New Jersey [Archive] - Beesource Beekeeping Forums

View Full Version : New Jersey

CWBees
05-23-2007, 01:01 PM
I had 1 swarm on Saturday the 19th.
2 swarms on Monday the 21st and
1 swarm today Wednesday the 23rd.

I have yet to catch one of them. They are Russian bees that handle the mites well as far as I can see so I hope they make it as feral bees.

CWBees
06-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Had another swarm today of Russian bees and was not quick enough to catch them before they left my yard.

xen
05-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Picked up a nice swarm in Rahway N.J. 3-5 lbs. 60 degrees partly sunny May 1 08

xen
05-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Picked up swarm today May9 08 Shorthills N.J. rain heavy at times 55 small 2 lbs. Missed at least two others last week could not get out to the location in time

HobbyBeek
05-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Northwest New Jersey: Swarm on May 1st... captured!

Eddie Honey
05-25-2012, 08:44 PM
I captured my own swarm on May 12 2012 in S Jersey

Swarm_King
06-14-2014, 05:53 AM
Hi All -
I've been combing the threads trying to "watch" the swarming season creep up from the south.
Seems like we're getting close.
As you start seeing swarms in your area perhaps you might reply to this thread so we can track the season?

A simple post of your location, weather, origin of swarm if known, and date would be great.

Thanks in advance!
-Erin

Bridgewater, New Jersey
Temp-70's to low 80's
mild rain week
June 7th to June 14th'
Swarm date June 12th
my yard most likely'
Swarm type-most likely house keeping swarm/

Google NW NJ Beekeepers and check out swarm date/ We are using swarm dates to work on Spring Management to do swarm prevention. We are attempting to use grow degree days and do such things as checker boarding, splits, nucs, and chart brood cycles for mite management, and also development of drone. Would like to point out the good works of Walt Wright and also Mike Palmer who seem to point out the path to hive management opportunities. Hey with the bees, its not one way or the other way-its their way we seek to understand and why/

Barry
02-09-2016, 10:54 AM
What is needed:

zip code, city or county
date when the bees swarmed or when you found the swarm.
comments - example: if the swarm came from your hive, or if you were called to pick up a swarm, how long was it there. This is not for cutouts unless the bees just took up residence and are not established. It would also be great to include a small photo of the swarm.

This forum is not for general discussion.

SciFiLover84
04-28-2016, 02:38 PM
My bee mentor told me 5 of her hives swarmed on April 25th. And my next door neighbor found this beauty in her garden shed today. I captured them and earned myself another colony!

mdohertyjr
05-24-2016, 12:34 PM
Atlantic County
5/23/16
comments - Come from the same hive that swarmed about two weeks ago. Went to the same exact tree/branches.

I know where I am going to put a swarm box next year :)

Scrambles927
06-14-2017, 11:10 PM
Swarm date: June 12, 2017

Source of swarm: Most likely one of my new package colonies hived late April this year.

Notes: This was the second hive to swarm in a week. Both hives originated from 2017 packages, both of which built up quickly. While they both had a deep brood box and a medium super as a second brood chamber, AND a shallow super (as the flow seems to have been heavy in recent weeks) with queen excluder in-between the medium and the shallow, "arrivederci!" anyway.

This is only my second year, and I am still learning, obviously. My novice explanation for the two swarms: Being only a few weeks old, I had left the entrance reducers on both, one with the larger entrance and the other, less "busting" hive with the small entrance. It got very hot here for several days--including in the 90s when the second swarm decamped, and I am prepared to guess that the hive became intolerable from a ventilation perspective. Having said that, wouldn't you think that if that were the case that ALL of the bees would have absconded (rather than cast a swarm)? Maybe with a big chunk of the bees gone, the remaining bees had all the ventilation they needed.

Thoughts will drive future action, so let me know what you think. Thanks.

Clarkwestfied
05-29-2019, 08:34 PM
May 20th my nuc swarmed out. Didn’t catch them.

Added a second deep box 8 days earlier, but they flew away regardless.