Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

ants

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  timg 
#1 ·
I've got a big ant problem and don't know what to do because I don't want to hurt my bees. The ants entrance/exit is right next to the hive. I have my hive on bricks in the shape of a square could a stick some ant killer underneath the hive or would the bees wedge themselves thought the bricks to get at it?
I've got some pictures of the hive if anyone wants to see.

Joseph Tona

#3 ·
No, they are not hurting my bees (they might be but I think they are just there for the sugar.) they are just annoying for the bees. The ants are crawling all over the place and the bees are batting the ants with their wings. The bees will not drink in the feeder were the ants are coming in.
This is a new swarm I just caught and it's my first hive I just don't want hundreds of ants annoying and steeling from my bees.

#4 ·
If you have access to a welder, use 3/8 angle iron and make a 4 legged "U" shaped stand 16 1/2x24. Then place lithium grease around the legs. I started using this on all my hives when I developed an ant problem. Since then I haven't seen a single ant. If you are interested, I sell them for 14.95 plus shipping.

------------------
Tim Gifford

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.