Can You Identify This Famous Person in the History of Beekeeping? [Archive] - Beesource Beekeeping Forums

View Full Version : Can You Identify This Famous Person in the History of Beekeeping?

naturebee
02-07-2016, 02:19 PM
Hello Friends,

His birthday is coming up so I wanted to get started on this project.

Can You Identify This Famous Person in the History of Beekeeping?

Click on image link below:

Subscribe to this post, I will give one or two clues each day

1st Clue: This person was a famous Zoologist in Europe.

Thanks to my friends Peter Borst and Mike Griggs from Cornell
for all their generous help providing me with the biography and
information about this person including portraits, which were
extremely obscure and hard to find.

BTW,,, the aforementioned are excluded from the contest,
as they know who he is. ;)

Joe
https://www.facebook.com/Historical.Honeybee.Articles/

Phoebee
02-07-2016, 04:04 PM
I think I know the answer but I'll keep mum and let the fun continue.

whiskers
02-07-2016, 05:35 PM
Watching- Bill

naturebee
02-08-2016, 05:12 AM
2nd Clue: He was a Russian scientist who made an important
discovery in the biology of the bee in 1883, however he was
not a beekeeper.

AR Beekeeper
02-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Nikolai Nasonov, who discovered Nasonov's glan in the honey bee.

Slow Drone
02-08-2016, 02:22 PM

:thumbsup:

naturebee
02-08-2016, 03:36 PM

YES it is Nikolai Nasonov.

I will have his biography on his birthday February 14.

"The scent organ of a worker honeybee lies on the dorsal surface of the abdomen, at the front edge of the last abdominal segment. It consists of several hundred gland cells. The Nasonov gland was named after the Russian scientist who first described it, in 1883. -Honeybee Democracy By Thomas D. Seeley 2010

Nasonov pheromone are emitted by the worker bees and used for orientation. Known as the "come and join us" scent. Nasonov includes a number of different terpenoids including geraniol, nerolic acid, citral and geranic acid. Bees use these to find the entrance to their colony or hive, and they release them on flowers so other bees know which flowers have nectar.Nasonov pheromone in synthetic form should be 2:1 ratio of citral and geraniol. It consists of glandular cells which secrete pheromone through c. 600 ducts into a groove between the 6th and 7th tergite.Honeybees release this pheromone for attracting other bees to join the swarm,to mark the entrance to the hive, to mark a source of water while foraging.

Phoebee
02-08-2016, 03:46 PM
This was not my guess. Based on the first clue, the person who popped into my mind was Charles Darwin, born 12 February 1809. The birthday fit, and Darwin kept bees and wrote about comb-building. He fits the first clue but that's the risk of answering too soon. But still, yet another clever fellow inspired by bees.

http://www.charlesdarwintrust.org/userfiles/uploaded/Files/Resources/KS3_M1_Bees_Booklet_V5.pdf

Michael Palmer
02-08-2016, 03:47 PM
YES it is Nikolai Nasonov.

I will have his biography on his birthday February 14.

Ya gotta watch them Valentine birthday boys. :) What year? Me...1949

winevines
02-08-2016, 05:25 PM

Happy Birthday my friend.. and enjoy the next adventure

Michael Palmer
02-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Hi-O Silver...

Oldtimer
02-08-2016, 08:12 PM
Yup, New Zealand and a stay in the wilds of the Waitakere Ranges with OT next month!

Michael Palmer
02-09-2016, 04:37 AM
Looking forward to it OT. Since you're in the southern hemisphere, do the bees fly upside down? When I see the Southern Cross for the first time, I'll know why it was that I went that way. :) Color me excited.

Oldtimer
02-09-2016, 06:38 AM
How the bees directional skills seem do you depend what you been drinking and where you staying really is pretty wild. Currently 8 dogs in the house they are for wild boar hunting, friendly to people though. Their owners are just as scary but you will enjoy. :) Yes we'll be working bees just depending on your schedule and there is at least one woman in the house to keep your wife entertained.

Vance G
02-13-2016, 10:05 AM

You have to really be old if you were born in the first half of the last century.

Michael Palmer
02-13-2016, 11:34 AM
I'm feelin' the Bern

Phoebee
02-13-2016, 11:45 AM
You have to really be old if you were born in the first half of the last century.

Hey, I only missed that distinction by 3 years! Although, come to think about it, there were people alive when I was born who had lived thru the Civil War, so ... ah ... oh, my aching joints!

Phoebee
02-14-2016, 10:23 AM
Our local purveyor of bee supplies now informs us that St. Valentine is the patron saint of beekeepers. A little of searching confirms internet accounts of this, so of course it MUST be so. Looking at the murky history of Valentine, even the Pope who declared today to be his feast day does not seem to have known just what he was supposed to have done, so I guess the internet can guess just as well as anyone.

For my own part, my wife gave me a Valentine with bees on it, before she read this tidbit, so that must be some kind of Sign, right?

Colobee
02-15-2016, 05:04 PM

Me, 1954...