Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

My absconded hive

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  D Semple 
#1 ·
I have a colony of bees in an overhanging eave of a garage. I really would like to try to hive them but it's November in Michigan. My mentor says wait until next April and just try to feed them. Any different opinions?

#6 ·
If you remove them now, they wont make it through your winter. You will more than likely invest your time and money and end up with nothing in return except starved, dead bee's come spring.

If you leave them alone you may get a great spring build up and end up with twice as many bee's for your time!!

#8 ·
I got to work with a really experienced beek recently, and he saved the brood comb this way: get some empty frames, a staple gun and some cotton string. The string needs to be soft enough that you can break it by pulling it between your two hands. Nylon doesn't work. Run the string in an accordion pattern from the top corner to the bottom, up and down, eventually to the other top corner on one side. When you are pulling out the comb, lay it in the frame, and when you have it filled, staple string onto the open side in the same manner. The bees will attach the comb to the frame and discard the string. Cheaper and easier than trying to sandwich comb!

Reading my description, it seems unclear, I will try to post a photo later!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.