 5 lbs. I would estimate. Here is a more detailed outline:

http://forum.tractorfarmandfamily.com/showthread.php?t=13793

buhbee
05-06-2011, 07:18 AM
2 May 2011 @ 1245 central
Lebanon, TN 37090

This colony was in a new TBH and was installed from a captured swarm on 9 April 2011, just 23 days earlier. Originally they were given eight empty bars, then two more, then two more, and eventually ended up with 16 bars, the last two of which were added on 25 April. In addition, they were fed 1:1 sugar syrup from day one, and went through about a quart a day. In 16 days they consumed 15 qts. of SS and drew out 13 full bars of near perfect comb. We intended to go in and do a full inspection on either 29 or 30 April but didn't get to. Then on Monday, 2 May 2011 at 1245 during a break in the clouds and rain, they swarmed while I sat there watching the hive. Luckily, they clustered just 30 feet from the hive on a cedar branch just seven feet above ground. The bees now reside in an 8-frame, medium Langstroth just six feet from the TBH they left.

Greg

USCBeeMan
05-08-2011, 10:03 PM
5/8
37130 Murfreesboro, TN

Swarm #10

3# about 6' up in a weeping willow. Hived into a 5-frame nuc.

buhbee
05-10-2011, 02:50 PM
10 May 2011 @ 0900 Central time
Lebanon, TN 37090

This was the second swarm in eight days from my TBH which was itself started from a swarm just one month earlier, 9 April 2011. Both swarms issued from this colony were between three and four pounds, bigger than any 3# package I have ever seen. See msg #1178 in this thread (dated 6 May) for further details of the colony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAB6OEt3WTo

My bees don't make honey... they make bees.

Greg

buhbee
05-14-2011, 04:36 PM
13 May 2011 @ 1300+ Central time
Lebanon, TN 37090

This was the third swarm in eleven days from my TBH which was started from a swarm on 9 April 2011. It settled near the end of a cedar branch approximately 16 feet above ground. A five-gallon bucket bolted to the end of a 12 foot wooden dowel rod was just the ticket. My friend and swarm catcher Bobby eased the bucket up and under the cluster, gave it a quick jab and thump. A bucket of bees! Followed by another thump ten or so minutes later, voilą! We had a box full of bees.

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m512/cedarbees/201105/xIMG_0850.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m512/cedarbees/201105/xIMG_0852.jpg

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/m512/cedarbees/201105/xIMG_0853.jpg

See msg #1178 & #1193 in this thread (dated 6 May & 10 May) for further details of the colony.

Greg

USCBeeMan
05-14-2011, 06:48 PM
5/12 Nashville

Cutout. Behind vinyl siding. May be 2 different colonies as there are bees going in about 10' further up. Opened it up and found this huge ball of white comb with honey and brood. Must have vaccumed out 50K bees. Started storming so I had to hurry and cut out 3 frames of brood. Closed up the opening and need to go back ASAP as I am not sure if there is enough bees now to cover all of the comb/brood left behind. Set cutout up Friday morning before going to look at 2 more cutout jobs.

USCBeeMan
05-14-2011, 06:53 PM
5/13 Murfreesboro, TN

Got a call from Belks stating they needed help ASAP as a swarm had arrived and gotten inside the wall and into the store. Vaccumed out bees from outside until hardly anything left then caulked up hole. Hard to get to the bees inside. They were behind a wall of equipment monitoring fire equipment and alarms. Got what I could get and left the vaccumed bees in the room hoping to draw out the other bees and the queen. Went back this AM (5/14) and had no luck. Did vaccum out some more bees but eventually I couldn't see the bees anymore with my scope. Finally had to call it quits and spray the inside of the wall and all of the room with DE. Bees are still in the back of my truck. Trying to decide what hive to add them. Needs to be a hive that is established enough that it can protect itself if these bees don't want to merge.

USCBeeMan
05-14-2011, 07:01 PM
5/14 Murfreesboro, TN

It is really cool this evening and late afternoon with a breeze. Walking around my yard checking my bees and happened to look from a distance at my hive trap hanging on a nail on my back fences. Just looked at it a couple of days ago and removed all of the roaches. Saw some activity. Went over there and sure enough, had a swarm of bees. Now where did they come from? I have been monitoring my hives pretty well and they were not in swarm mode. Had a couple of small swarms that kept making swarm cells. I just used them to make some splits using frames and bees from other hives. Swarm #11. (12 if counting the one that absconded)

AuntBee
05-20-2011, 08:39 PM
Caught one today in Middle TN. It was my first experience! I discovered it about a mile from my home in someone's yard. The man was outside and I asked him if I could come back and get it. He was better than fine with that, so I spend almost the entire day running back and forth from my house to the swarm box I set out.

SteveBee
05-27-2011, 02:15 PM
May 26th, 3:00 P.M. Murfreesboro, TN 37130, Large swarm in a small Bradford Pear tree, three feet off the ground. Easy catch.

AuntBee
06-05-2011, 12:24 PM
My own bees just swarmed this morning. Middle TN. I was preparing to get a swarm out of my maple tree when they moved on off. I chased them, but couldn't follow fast enough so I don't know where they landed next. Then I checked on my hive. (I'm new at this, so I only have one hive.) Half my bees were gone. I didn't they they would swarm the first year. I'm not sure what would have made them go. The weather is extremely hot and dry here already, but they have plenty of pollen and nectar, and several close water sources. My top bar hive was only about half full, so they weren't crowded. I did see a capped queen cell yesterday during my hive inspection, but couldn't find the queen. She probably was already in the tree. I started seeing drone cells last week.

blkcloud
08-12-2011, 12:04 PM
Caught a football sized swarm 2 days ago, hived them and they left yesteday..lol..

hipbee
08-25-2011, 08:12 AM
caught a softball size swarm yesterday afternoon, latest swarm ive seen, also late in the afternoon, they swarmed around 6:30, the same hive swarmed back in July......cheked them out and found at least 30 queen cells!!!!

quevernick
03-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Got a swarm call today was a pretty good size swarm that originated from a Tree Hive. This is only my second year catching swarms but it is almost a month earlier than my first call last year. Cookeville,TN 38501

AuntBee
03-24-2012, 02:47 PM
Way to go! :applause::applause: That's the way to start your business off with a bang! Please post the newspaper story when it comes out.

PeteBridwell
03-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Friend of a friend posted a pic of football size swarm in Springfield, TN (37172) a couple of days ago on Facebook. She called someone else before I heard about it.

quevernick
03-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Swarm in a Pine Tree in the front yard, pretty sure it was from one of my hives but wont know til I check the hives tomorrow.

Cookeville, TN 38501

SteveBee
03-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Got a call today from a guy who said a swarm of bees had moved into the wall of his house in the last 2-3 days. I'm going to cut them out Saturday.

Nashville, TN

hipbee
04-02-2012, 06:17 AM
37888 Washburn TN. 6-8 lbs swarm, landed on 3 foot tall apple tree and nearly doubled it over! my best queen, should have known she was ready to swarm, she is 3 years old this year. made 4 splits with swarm cells.

quevernick
04-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Caught another swarm in Sparta,TN. While I was on the first call I got a call for another swarm. By the time I got home it was already getting dark which was an interesting experience hiving the swarm ;) Hopefully the swarm will still be there in the morning when I go back to pick it up.

USCBeeMan
04-02-2012, 08:32 PM
3/20/12

Cutout at
Two Rivers Mansion
Nashville, TN

USCBeeMan
04-02-2012, 08:33 PM
3/28/12

Cutout in house at
Frankewing, TN (near TN/AL state line)

USCBeeMan
04-02-2012, 08:34 PM
3/30/12

Cutout in column of building @

MTSU
Murfreesboro, TN

USCBeeMan
04-02-2012, 08:36 PM
3/31/12

Swarm at apiary on a farm
Aprox. 5 pounds

Murfreesboro, TN

USCBeeMan
04-02-2012, 08:37 PM
4/01/12

Swarm at apiary at my home
Aprox 3 pounds

Murfreesboro, TN

USCBeeMan
04-02-2012, 08:40 PM
4/01/12

Swarm at a home
Aprox 10 pounds

Thompsons Station, TN

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/tngamecockfan/Swarm%20at%20New%20Port%20Royal%20RD%20-%20Thompsons%20Station/

USCBeeMan
04-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Have 3 more cutouts to work/schedule.

Rader Sidetrack
04-03-2012, 04:00 PM
A swarm moved into one of my traps in 37743 Greeneville TN 4/1/12. Daytime temps in the 70s

quevernick
04-04-2012, 06:53 AM
Grabbed another swarm 4/3/2012 from cookeville,tn 38501. The biggest nastiest swarm I've yet to catch. Had to add a third 8 frame medium to get them to go inside :) Hopefully they'll calm down though.

USCBeeMan
04-04-2012, 09:19 PM
4/4/12
Murfreesboro, TN

Swarm from tree that I had seen growing on the outside of the tree for days. Yesterday the bees spanded 3' on the outside of the tree. Got back over there this afternoon. Found swarm in a nearby tree. Around 5 pounds of bees. Using a 5-frame nuc with brood comb sprayed with SW/LGO. Cut branches and most of the bees would go back up in the tree. Repeated this process 3 or 4 times. Each time more bees staying in nuc. Finally started tickeling the bees with my glove until I would have a large amount of bees on my glove and take them down to the nuc. Cut one more limb and then tickeled the bees with the limb getting a lot of them on it and took them down to the nuc.

Still could not get them all down. Went back at nightfall only to find around 1 - 1 1/2 pounds of bees still up in the tree with the rest of them still in the nuc. Calls for storms tonight. Guess those bees will get really wet.

Wonder if there are 2 queens in the swarm. 1 in the nuc and the other in the tree with the smaller amount of bees. Have captured swarms before that had at least 3 queens in the swarm.

If not raining tomorrow, will bring nuc home with/without the bees in the tree.

Will then start up a trapout on this tree to get the bees still in the tree.

Update: Bees back in tree this AM (04/05). Finally got them out of tree into using an 8-frame setup and a crocus sack to continuously bring the bees down and shake them into hive. Put the crocus sack over the limb the bees wanted to go back to then cut that part of the limb. Took it down in the crocus sack and all is now well.

USCBeeMan
04-05-2012, 02:37 PM
04/05/12
Smyrna, TN

Swarm about 8 pounds and on lowest limb of a nearby tree around 15-20' up. Cut the limb until it slowly came down and touched the ground near the 8-frame hive with 7 brood frames. Used crocus sack to moved bees from branch to hive. More bees than box would handle. Added a medium and continued. Still huge amount of bees on the outside. Cinched up and put it in the back of my PU and took it to an organic farm.

P.S. This is a swarm from a tree I am suppose to cut down to remove the bees. Based on the number of bees at the tree it seems like the bees absconded, not swarmed. Time will tell.

quevernick
04-07-2012, 06:11 PM
4/7/2012 Cookeville, TN 38501 - another swarm in my front yard, unfortunately this one was 25ft up in a pine tree. Still managed to grab it and dropped it in my remaining 2 boxes, really need to get to work making more.

SteveBee
04-16-2012, 10:25 AM
4/15, Lebanon, TN. Got there two minutes after the bees left.

AuntBee
04-20-2012, 07:05 PM
Found a very large swarm hanging from one of my top bar hives yesterday, 4/19/2012, in Murfreesboro, TN.

I brushed it into an empty Lang box that was ready to be put to use. I checked on it several times today and this afternoon around saw what looked like all the bees take off into the wild blue yonder. About 30 minutes later a huge pile of bees was on the ground in front of the box, but no bees were left inside it. So I guess the swarm from yesterday split into two swarms.

Anyway, I put a cardboard box with LGO in it upside down on top of the pile of bees in the grass. While I was waiting to see if they would go up into the box, I opened a TBH and found a comb of new eggs. I cut it up to fit into two frames, put the two frames into the Lang box, dumped the now full cardboard box of bees into the Lang box and they seemed to be content to stay there. They started fanning so I guess I got the queen, but I couldn't see her. A large number of bees were still on the ground so I put the cardboard box back over them, caught some more, and dumped them into the Lang as well. Hopefully, they'll stay this time.

If you're interested, yesterday's catch is linked here (http://youtu.be/ygfBPIa1W6c), and here (http://youtu.be/iwYPXWno3D8) and when I finish this post, I plan to upload a video of today's events.

SteveBee
04-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Came home today to find a swarm hanging on the leg of a hive stand. About 3-4 lbs. Cloudy, 66 degrees, Murfreesboro, TN. They are now their old next door neighbors, or something.

buhbee
04-26-2012, 04:15 AM
Spotted and captured a 5 lb. swarm about ten feet above ground in a cedar tree around 2:00 PM. The WX was mostly sunny, 82F and breezy with possible storms 12 hours off. This yard is located in 37090, approx. 25 miles east of Nashville, TN. The swarm probably came from our TBH (Italians, our only hive in this yard not containing mongrels) sitting 40 ft. away.

buhbee
04-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Caught a decent sized swarm ... in a bluebird box yesterday

DANG! I'd hate to see the size of the bluebirds in Blacksburg. :eek:

AuntBee
04-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Caught yet another swarm yesterday (4/28/12) from my own TBH that I started on March 13. This is the third (maybe 4th) swarm from it in the past 10 days. I happened to be out checking on my hives when it swarmed this time, so I watched it take off and land in a lilac bush about 5 feet from the hive, maybe 4 feet off the ground. I shook it into a Lang box that had been in a tree in the front yard where I was attempting to use it as a bait hive.

SteveBee
05-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Lebanon, TN. Caught a 3 lb. swarm about ten feet up on a hackberry branch. Mid 80s and sprinkling rain. They barely got settled on their branch before they were in our swarm bucket and then installed in a brand new cedar Warre hive. Here are some pictures.

http://honeysunapiary.wordpress.com/news/

PeteBridwell
05-18-2012, 10:32 AM
One of my hives swarmed last week and set up house in a hollow tree about 40 feet above ground. Today, they apparently decided to move again and are currently clustered out on a branch...also 40 feet overhead. Wish I could reach them. I've set up a couple of boxes around the property with old comb and lemongrass oil; maybe I'll get lucky.

Pete
Hendersonville, TN. 37075

NY_BLUES
03-10-2013, 11:17 AM
March 10, 2013
Southern GA

Came down from NY to make early splits and found a 4 pound swarm 15 feet up on a tree branch. Used a 10 foot length of pipe and a cardboard box taped to the pipe to retrieve the swarm. My first of the year, and hopefully not the last.

NY_BLUES
03-10-2013, 12:36 PM
Just caught a 2nd swarm in the same tree as the first, and it was the same size. We werent expecting them to be swarming this soon.

sHeBees
04-14-2013, 03:31 PM
From my suburban TBH:
04-05-2013 - Attempted to swarm out of my hive late evening, I managed to keep them happy until the next day when my hive threw one full (basketball sized) swarm and was going to throw another. A local beek who runs a bee removal company came and got the swarm from a low tree and the cluster from the bottom of my hive. They are now living in a town a few miles away with a very happy beek.
04-14-2013 - One small swarm into a neighbor's tree, has since moved on to another neighbor's tree. Not really sure what to do about it now.....

thenance007
04-21-2013, 04:24 PM
April 13, 2013 - My own hive in Nashville, TN, caught and hived. Have 2 hives, this is the one I did not checkerboard because they were out of stores. The one I checkerboarded using frames of syrup did not swarm.

David LaFerney
04-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Got one today about 2:30 a foot off the ground in a bush - about 4 pounds I would guess. Very well behaved.

EASYBEES
06-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Caught 2-3# swarm in bait hive yesterday 6/4/2013.

Brad Harrison
04-16-2014, 09:04 PM
Swarm SW TN 38372 temps started off 31 this morning reached high of mid 60s found on limb beside hive at 5:00pm. Rest of week will be warming.

EASYBEES
04-25-2014, 04:47 AM
Swarm in bait hive 4/23 in Wilson county probably feral about 3 - 4 lbs. TN 37090

TalonRedding
04-25-2014, 05:54 AM
4/24/14. Had a large swarm come into one of my yards while I was working my bees yesterday. Lit on a cedar branch about 8' off the ground. I just walked over, put a box underneath, and shook them in. I wish they were all that easy!

EASYBEES
04-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Swarm in bait box 4/27 probably feral 37090 Wilson county.

EASYBEES
04-28-2014, 07:34 PM
4/28 bait hive swarm catch feral 37090 Smith county

TN-Beekeeper
04-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Blessed with one last Tuesday. in a swarm catcher in my back yard. Here In Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Only heard of a couple others. The longer colder winter will probably delay this years swarm season a little.
With GOD All Things are possible Matt19-26

EASYBEES
04-29-2014, 08:01 PM
4/29 swarm in bait hive 3-4 lbs. Smith county 37090.

Pathfinder
04-20-2015, 04:02 PM
Chattanooga Tennessee 37379
Just had my first hive swarm on me today. Bummer. Got to watch it happen though.....cool...but still a bummer.

gezellig
04-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Hartsville TN, today 04-27-15😊. About 7 ft of the ground on small oak tree, bent it over and shook them in a Nuc box

lane620
04-30-2015, 06:17 PM
4-29-15 I caught my first swarm.Tennessee

G3farms
04-30-2015, 06:19 PM
4-30-15 first swarm in Knoxville, TN

about a five pounder in a bush about a foot off the ground.

gezellig
05-01-2015, 06:18 PM
Football sized, virgin queen, 4pm, sunny, 70 degrees in middle tennesse.

gezellig
05-02-2015, 08:07 PM
Sunny Dixon Springs, TN, about 75 degrees, 25 feet up in a maple tree. The owner has a big farm and she listed me up on a tow motor. She had seen then fly in and cluster. No known close beekeepers.

popeye
05-03-2015, 08:25 AM
Hornbeak,Tn. 38232. May 1, 2015. About a 2-3 lb swarm. Caught in a 15" double fiber pot hanging in a tree 15' up on rope. Used lgo and melted old dark comb inside. A friend from church just starting out this year got them the day they moved in. He really liked getting his first (easy) catch using my trap I hung behind our fellowship building.

gezellig
05-03-2015, 07:37 PM
3:10pm, sunny, Hartsville,TN, witnessed the swarm emerge from the hive, settled about 30ft away about 6 inches off the ground in a bush. Sat a hive near and and they marched in.

gezellig
05-12-2015, 07:46 AM
5lb'er, 3pm in Hartsville, TN, mothers day. Had three queens in it.

gezellig
05-17-2015, 08:07 PM
Hartsville tn, 10am 5/17/15, 30 ft up into a tree and couldn't be lured down. Bypassed a pulp trap and a deep brood box, left about 5pm

jhinshaw
05-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Weather: Average of 75-80 daytime highs, some storms
Swarm Date: 05/18/15
Swarm Originated From: My hive :(

gezellig
06-03-2015, 05:44 AM
Lebanon, TN 06/02/15, initially swarmed on a bush 06/01/15, pranksters knocked it to the ground with a basketball, but they stayed clustered, about 4lb.

MattJen
06-03-2015, 11:33 AM
Swarm came May 31 in the rain. Placed a hive (one box, 10 frames) in a tree in the front yard about 7 ft off ground. I haven't moved them yet to say how big swarm is. (I am new to bee keeping this is my second year so I am not sure I would be a good judge of saying how big the swarm is anyway. Looks to be a good size.) Plan on moving them to permanent location tomorrow.

popeye
06-08-2015, 04:53 PM
June 8,2015
38232 Hornbeam,Tn.
Swarm in trap,maybe 3-4 lbs.

lane620
06-23-2015, 08:27 PM
I caught a swarm today 6-23-15 in white pine,tn

gezellig
07-05-2015, 07:41 PM
Today 7-5-15, near nashville. 2:30pm, first hour of any sunshine in at least four days. Have had over four inches of rain in three days. Source was one of my hives, and it had swarmed once this year. This queen is only around two months mated.
Cluster was small, bigger than a grapefruit but not as big as a cantaloupe. They clustered in the hive stand only about 6 ft away.
The problem is this, as they started moving into a Nuc box I placed on the stand, robbers from a feral hive came into the bee yard. Quite a bit of confusion and carnage ensued. The queen was in the Nuc, but so were robbers. I closed them up and hope they all become a family.

lesterP
07-14-2015, 09:21 PM
7/14/15, 37917 5lb swarm on bottom of deep 8ft in walnut tree. Arrived between 6 & 7 AM. 74 degrees with approaching thunderstorms & high winds. Origin unknown.

gezellig
07-19-2015, 08:46 PM
7-17-15, very small swarm with a virgin Queen. Only about the size of a baseball.

skidmld
10-01-2015, 04:30 PM
9/29/15
Greenback, Tn. 37743
Clear and sunny, Temp. about 70
5:00 PM
baseball sized
Put in a 5 frame Med. Nuc. with 2 frames of uncapped Honey and 1 frame of capped brood. Robbing started and all the honey was taken. I moved the Nuc. to my Mother-in-laws place
Started feeding, and will see what happens

gezellig
10-20-2015, 03:39 PM
2lb feral swarm, near nashville 10-17-15, 36 degrees when found 930am, third feral colony found on the same limb this year, unbelievable this late

Barry
02-09-2016, 11:01 AM
What is needed:

zip code, city or county
date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.

tnfiddler
04-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Caught my 1st swarm of the 2016 season.
37660, Kingsport, 4-10-16

TalonRedding
04-10-2016, 07:24 PM
4/10/16
Came home after church and found a small swarm from one of the ones behind the house. Put them in a box and they went right back to where they came from which still had lots of bees and crammed full with eggs and brood. Way too early for this behavior and I am not even feeding. Queen cups with eggs. :eek:

TalonRedding
04-11-2016, 04:28 PM
4/11/16
Got a call about a swarm in a tulip tree. 6 lbs or so of bees. Nice prime swarm.

buddey99
04-13-2016, 08:59 PM
4/13/16
37153 Murfreesboro
Swarm, Lilkley from my hives- possibly a NUC. Maybe 3 pounds if bees. Already have had queen cells. Guess we are about 2-3 weeks early

gezellig
04-14-2016, 04:10 AM
Received a call from a farmer of a feral swarm on Tiesday 4-12-16, about shoulder high, nice sized swarm.

gezellig
04-14-2016, 04:14 AM
4-13-16, witnessed one of my hives issue a swarm, went to the top of a cedar tree, clustered for about 15 min, then suddenly returned to the same hive. Upon inspection, was going to split, found a virgin queen walking the frames piping.

tnfiddler
04-15-2016, 06:58 PM
Caught my second swarm today from one of my hives. This one was on a log in the woods. I put a frame of brood from another hive into the box and placed the hive body on the ground next to the log. Went back before dark and they had all went in
37760, Kingsport

tnfiddler
04-16-2016, 01:59 PM
Swarm #3 today. Very large swarm on Apple tree on front of the hive. My wife video'ed it.I don't know how to post video.
Kingsport

Gilli_in_TN
04-21-2016, 08:45 AM
Swarm #2 Knoxville area. Moved into a stack of deep boxes with mixed frames it them this AM.24143

jsnider
04-22-2016, 05:00 PM
4/14/16, 37323 Cleveland, TN. Caught 2-3 lb swarm in baited box 1 foot off the ground. Not from my bees. Really nice and industrious bees.

Coach B
04-30-2016, 01:46 AM
4/27/16 Marshall County, TN Medium sized swarm from one of my hives. Landed in an apple tree approx 40 feet away.

skidmld
05-13-2016, 09:28 PM
5/12/16 Had a swarm move into a swarm trap sometime between 5/4 and 5/12. I was out of town and I don't know the exact date they moved in.

shannonswyatt
05-31-2016, 05:58 AM
~5/25/16 Swarm moved into a TBH trap that had been set a few years back, and was last baited about a year ago. Maybe two pounds, making nice straight comb.

skidmld
06-10-2016, 05:00 AM
6/8/16 Nice swarm that filled 2 Medium boxes. They had already moved under a building and they were between the floor joists. I used a bee Vac. to get them out.

skidmld
07-18-2016, 05:47 PM
7/16/16 A swarm landed on my brother-in-law's boat trailer. It was an easy catch using the bee vac.

TN_Beekeeper
07-22-2016, 10:55 AM
Brentwood, TN

I was called to pick up a swarm in Crieve Hall off Harding on Tuesday (7-19-16) and one off Split Log Rd on Thursday (7-21-16). Both looked like Italians and both were similar in size. Maybe 20,000 bees, roughly twice what you get from a package.

Bolichsbees
08-16-2016, 09:05 PM
Caught a swarm today in Alexandria, TN in a friends yard. Was outside most of the day, went inside for an hour, and when I was preparing to leave, saw a small volleyball size swarm in the front yard apple tree.

Snatched it up! 😃🐝🐝

jsnider
08-30-2016, 06:26 PM
8/30/16 at 6:30 PM. Bradley County, TN. Saw a swarm fly onto a tree above three of my hives. About a 2 lb swarm. Went and got some supplies to catch them with. When I got back they had moved another 20 foot up and it was starting to get dark. I just baited a couple of boxes and we will see what happens. I just inspected all of my hives last week and no queen cells seen then and the bees were not flying from my hives, so they must bee feral or someone else's

Tangell88
09-04-2016, 10:40 AM
9/4/16 Sumner county TN found a swarm in a trap I left out. May have been there a few days

Gilli_in_TN
03-23-2017, 07:37 PM
Volley ball size swarm 3ft off the ground in Seymour, TN. Feral colony was about 12 ft away in a cedar tree.

Gilli_in_TN
03-26-2017, 10:15 AM
Got a secondary swarm yesterday it off the same tree.31781

Spur9
04-01-2017, 06:48 PM
4/1/17

Marion/Hamilton County

Hived a swarm today. On an oak tree 40ft from my hives.

Spur9
04-02-2017, 07:05 PM
4/2/17

Marion/Hamilton County

Hived another swarm today. On an apple tree 20ft from my hives.

Tangell88
04-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Had a swarm move into a trap near my hives today. May have been from one of my own. Also saw bees checking out my other two traps further away. Must be a good swarmy day

jsnider
04-10-2017, 07:19 AM
4/8/17
Etowah, TN McMinn County
Caught a large prime swarm from one of my hives. Landed right behind the hive on a pine branch. It ended up taking 2 deep and 2 medium nuc boxes to house them. Inspected my other hives and found one more with capped queen cells. I found that queen and split them, she was already slimmed down.3214432145

Spur9
04-14-2017, 01:22 PM
4/11/17

Marion/Hamilton County

Failed to hive this swarm. It put the "suck" in honeysuckle vines

Spur9
04-14-2017, 01:23 PM
4/13/17

Marion/Hamilton County

Hived this swarm

Spur9
04-21-2017, 07:16 AM
4/20/17

Marion/Hamilton County

Hived a swarm about 15 feet up an oak tree. Sprayed them with sugar water to keep them from flying off. Used lemongrass oil to entice them to move into the box. Probably 3-4 pounds.

jsnider
04-21-2017, 05:44 PM
4/19/17
McMinn County, Etowah

Another swarm from one of my hives. I took the queen from this hive over a week ago when I saw swarm cells. I was checking on them and saw a new queen emerge. A couple of minutes later bees were pouring out and going to the tree. They ended up moving into one of my traps.32468

Bolichsbees
04-21-2017, 07:56 PM
Did you have multiple queens hatch?

I had the same thing happen on a Thursday, only they landed on a bush behind me. I hived them and they've stayed, but plan to go out to the yard on Monday and see if another queen is present in the original hive.

jsnider
04-24-2017, 07:52 PM
325654/24/17
McMinn County, Etowah

I did have multiple queens hatch. The swarm moved back into the original hive. Today they swarmed again high up in a pine tree.

Spur9
04-24-2017, 08:28 PM
4/24/17
Marion/Hamilton County

2nd swarm hived from an apple tree in our backyard. A bit tougher to hive compared to the first one on 4/2. They were about 10 feet up and wrapped around the trunk.

Tangell88
04-25-2017, 07:16 PM
Ive had three swarms move into traps on my property within the last week. And scouts checking out my last trap today. Sumner county

Slow Drone
05-09-2017, 05:59 PM
4/20/17 2 swarms out of a maple tree 30 ft. up in Nashville TN. 5/9/17 11:30 am 6 pound swarm Dickson TN 15 ft. up in a pine tree.

Spur9
05-31-2017, 03:20 PM
5/18/17
Marion/Hamilton County

3rd swarm hived from an apple tree in our backyard. Came home early from work to load the car for a get-a-way with the wife. She had to give me 30 minutes to get this bunch in a box.

jsnider
06-13-2017, 07:37 AM
6/12/17
McMinn County, Etowah
I noticed since the sourwood started blooming, a double 5 frame deep nuc was bearding heavily. When I got home yesterday they were bearding so I went to get a nuc box to split them and 5 minutes later I heard the swarm. They went 30 feet up into this tree. About 4 hours later they flew right past one of my baited traps towards the mountain. 33832

Slow Drone
07-23-2017, 02:21 PM
7/23/2017 Dickson TN swarm in old equipment unknown origin 12:55 pm.

Spur9
07-23-2017, 08:02 PM
7/22/17 - Marion county.

Swarm in my apple tree (4th one this year in that tree). Believe it was a supersedure. Maybe a couple of pounds of bees. Got them in a 10 frame and will check in a few days.

Spur9
07-27-2017, 11:36 PM
7/27/17 - Marion County

Grapefruit size swarm on a fence post tonight. Able to spot the queen and get her in a cage. Hived most of the bees and left the queen in the cage overnight. Will deal with it tomorrow.

Slow Drone
08-02-2017, 09:04 PM
8/2/2017 Dickson TN small swarm out of a Maple tree unknown origin 12:30 pm.

Spur9
03-31-2018, 05:52 PM
3/31 - Marion County

Tennessee's Bees LLC
03-31-2018, 07:14 PM
3/31 - Marion County

Looks like someone should have added another box

PepperBeeMan
04-01-2018, 12:59 PM
Caught a swarm 10 mins ago. Cloudy, slightly rainy day. Basketball sized in a leftover Christmas tree.

PepperBeeMan
04-01-2018, 01:00 PM
Looks like someone should have added another box

I'm wondering if the hive I posted about yesterday swarmed today. Well, I caught it, for now, if that's the case.

Tennessee's Bees LLC
04-01-2018, 05:03 PM
Maybe. Swarms that size this time of year build very quickly and draw comb like nobody's business.

jsnider
04-30-2018, 08:17 PM
4/27/18
37331 Etowah, TN
Caught a volleyball sized swarm, probably from one of my hives. Had to get a ladder and cut the branch out of the tree they were in. They are still in the box after 3 days.

Tennessee's Bees LLC
04-30-2018, 08:47 PM
Lure caught swarm 5-6 frames of bees. (not within 6 miles of one of my yards)

popeye
05-18-2018, 01:29 PM
5/15/18
38232 Hornbeak in Obion County
Swarm moved into empty ten frame box I had in yard. A good chance it came from one of my hives that I removed all the queen cells from a few days before? I'll find out soon.

Tennessee's Bees LLC
03-16-2019, 05:52 PM
Swarm Caught 3/16/19 north middle TN! After shake, they covered bout 8 frames.

Matt903
03-23-2019, 08:19 PM
Swarm caught today, around six pounds of bees. Southeast TN, one of the earliest ones I've ever seen.

Tennessee's Bees LLC
03-23-2019, 08:46 PM
Nice Matt! My buddy outside of Memphis caught one in his old equipment! I guess they are REALLY hitting early this year!

Live Oak
03-24-2019, 10:06 AM
The Red Bud tree buds are just starting to open up and bloom. That should kick the nectar flow up a notch.

Spur9
03-24-2019, 09:02 PM
Got home from church today and had a swarm waiting on me. Thought I might have a double swarm at first, but they joined together after a minute or so.

Spur9
03-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Swarm #2 for 2019. Went home today at lunch and they were hanging on the same tree as Sunday’s swarm. Shook them in a box and left to move this evening.

PepperBeeMan
04-04-2019, 02:55 PM
4/2/19 Murfreesboro TN (middle)

Swarmed from overwintered hive from 2018 Swarm. Hive was in 8 frame deep + 2 meds.

Installed swarm in double deep 8 frame. Reduced entrance and placed board leaned against the front to encourage orientation. Day 2, increased entrance to 3in and removed board.

Day 3 (today) they're bringing in pollen and coming and going quickly. Fed 1 quart of syrup to get ahead of rain tonight and tomorrow.

Bluto
04-05-2019, 08:05 AM
Got 2 swarm calls within 10 minutes of each other 4/3. Got one wrapped in a folded up fence in East Lake section of Chattanooga. While working it, I received a call the other swarm had flown off. The swarm I got was about soccer ball sized and in an older section of town.

Jmb4wd
04-07-2019, 09:04 AM
4-2-19
This hive is a swarm I caught in may of 18. I came home to a large cluster on outside of the hive body. I'm a novice but they had overwinter really well so I'm assuming they just ran out of room. I swept swarm into another deep hive body.

Spur9
04-08-2019, 07:26 AM
Swarm #3 (4/6) in a loblolly pine. Shook half the bees in the box and the other half on me. Feel good that I have the queen because after 30 minutes, they were all on the box. I was working in my beeyard when I heard the buzz. I saw which hive they came out of. Later I went into the hive and left 2 capped queen cells. Made 2 splits with the other queen cells that I found.

Spur9
04-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Swarm #4 (4/7) in another pine tree.

This one was not enjoyable. Tree was about 5 feet off the bluff. Ended up taping a 12 foot painter’s pole and 20 foot painter’s pole together. Used some 1x1 inch pieces of wood for splints. Taped a 5 gallon bucket on the end. I had about 3 feet to play with. Estimate the bees were 25+ feet off the ground.

I snaked the bucket up thru the limbs and was able to knock the main clump of bees in. Spent the next 20 minutes working the bucket back down. Weight of the bees resulted in the last extension rod bending over every branch on the way down.

When that bucket came of the last limb, the momentum of the rod bowing caused me to fall back into a pile of pine brush. Luck would have it that poison oak vines were everywhere. Gonna feel real good in a day or so.

The bucket caught a sapling and spilled the bees all on the ground. Leaves, wood debris, and poison oak - yippee! I carried my hive box down to the pile of bees and was able to get several handfuls of bees in the box.

Saw the queen in the pile but couldn’t get her caged. She marched in at some point and I was able to cage her inside the box. Remaining bees flew into another pine tree even higher. Went and got the extension ladder for them. 3 bucket dumps later and the girls were home.

Tennessee's Bees LLC
04-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Swarm #4 (4/7) in another pine tree.

This one was not enjoyable. Tree was about 5 feet off the bluff. Ended up taping a 12 foot painter’s pole and 20 foot painter’s pole together. Used some 1x1 inch pieces of wood for splints. Taped a 5 gallon bucket on the end. I had about 3 feet to play with. Estimate the bees were 25+ feet off the ground.

I snaked the bucket up thru the limbs and was able to knock the main clump of bees in. Spent the next 20 minutes working the bucket back down. Weight of the bees resulted in the last extension rod bending over every branch on the way down.

When that bucket came of the last limb, the momentum of the rod bowing caused me to fall back into a pile of pine brush. Luck would have it that poison oak vines were everywhere. Gonna feel real good in a day or so.

The bucket caught a sapling and spilled the bees all on the ground. Leaves, wood debris, and poison oak - yippee! I carried my hive box down to the pile of bees and was able to get several handfuls of bees in the box.

Saw the queen in the pile but couldn’t get her caged. She marched in at some point and I was able to cage her inside the box. Remaining bees flew into another pine tree even higher. Went and got the extension ladder for them. 3 bucket dumps later and the girls were home.

Ah! What we do for bees! Nice catch! Hope you don't break out with poison ivy. I would rather have 2 dozen stings than that any day of the week

Spur9
04-09-2019, 08:28 PM
Swarm #5 (4/9). In the same loblolly pine as Saturday's swarm. I had hung a pill bottle off a limb Sunday with some swarm commander inside. They were all over it. Happy for that because I didn’t have to use a pole or tall ladder. Easy pull on the limb and that was it. Put them in an 8 frame box.

jsnider
04-10-2019, 08:18 AM
4744347445Athens, TN 4/9/18

Got a swarm call at a park. Got there and found out the bees were in a tree. Well I only brought a ladder and some boxes. I had nothing to do a trap out with. On the brink of leaving and coming back another day with the proper equipment, I decided to try and smoke them out since the guy said they weren't there 3 days before. I smoked the bees out of the tree for a couple of hours and put some LG oil in my box. A lot of bees were moving in but there was a clump clinging to the tree. I scooped them up and put them at the entrance and then I spotted the queen running on the tree. I got her and put her in. The rest of the bees marched in. Praise the Lord.

Spur9
04-12-2019, 07:29 PM
Swarm #6 (4/12) in my favorite loblolly pine. Pill bottle with swarm commander is doing its job. Easy peasy.

Spur9
04-12-2019, 07:32 PM
Swarm #7 (4/12) in a sneaky area. Almost didn’t see this one. Few frames of drawn comb did the trick.

Spur9
04-12-2019, 07:36 PM
Swarm #8 (4/12) in the nosebleed section. I saw the queen on the ground after the first bucket pull. Helped her into the box. Leaving it there overnight.

Spur9
04-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Swarm #9 (4/16) in guess what???? Yep, the loblolly pine. On the pill bottle with swarm commander inside.

Spur9
04-16-2019, 09:06 PM
Swarm #10 (4/16) a hedge thicket where I’ve hived a couple of earlier swarms this year. I hung another pill bottle with swarm commander inside.

Spur9
04-19-2019, 04:56 AM
Swarm #11 (4/17) in loblolly pine. On the pill bottle with swarm commander inside. Put them in a 5 frame nuc.

Spur9
04-19-2019, 04:58 AM
Swarm #12 (4/17) on the hedge thicket where I hung another pill bottle with swarm commander inside. May be my largest to date.

Spur9
04-19-2019, 05:01 AM
Swarm #13 (4/17) on a hedge thicket where I had a swarm last year. Glad they are staying down low! Just shook these in a 5 gallon bucket and poured in an 8 frame hive.

Spur9
04-22-2019, 10:01 PM
Swarm #14 (4/21) wrapped around a trash tree. Ended up using a strap and tractor to pull the tree over enough to shake into a bucket. Caught the queen in a clip and gave them a frame of eggs to entice them to stay.

Spur9
04-22-2019, 10:04 PM
Swarm #15 (4/22) off the bluff. On a horizontal limb so I was able to use a bucket and pole to get them. Saw the queen go into the box while it was on the ground. Set on some blocks until tomorrow.

jsnider
04-24-2019, 07:43 AM
4/19/19
37331, Etowah
Caught a swarm in an old trap with a rat nest in it and infested with wax moth cacoons. No LG oil or swarm commander.

jsnider
04-24-2019, 07:46 AM
4/23/19
37331, Etowah
Caught another swarm in an old wax moth infested trap. This one did have swarm commander recently sprayed. Not sure why the bees are picking the fixer uppers over the move in ready traps but it works for me.

Bolichsbees
04-26-2019, 09:36 PM
Swarms popping up everywhere, only able to get to 4 or 5 in the past few days.

1. Followed, but lost a swarm that was flying through a field (Lebanon, TN)
2. Caught and hived a swarm hanging on one of my swarm traps. 2lb swarm (Lebanon, TN)
3. Swarm moved into vacant equipment in my Watertown, TN beeyard 2lbs
4. Hived swarm caught in trap in Watertown, TN 2lbs

Spur9
04-29-2019, 11:41 AM
Swarm #16 (4/27) in the loblolly pine tree. I was mowing the adjacent field and saw them head towards the pill bottle. Shook them in a nuc box due to size of swarm. Moved them to a stand this morning.

Spur9
05-04-2019, 05:04 PM
Deleted due to pic rotation.

Spur9
05-04-2019, 05:20 PM
Swarm #17 (5/3) in the loblolly pine tree. Came home from work early to grill chicken as requested by the wife. Guests coming over to eat got a nice treat watching me shake them in a box. Couldn’t wait due to nasty weather on its way.

Inspected them after the storms on Saturday. Already pulling comb. Saw the queen. Gave them a half gallon of 2:1.

e-spice
05-05-2019, 08:51 PM
Maybe it was the strength of my hives coming out of winter but this has been the worst swarming year I've ever experienced in five years of beekeeping.

Spur9
06-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Swarm #18 (6/15) - in the loblolly pine tree. Got back in town from vacation late Saturday. Glad I decided to walk up to the bee yard that evening. I shook them in a box with 10 frames of comb taken from a dead out. The frames had some shb damage. I scraped out the really nasty sections.

rtaylor
03-19-2020, 02:37 PM
Well my strongest hive swarmed today. Luckily I saw it and was able to catch the swarm. I thought for sure splitting that hive 3 weeks ago would have kept them from swarming. Oh well I'm learning every day.

JWPalmer
03-19-2020, 04:58 PM
You have to split out the queen and destroy all but two qc's already started. Learned that lesson last year.

Tennessee's Bees LLC
03-28-2020, 08:45 AM
Caught a swarm on accident https://youtu.be/LnsDkqa8TZk

rtaylor
03-30-2020, 08:21 AM
Well I had another one escape. Last week I opened the outside of the brood nest and didn't see any queen cups. Well the queen left yesterday with half the hive and there are plenty of queen cups now.