Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hiving another swarm

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Barry Digman 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Hi Berry

From the video you have the swarm trap upside down, small hole on top, large hole in the bottom.

If I was looking at it, for a home for me. I would say it neads a new roof. and the large hole in bottom would make it hard to defend.

And when I hive a swarm, I cover them up wright away.

Becuse after being put in the hive they check out there new home, if it has a hole in the roof, I would not stay.

They only know what is, not what you are going to do.

Paul

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks, Paul. Yes, I know the trap is upside down. In fact, if you look at the vid you'll see I point that out at 0:32. They were already clustering on the fence at the post and the trap was sitting with other gear about 6 ft. away so I just flipped it upside down on the post because it was handy, still had lemongrass scent in it, and I figured it would slow them from moving on. As you can see, it worked. :)

I leave the outer cover and the inner open a couple of inches until they settle down. As long as they're fanning like crazy on the edge of the box I leave them alone to disburse pheromone. When they seem to cease and I don't see that Nasonov gland exposed I button 'em up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.