Centuries Old Belief that Bees Can Predict the Weather ~ Scientifically Proven True. [Archive] - Beesource Beekeeping Forums

View Full Version : Centuries Old Belief that Bees Can Predict the Weather ~ Scientifically Proven True.

naturebee
02-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Centuries Old Belief that Bees Can Predict the Weather is Scientifically Proven to be True.

Many of the ancient writers like Aristotle, Virgil and Pliny, considered bees to be able
to predict the weather. For centuries, this ancient knowledge was assumed to be folklore.
Over 2,000 years later, researchers have scientifically proven it to be true.

Trackers reveal that honeybees forecast the weather and plan their work day accordingly.
RFID monitoring indicates honeybees work harder before a rainy day

ABSTRACT

Storms are usually accompanied by a drop in temperature, and an increase in wind and
barometric pressure and rainfall, which have negative impacts on most activities,
survival and reproduction in insects (Gillot, 2005). The majority of studies mainly
focused on how the flight activity of various flying insects such as honeybees, bumble
bees, horse flies and leafminer were directly influenced by intraday weather changes
(Burnett & Hays, 1974; Lundberg, 1980; Casas, 1989; Vicens & Bosch, 2000). However,
accumulating evidences showed that animals can make behavioral changes before storms,
which is enormously important for their survival in severe weather condition. Before
upcoming storms birds unusually chirp and bathe with sand; native frogs croak and hide
their eggs masses; spiders spin shorter and produce thicker webs and wasps hide their
comb before rains (Galacgac & Balisacan, 2009; Acharya, 2011). In early 1893, honeybees
were reported more active before storms (Inwards, 1893). In this study, we compared the
working habits of foragers on days that were followed by a sunny day and those that
followed by a rainy day using the Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) which was
developed and manufactured by the Honeybee Research Institute of Jiangxi Agricultural
University in collaboration with the Guangzhou Invengo Information Technology Co., Ltd.,
and we firstly showed that honeybees worked harder before a rainy day.

See Full Article Here:

RFID monitoring indicates honeybees work harder before a rainy day (PDF Download Available). Available from:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/284714080_RFID_monitoring_indicates_honeybees_work _harder_before_a_rainy_day

Joe
https://www.facebook.com/Historical.Honeybee.Articles

DirtyLittleSecret
02-04-2016, 04:25 PM
I know from experience that they get "pissy" the day before weather is bound to come in...I always figured that was a good enough barometer.

Ravenseye
02-04-2016, 04:26 PM
Post #1 is great. I love it. I can't tell you how many times I've been puzzled over something going on at the entrance only to be surprised at an unexpected change in the weather. I know I'm simplifying what's posted above but, it's all quite humbling.

aunt betty
02-05-2016, 05:52 AM
It is just too logical to not accept that birds and bees have barometers built in. (they do)
I've observed mass movement of birds (waterfowl) before a storm. They all simply fly to the east or something, all at once.
We also have a certain amount of this built into us but have forgotten. Live outside for a few weeks. "It" will come back.
I can feel a storm coming and will pick up and leave from a duck hunt if things don't feel right.

warrior
02-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Anyone who lives close to nature and stock knows this to be the case, science be damned.

redsnow
02-07-2016, 06:43 AM
I agree that game animals, squirrels, deer, turkeys, etc. know when the weather is about to change. Same thing for cattle, they'll feed like crazy before a storm.

I've read basically the same thing about fish. Thinking back, some of my best fishing days, were just before a storm. But that's over my head, I won't speculate.

naturebee
02-07-2016, 02:40 PM
Post #1 is great. I love it. I can't tell you how many times I've been puzzled over something going on at the entrance only to be surprised at an unexpected change in the weather. I know I'm simplifying what's posted above but, it's all quite humbling.

I enjoy illustrating that the ancients had knowledge that is only now, 2000 years later is being proven scientifically. Another example is the use of dust thrown into flying swarms by the ancients, although the ancients were in error about why it worked, it remained until Seeley proved the existence of streaker bees, that the reason why this ancient practice worked was scientifically proven.

Joe

Harley Craig
02-07-2016, 02:50 PM
I agree that game animals, squirrels, deer, turkeys, etc. know when the weather is about to change. Same thing for cattle, they'll feed like crazy before a storm.

I've read basically the same thing about fish. Thinking back, some of my best fishing days, were just before a storm. But that's over my head, I won't speculate.

Good point I know if I open the hive and they are all pissy for no apparent reason its going to storm that day, next time this happens I'll just close them up and go fishing lol